List Mgmt. Josh Kelly to North | PConnors - Kelly would come home for family reasons -NBowen says NM $10m/9yrs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dylan Shiel re-signs with GWS Giants until 2019, and hopes Josh Kelly stays too
NEIL CORDY, The Daily Telegraph

GUN midfielder Dylan Shiel has extended his time at the GWS Giants until the end of 2019 and hopes his close mate Josh Kelly will do the same.

Shiel didn’t have to weigh up a $9 million, nine-year offer like Kelly but he has still been the subject of committed interest from Victorian clubs since he left Melbourne for the Giants six years ago.

He has decided to stay on for at least another two seasons beyond this year.

It’s the third time he has recommitted to the Giants.

“The real question I face is do I want to stay for team success or do I want to return to Melbourne where I will get more money,” Shiel said.

“I’ve spoken to blokes like Steve Johnson and Brett Deledio and they have both said money isn’t everything but team success is more important. It is something that drives me and the playing group. For us to get there we need to make personal sacrifices.”

Johnson has played in three premierships at Geelong and wants a fourth at GWS, while former Richmond star Deledio is after his first.

Saturday’s win over North Melbourne was Shiel’s 90th game with the Giants.

The last time he played the Kangaroos at Blundstone Arena in Hobart it was just the Giants’ second match ever and they were beaten by 129 points. It was the first of a dozen century-plus beltings to come in the next three seasons.

Kelly arrived in 2014, so he only played in two of those triple-figure assaults. But one is more than enough for any player to feel the pain that comes with them.

He isn’t a foundation member like Shiel, Jeremy Cameron, Devon Smith and co but he has seen the hard times as well as the good and been a key part of their build to premiership favouritism.

“Josh’s decision is in a league of its own,” Shiel said of his mate’s possible move to the Kangaroos.

“I’m really close to him and have a lot to do with him outside the footy club.

“I know Josh wants to remain at this footy club and I hope he stays and continues to buy into the footy club.

“He has to consider his life as well and life after footy. It’s an enormous amount of money he has been offered and puts him in a really difficult situation.”

As much as Shiel and his teammates want Kelly to stay, they won’t be twisting his arm every time they see him.

“We won’t be applying any pressure to him,” Shiel said. “It’s a career decision and a life decision for him.

“In a way it was an easy decision to stay because we are in a position to achieve something.

“I know Josh sees that and I hope, we all hope, he makes a decision in favour of the Giants.”

Dylan Shiel re-signs with GWS Giants until 2019, and hopes Josh Kelly stays too
NEIL CORDY, The Daily Telegraph

GUN midfielder Dylan Shiel has extended his time at the GWS Giants until the end of 2019 and hopes his close mate Josh Kelly will do the same.

Shiel didn’t have to weigh up a $9 million, nine-year offer like Kelly but he has still been the subject of committed interest from Victorian clubs since he left Melbourne for the Giants six years ago.

He has decided to stay on for at least another two seasons beyond this year.

It’s the third time he has recommitted to the Giants.

“The real question I face is do I want to stay for team success or do I want to return to Melbourne where I will get more money,” Shiel said.

“I’ve spoken to blokes like Steve Johnson and Brett Deledio and they have both said money isn’t everything but team success is more important. It is something that drives me and the playing group. For us to get there we need to make personal sacrifices.”

Johnson has played in three premierships at Geelong and wants a fourth at GWS, while former Richmond star Deledio is after his first.

Saturday’s win over North Melbourne was Shiel’s 90th game with the Giants.

The last time he played the Kangaroos at Blundstone Arena in Hobart it was just the Giants’ second match ever and they were beaten by 129 points. It was the first of a dozen century-plus beltings to come in the next three seasons.

Kelly arrived in 2014, so he only played in two of those triple-figure assaults. But one is more than enough for any player to feel the pain that comes with them.

He isn’t a foundation member like Shiel, Jeremy Cameron, Devon Smith and co but he has seen the hard times as well as the good and been a key part of their build to premiership favouritism.

“Josh’s decision is in a league of its own,” Shiel said of his mate’s possible move to the Kangaroos.

“I’m really close to him and have a lot to do with him outside the footy club.

“I know Josh wants to remain at this footy club and I hope he stays and continues to buy into the footy club.

“He has to consider his life as well and life after footy. It’s an enormous amount of money he has been offered and puts him in a really difficult situation.”

As much as Shiel and his teammates want Kelly to stay, they won’t be twisting his arm every time they see him.

“We won’t be applying any pressure to him,” Shiel said. “It’s a career decision and a life decision for him.

“In a way it was an easy decision to stay because we are in a position to achieve something.

“I know Josh sees that and I hope, we all hope, he makes a decision in favour of the Giants.”
Its ok for him to say that when his deal b4 the extension was way greater than what they can offer JK.........We dont read theyre all taking paycuts to keep Josh Kelly there do we ??

[QUOTE
“I’ve spoken to blokes like Steve Johnson and Brett Deledio and they have both said money isn’t everything but team success is more important.”[/QUOTE]

Pardon?

I know Josh wants to remain at this footy club and I hope he stays and continues to buy into the footy club.

The old 'wants to stay at the football club'. He's gone. (ok I am wishful thinking but it does often lead that way :))

[QUOTE
“I’ve spoken to blokes like Steve Johnson and Brett Deledio and they have both said money isn’t everything but team success is more important.”

Pardon?[/QUOTE]
Who quoted that?? Anyway one played in a team of champions and experienced success ( On a lower salary )....while the other played in a team of *s and got paid a boat load of money.
GWS have lost one flag already........who to say they win it this year??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what Dylan Shiel is saying in that article is that the GWS cannot match anywhere what we are offering but you are a better chance to win a premiership.

Kelly doesnt really want to leave but when presented with a 9 x 9M vs 4 x 2.5M then you really do need to make a sensible decision.

If someone walked up to you as a 22 yo footballer and said i will guarantee to pay you 1M per year for the next 9 years, it would be a tough rejection to make. His manager will be giving him the "what if" speech.

If he doesnt sign by the end of April, then i reckon he will accept our offer

On SM-G928I using BigFooty.com mobile app

If I was his manager I'd be pushing him to sign on to North....that 2-5% or whatever they get in commission would be a nice addition to Connors for the next 9 years :)

If he doesnt sign by the end of April, then i reckon he will accept our offer

On SM-G928I using BigFooty.com mobile app

When we hear the magic words "Josh has decided to put contract talks on hold until the end of the year to concentrate on playing good football", I'll be convinced.

[QUOTE
“I’ve spoken to blokes like Steve Johnson and Brett Deledio and they have both said money isn’t everything but team success is more important.”

Pardon?[/QUOTE]

One speaks from experience, the other from regret.

We should also make noises about Spargo.

Sure draft him, but if he's good and his old man played for North we will come for him.
Well we will have the chance to draft him now that he is ineligible for GWS to pick him up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back