List Mgmt. Josh Kelly to North | PConnors - Kelly would come home for family reasons -NBowen says NM $10m/9yrs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He won't leave the Giants next contract
Theres a little thing called a salary cap Thringy .........there are way too many good players there that have signed decent deals that should see and block or hinder GWS real ability to give what his real value is. Thats the reason they put him into the leadership group, a subtle massege to say we want you but we cant compensate you realistically.

Story in the hun by John Ralph sais he will rebuff any offer and renegotiate a deal with GWS.

Edit. also said he is best friends with the Bont. :huh:

That's not a major concern any more IMO.

Players these days are acutely aware of the market for their services and in particular that in demand players are going to be able to get overs prices for those services.

It's why the Dogs, whilst in complete crisis meltdown, could bring in an unproven kid for stupid money. While you'd think the playing list would crack the shits they didn't bat an eyelid and got to business winning a flag.

Our players aren't going to begrudge Kelly coming here on a fat pay packet.

Different scenario.

Dogs were on their knees and had to fight back against GWS. The Boyd deal was like a line in the sand moment for that club, which no doubt would have been an easy sell to the playing group.

Boyd was also (at the time) being declared as a generational key forward, and Buddy had only recently been paid mega bucks so it wasn't beyond the realms of insanity to pay up for a key forward, a type the Bulldogs didn't have on their list.

We aren't in crisis mode, swiping back to take a stand. Kelly is a midfielder, a very good one but not (IMO) one that is going to put the team on his back and drag you all the way to the summit. You pay the big dollars for those types.

Thanks for that.

So you're happy to pay him more than Dangerfield, Fyfe, Bont, Sloane, Martin, Kennedy etc?

He's good, but no where near that good.
Dangerfield, Fyfe, Bont, Sloane, Martin, Kennedy aren't playing for us . So whats your point? We have to pay overs to get him here.......we were prepared to pay overs for Heeney and he declined, we cant keep playing games here lad.......its coming to a point where we have to go "all in" here. And why not do it to a kid whose old man played for the club years back........

Story in the hun by John Ralph sais he will rebuff any offer and renegotiate a deal with GWS.

Edit. also said he is best friends with the Bont. :huh:
So he's coming to North!
Thanks for that.

So you're happy to pay him more than Dangerfield, Fyfe, Bont, Sloane, Martin, Kennedy etc?

He's good, but no where near that good.
Any new deals for elite players will be far more after the new player contract negotiations are sorted and you have to expect to pay a premium to entice an elite player to switch clubs.

A new deal for Josh Kelly will be more than what those players are on currently.

Different scenario.

Dogs were on their knees and had to fight back against GWS. The Boyd deal was like a line in the sand moment for that club, which no doubt would have been an easy sell to the playing group.

Boyd was also (at the time) being declared as a generational key forward, and Buddy had only recently been paid mega bucks so it wasn't beyond the realms of insanity to pay up for a key forward, a type the Bulldogs didn't have on their list.

We aren't in crisis mode, swiping back to take a stand. Kelly is a midfielder, a very good one but not (IMO) one that is going to put the team on his back and drag you all the way to the summit. You pay the big dollars for those types.

Scenario schmenario.

Point is players understand how the market works. Our boys won't be getting their noses out of joint if we pay overs to get someone in.

What would get their nose out of joint is if that person came in acting like a tool cos they were on big bucks, especially if they don't deliver. But there's no reason to assume that would be the case.

Whether we should or not offer Kelly the big bucks is not the issue I was responding to.

Getting Boyd (who by the way was s**t in round 1.....as mostly usual) at massive overs was reason for their flag?

Not all the other much more important factors? Ok.

Who gives a stuff about round 1? How was his grand final performance last year? He was a huge part in them winning that game.
I was just trying to make the point that going all out and paying overs (which is what is required these days to get young stars), doesn't always end in tears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does this sort of news about big offers usually come around this early, especially being Round 2?

Anyway, I can just see it now.

Arch and Stevo pull up to Kelly's home in Sydney.

"Hey Glen, Stevo. Nice to see you guys, but what are you doing here?"

Stevo: "We've come to take you home Josh."

Josh: "What?"

Arch: "What he means to say Josh, is...."

Stevo: "Get in the *ingg car Josh!"

Josh: "I think you guys better leave"

*Sounds of struggling, followed by gunshot's

"BREAKING NEWS JUST IN. North Melbourne have made a huge deal to Brisbane Lion midfielder, Ryan Bastinac."

Good offer. Not many people know that Bastinac PFNAAK.

I had a lot to take into consideration before making that joke. Josh Kelly is too important a topic to just dash off ill-considered one liners. In the end I decided that the idea of Luke being the old news and apparently disappointing F/S supplanted by the newer, sexier model the same year he got the number was the better approach than his old man's number, which is always overrated anyway.

I then attempted to stretch it out by implying that I did mean 14 all along and it was in fact a complicated series of number swaps involving 14, 11 and probably others.

Wasted on you people.
Saw it, and saw through it. ;)

We are at least 2-300,000 per year less desirable a destination than pretty much all other clubs (despite the QLD clubs & Carlton) at the moment. We would have to table crazy offers to Kelly and Dusty for them to consider us plus have a pretty promising year I would have thought. Fingers crossed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After the retirements at the end of 2017 we will barely have 10 players on more than minimum wage. Other than Brisbane I can't think of a team that can match what we can offer. Ahern needs to get in his ear and tell him how cheap living near and shopping at Vic Market is compared to Lakemba.

After the retirements at the end of 2017 we will barely have 10 players on more than minimum wage. Other than Brisbane I can't think of a team that can match what we can offer. Ahern needs to get in his ear and tell him how cheap living near and shopping at Vic Market is compared to Lakemba.

If playing for the the same club and wearing the jumper as his dad doesn't do the job, nothing will.

Not if he (and manager) nominates us and says happy to go to PSD to get here.

That's the key to these kinds of trades to reverse the power. I'm guessing he won't and it's just about the $.

If he goes into the PSD and the ballpark offer is known publicly, the clubs below us can take him in the PSD. Not a lot of players go the PSD route, it is risky.

If he is not signed up to GWS in two months, I will then be confident of getting him. The fact that Cameron semi-confirmed that we tabled an offer is interesting.

Yeah, it is generally a good indication if you can't get a gun signed by mid-season it isn't looking great for your ability to hold on to them. However, the destination might be unknown. Most of the big name guns who dragged on in terms of contract negotiation ended up leaving. It will be interesting. I think we have been a bit too penny pinching when it comes to a lot of other players we have chased, you have to be aggressive. Your first offer on the table needs to be something that they can't refuse.

It is going to cost us our left nut to get him though, we would want to be fairly confident we can rise significantly with what we have, kelly and perhaps some free agent, I doubt we will see a good pick again for some time if we can convince him to leave.

VIC CLUBS SET TO MISS OUT ON GIANTS GUNS

Emerging GWS star Josh Kelly will rebuff offers from Victorian clubs including North Melbourne to remain at GWS, reports JON RALPH.

But exciting half forward Devon Smith has parked contract talks in the short term after an injury-riddled 2016 season.New leadership group member Kelly continues to be linked to Melbourne clubs and is best mates with Dogs star Marcus Bontempelli. They travelled together overseas in the off-season, with Kelly’s expected two-year deal taking longer than the Giants would have liked to sign. Melbourne clubs with significant salary cap room had hoped he might be lured home after playing TAC Cup at the Sandringham Dragons. But the 22-year-old No.2 selection from the 2013 national draft has rebuffed rivals and is negotiating exclusively with the Giants.

Smith has Victorian suitors including Geelong, with the former Geelong Grammar pupil buying an investment property in the town over the summer. His ability to hit the scoreboard as well as put on elite defensive pressure means he will have no shortage of Victorian suitors. But his manager Ned Guy said on Wednesday any delay in his talks were purely down to him wanting to re-establish himself in the team after a PCL injury. Smith missed eight games mid-season with knee issues last year and with solid form under his belt this year is keen to stay. Smith will likely return to Geelong when his career is over but Guy said he would negotiate only with the Giants."We are just going to let him get some footy under his belt. We opened discussions and were not quite at a point where the parties were happy to sign off on the numbers," Guy said. "They are happy to let him play some footy for no other reason that he missed some footy last year. We are not a million miles apart. After a good pre-season he is confident he can play the footy he knows he can."

GWS coach Leon Cameron said today he was hopeful of an announcement next month for Kelly.

Wait didn't it take us until August to resign Wood?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Wood had to prove things on field in order to improve contract value.

If reports are true this is not an issue given we have a big fat f***ing contract in front of Josh.

I so hope your correct . The last few trade periods have confirmed to me we are a last resort. I guess it eventually trickles down to club's like ours after most of the bigger club's have caught their fish so therefore no cap space.. Geelong, Hawthorn , Collingwood , Richmond , Sydney, bulldogs .. I guess it's the next group of club's inline ..

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back