List Mgmt. Josh Kelly to North | PConnors - Kelly would come home for family reasons -NBowen says NM $10m/9yrs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Notice a few Giants fan on twitter last night saying the deal is done & will be signed this week.
Wasn't he supposed to have signed in February? I'm not sure a couple of fans on twitter are going to get this news any quicker than the journos who are making phone calls day and night to players , managers and people inside the club

Unfortunately it Looks like Kelly will sign late this week or early next week. Kid obviously has rocks in his head and isn't very switched on
Good luck to him. We've made a competitive offer and it's his choice. GWS will be forced to pay him better than had we not made an offer, and that cap pressure may allow us to target other players. And it's clear we have a war chest and the guts to use it aggressively.

That's my read on the situation too, we've had a lack of low draft picks combined with the reaming of the talent pool by the expansion clubs. We haven't had the chance to draft any quality outside mids for some time.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

100% correct!!

And at 4 and zip this is our opportunity for those low picks. A very good friend of mine has his son playing for the Pioneers under 16's. He's had two weeks off in the last 12 months. Is fit as a fiddle.

My point being the amount of work that goes into these kids it is now much easier to predict those that are near certainties. If we had 3 picks under 25 this season i am confident the one area holding us back would be near fixed. Also remembering Ahern to come.

As it stands we are ranked .....

• 2nd for hit outs per match
  • 2nd for marks inside 50 ( that did shock me somewhat)
  • 2nd for rebounds from def 50
  • 3rd in least opponent rebound from 50
  • 14th for inside 50 per game.
  • 12th clearances
  • 17th for opponent inside 50
  • 18th opponent goal assist per game
  • 17th opposition goals per game
  • 14th opponent uncontested possession per game
Our issues revolve around our midfield. We have one elite mid in Cunners- I understand why the club has offered 9 mil to Kelly. I think we will miss him but am rapt we've had a red hot go. Also reckon other player managers out there will approach us regarding our 9 mil war chest, it is much easier recruiting players that want to be here and cheaper! 9 mil should get us two!

Finish low while pushing the very best is a brilliant strategy, whether by design or fluke. No one could say we are currently miles off because we aren't.

Pick the eyes out of the draft ( mids) play JZ fwd with limited time in the guts........ and while Bob could very well these days be your aunt he will still be related.:thumbsu:

Fair argument.
If we finish 15th and have picks 4,22,40,58,76,94 these are the kind of deals I would look at

Goldstein to anywhere for pick 20
Dumont and pick 4 to GWS for Kelly and pick 50
Swallow and pick 40 to Gold Coast for pick 26 and 62
Thomas and pick 76 to Richmond for pick 45 and 83

Crows win the flag and we offer Otten a deal he can't refuse to finish his career in Melbourne like 2 million over 3 years and give up pick 50 to get him.

Go into the draft with

Picks 20,22,26,45,58,62,83,92 and Kelly(23)and otten(29)
Throw in a fit and fresh Paul Ahern a top 10 draft pick to return to footy after a year

Round 1 2018 will look like this

F Higgins Brown Turner
HF Garner Waite Simpkin
C Clarke Kelly Wood
HB McMillan Durdin Otten
B McDonald Tarrant Atley
1r Preuss Ziebell Cunnington
Inter hrovat, Ahern, McKay, EVW

giphy.gif

As it stands we are ranked .....

• 2nd for hit outs per match
  • 2nd for marks inside 50 ( that did shock me somewhat)
  • 2nd for rebounds from def 50
  • 3rd in least opponent rebound from 50
  • 14th for inside 50 per game.
  • 12th clearances
  • 17th for opponent inside 50
  • 18th opponent goal assist per game
  • 17th opposition goals per game
  • 14th opponent uncontested possession per game
In other words...

We win the hit outs, then struggle to get the clearance, [and when we do we turn it over pretty regularly] generally allowing the opposition to flick the ball around at will before strolling into the I50 and kicking goals at a fair rate of knots. Like the defenders at Troy, the number of times it comes in means we get plenty of practice at repelling attacks and opportunities for R50s and, on the odd occasion we get the ball inside 50, we're a chance to mark. They're so shocked we got it in there, they struggle to rebound the ball.

n.b. [the italicised text is based on an assumed high ranking in clangers/turnovers]

I'd turn for you GR

Dont yell or laugh but if we cant get Kelly id go for Dusty and Rocky.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem is if players like Brown, Sympkin and other capable up and coming players get better (depending if Scott starts giving them games of course) - clubs will be poaching them.
Will we have enough to keep them in the long haul?
We've seen how Franklin and Tippet have caused quality players to move on

Are you in the cheer squad?

Lol a couple of fans have tweeted that Kelly will re-sign. They would know how? Hey Josh, dont leave. JK responds "all good". Yay hes staying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back