List Mgmt. Josh Kelly to North | PConnors - Kelly would come home for family reasons -NBowen says NM $10m/9yrs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Josh Kelly trade: Brian Lake questions whether Giants midfielder is marketable enough for mega deal
riley_beveridge.jpg

PREMIERSHIP star Brian Lake has questioned whether Greater Western Sydney young gun Josh Kelly is marketable enough to earn one of the league’s biggest contracts.
It was reported during the week that Kelly is the subject of a mammoth nine-year contract offer from North Melbourne, rumoured to be worth around $9 million across that period.

It would make the 22-year-old, who has played just 62 senior games, one of the highest paid players in the competition and the holder of one of the AFL’s longest deals.

But Lake, who won three consecutive flags with Hawthorn, has questioned whether the Kangaroos will benefit off the field from the move, as well as on it.

“It’s a lot of money and the guys that are getting those big contracts at the moment are more marketable players,” Lake told Fox Footy’s AFL 360.

“Josh Kelly, is he a marketable player? If he does go to North, are they going to put him on all the advertising and all the memorabilia? And can he handle that at such a young age?

“The club is spending that much money, you’d want someone that they can get some reimbursement from, marketing-wise.”

Kelly has enjoyed a stellar start to the season, racking up 27 disposals and kicking three goals in Greater Western Sydney’s 102-point victory over Gold Coast last Saturday.

But former North Melbourne player Nick Dal Santo questioned whether the Kangaroos would be better served looking at established players within the league at season’s end.

“You’ve got to think if you’ve got $1 million in your salary cap, are there other people out there?” Dal Santo asked.

“Nat Fyfe is the obvious one and he’s going to be (worth) a lot more than $1 million, but do you weigh that up as an investment?

“Do you take Kelly or do you put out another $500,000 and make it $1.5 million and get Fyfe? Then you get the marketability and the extra sponsors and members — and he’s a decent player.”
Personally, I'd rather take Kelly and keep 500k of cap space...that might enable us to get Dusty. Personally I'd rather Dusty plus Kelly rather than just Fyfe.....Mainly because I can't wait to head over to the Richmond board the day the Dusty deal gets announced.....

Josh Kelly trade: Brian Lake questions whether Giants midfielder is marketable enough for mega deal
riley_beveridge.jpg

PREMIERSHIP star Brian Lake has questioned whether Greater Western Sydney young gun Josh Kelly is marketable enough to earn one of the league’s biggest contracts.
It was reported during the week that Kelly is the subject of a mammoth nine-year contract offer from North Melbourne, rumoured to be worth around $9 million across that period.

It would make the 22-year-old, who has played just 62 senior games, one of the highest paid players in the competition and the holder of one of the AFL’s longest deals.

But Lake, who won three consecutive flags with Hawthorn, has questioned whether the Kangaroos will benefit off the field from the move, as well as on it.

“It’s a lot of money and the guys that are getting those big contracts at the moment are more marketable players,” Lake told Fox Footy’s AFL 360.

“Josh Kelly, is he a marketable player? If he does go to North, are they going to put him on all the advertising and all the memorabilia? And can he handle that at such a young age?

“The club is spending that much money, you’d want someone that they can get some reimbursement from, marketing-wise.”

Kelly has enjoyed a stellar start to the season, racking up 27 disposals and kicking three goals in Greater Western Sydney’s 102-point victory over Gold Coast last Saturday.

But former North Melbourne player Nick Dal Santo questioned whether the Kangaroos would be better served looking at established players within the league at season’s end.

“You’ve got to think if you’ve got $1 million in your salary cap, are there other people out there?” Dal Santo asked.

“Nat Fyfe is the obvious one and he’s going to be (worth) a lot more than $1 million, but do you weigh that up as an investment?

“Do you take Kelly or do you put out another $500,000 and make it $1.5 million and get Fyfe? Then you get the marketability and the extra sponsors and members — and he’s a decent player.”
Valid points I think.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Valid points I think.

Putting this deal forward will now mean the media will focus on every game that Kelly plays until the end of the year.
We'll also get a year to review his performance as they will likely hold off contract talks until then. It also means we can rejig the offer based on his performance during that period of time.
In a way, we have made him more marketable this year.

Winning games is the best marketing you can get and basing your recruitment strategy around getting marketable player is just stupid imo.

Another thing. Am I getting paranoid ?But every little snippet i hear from 'experts' on Kelly's deal is he should stay in Mt Druitt and play for premierships.
They all would make s**t financial advisers

Putting this deal forward will now mean the media will focus on every game that Kelly plays until the end of the year.
We'll also get a year to review his performance as they will likely hold off contract talks until then. It also means we can rejig the offer based on his performance during that period of time.
In a way, we have made him more marketable this year.
Yes true and he's only a long term injury away from deflating that value

Congrats to the marketing team at North. Job done.
Wouldn't think it was our decision. Kelly's management would have released the information. Yes, we have received good PR but this could also turn ugly as some have already alluded to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't think it was our decision. Kelly's management would have released the information. Yes, we have received good PR but this could also turn ugly as some have already alluded to.
Damn straight. When Martin, Fyfe and Kelly sign everybody want in then. We'll be turning players away.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

riley_beveridge.jpg

If Fox Footy can use Brian Lake in their marketing mix, I'm sure our guys will be get a fair return from a Prodigal Son Of story.

Worst comes to worst, we make the giants over pay on Kelly then we swoop in and snatch up Devon Smith and Jacob Hopper.
Yeah at the very least were forcing these clubs to pay more and gobble up more of their salary caps... So we're hurting rivals just by making these offers

I thought that was harsh initially....he has an angelic almost cherubic countenance....but the more I looked at it the more it became A Jokeresque sneer.... So yeah pile in with the footies....
Personally, I wouldn't bother with the footy. He's just got one of those melons......

Its not about members its about sponsorship.

anyhoo, I'm only a member because of Jim and Phil so obviously we need x and y. That's why we must get Dusty as well!

Yes but NDS usd that line.

Actually I get the feeling he talks so fast that he has to fill up the time with whatever comes into his head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back