List Mgmt. Josh Kelly to North | PConnors - Kelly would come home for family reasons -NBowen says NM $10m/9yrs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is interesting. Firstly, selfish interests aside, I would hate to see the AFL end up like this. These kind of mid-season announcements cause so much grief in the NRL and there is currently a groundswell to try and move away from it, to something more like the AFL model. Could you imagine if Mason Wood signed with the Swans and announced it mid last year?

Secondly, it's still technically against the rules. Could just see the AFL vetoing the contract and penalising us for dealing with a contracted player prior to trade eon, even though everyone else does it covertly.

I'm happy to wait until October to find out Josh is coming.

Yeah you can't sign a contract but everyone "agrees in principle" right?

Yeah you can't sign a contract but everyone "agrees in principle" right?

It's ok if Buddy or Treloar or Scully or Harry Bumfluff do it but should this occur with any relationship to the NMFC watch the media ejaculate with cries of how it was the day the sport died, integrity has gone, do we want to be like the NRL, oh it used to be about the love of the club etc etc.

It's ok if Buddy or Treloar or Scully or Harry Bumfluff do it but should this occur with any relationship to the NMFC watch the media ejaculate with cries of how it was the day the sport died, integrity has gone, do we want to be like the NRL, oh it used to be about the love of the club etc etc.
Why? Will Lindsay be involved in the trade?

I'm hopeful that we can snare Harry Bumfluff along with Kelly and Martin. s**t we will be a powerhouse in 2018 if Bumfluff comes to the Blue and White. :stern look

Kelly is 22 years old. If we are writing him off based on that, we can draw a line through McDonald, Garner and co.

Given his fitness etc he could conceivably still play 250 games for the club. That's a lot of good football.

I'm not saying 22 is too old, just that I don't see the point of trading a good 18 year old for a good 22 year old given we are not having a crack at the flag in the time it will take to develop the 18 year old into a proper footy player.

Everything is a risk anyway u look at it but getting Kelly could also make other gun players think of choosing North now and in the future.

I think on-field results will do that

Im hoping things turn around quickly. I base that off my belief that more could be achieved quickly, with the list we already have with only a few club personnel changes.

And that's very true. We could easily be 2-4, 3-3, or even 4-2 right now and we'd probably all have a very different opinion of where our list is at.

Why? Will Lindsay be involved in the trade?

Placing conspiracy hat on, imagine Lindsay Thomas living Toby Greene's life.

With a previous dog act assault charge in his back pocket he then makes it a weekly goal to commit at least one s**t act onfield.

The entire AFL media would decry his penchant for violence, link his on and off field demeanor together and make him the face of coward punches.

I'm hopeful that we can snare Harry Bumfluff along with Kelly and Martin. s**t we will be a powerhouse in 2018 if Bumfluff comes to the Blue and White. :stern look

Chuck him on the wing, what a centre line:

Wood Swallow Bumfluff

Placing conspiracy hat on, imagine Lindsay Thomas living Toby Greene's life.

With a previous dog act assault charge in his back pocket he then makes it a weekly goal to commit at least one s**t act onfield.

The entire AFL media would decry his penchant for violence, link his on and off field demeanor together and make him the face of coward punches.

As much as i want a home grown, head-turning, top 3 draft pick, gun of our own, we...
A) prob wont have a top 3 pick anyway
B) prob better to take proven player yet still plenty of upside
C) skillset couldnt be a better fit
D) family ties
E) will benefit from 2 sources of developmental environments...(minimising norths lack in this field, if any does in fact exist)

What i want is a gift, to bend em over a barrel, but not going to happen if our track record is anything to go by.

This would give added impetus to attracting others to the club.

Now to get young Blakey & Scott on board.

Did you see Kingy on the couch last night? I was trying to watch it at work but got distracted, apparently he shot the first Torpedo over the bow in regards to what holds precedece (f/s or academy) Gerard the slimey piece of pond scum mentioned the swans should get boomer as an assistant coach so Cooper qualifies for their academy in 6 years.

I personally think after these 6 weeks, young Isaac Heeney would be kicking himself he didn't take our offer and we've never ever been closer to getting young Blakey. Young Scott (whose dad was my Gibbo of the 90's) is in the bag already.

Did you see Kingy on the couch last night? I was trying to watch it at work but got distracted, apparently he shot the first Torpedo over the bow in regards to what holds precedece (f/s or academy) Gerard the slimey piece of pond scum mentioned the swans should get boomer as an assistant coach so Cooper qualifies for their academy in 6 years.

I personally think after these 6 weeks, young Isaac Heeney would be kicking himself he didn't take our offer and we've never ever been closer to getting young Blakey. Young Scott (whose dad was my Gibbo of the 90's) is in the bag already.
The academy was set up to get youngsters to play AFL instead of Rugby etc by dangling the carrot of playing for their home town. It shouldn't be allowed take players who were destined to play AFL in their fathers footsteps.

Hutchy did make a very good point. Reckon there's a chance it becomes the first ever deal to be announced mid-season, NRL-style.

Sounds like the Giants want an answer soon. If he's coming, reckon they'll just put it out there to end speculation and not derail their flag tilt.

I think GWS learned from the McCarthy debacle that there is no point trying to keep someone who is intent on leaving, contract or not. They still have a ton of talent and it will still be challenging to keep the bulk of them together even with the loss of Kelly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would really love to know how much we have been in Josh's and Phil's ear over the years. Brad mentioned on FC that we would have picked him in the mini draft had we been able to trade into it so obviously we were speaking with Josh and Phil at the time.

Surely we must have mentioned that we want him at our club and would try and trade for him at the next available opportunity.

If we pull this off it must mean we have had this conversation with Josh and family going for 3 years

From the crows board:

"
North ate going hard at kelly. Everything else revolve around that. Their first pick at minimum goes there. They will want to get back into the draft so i think maybe offer them a 3rd for Dumont id we r into him."
Not bad, we should probably push pretty hard for a swap of 4th/5th rounders as well though.

This year's about game time for rookies and getting kelly now that we're 1-5.

If we **** this by beating up on bottom 6 teams and giving gws a valid excuse to go eleswhere i'll go spare.
Easy there Tiger. If the GWS don't want to trade with us we threaten to walk Kelly through to the Preseason Draft. They'll soon get it. :stern look

Easy there Tiger. If the GWS don't want to trade with us we threaten to walk Kelly through to the Preseason Draft. They'll soon get it. :stern look

Do we have the kahunas for such moves? Even then, it takes two to tango, josh would have to agree, and by all reports he's too honourable to cause anyone any ill will.

So here is a question - is now the right time for Kelly? We will have to give up at least a first round pick, probably a second rounder as well. That first pick could well be in the top 5. The addition of Kelly doesn't give us a Premiership list. Would we not be better to take our draft picks at the moment, and target him again when we are ready to give the 8 a crack, so that the addition of Kelly (or anyone else) will push us into the top 4?
In short? Yes. The fact that 2018 looks like an academy and F/S draft gives us flexibility we wouldn't otherwise have.

2018 and beyond we have Simpkin, Ahern, Kelly. Higgins still with class and X-factor for 3-4 more years, Cunners, JZ and Froggy in their prime to do the heavy lifting. Jacobs, Mountford and Clarke all pressing their case, with Thomas and B Scott to be drafted.

It would be the most dynamic midfield group we've had in a generation and well poised to do some damage right away. Brown and Wood will need help up forward (fingers crossed for McKay) but the KPDs look good if Durdin and Watson come on and if there's one thing our list managers are awesome at it's drafting flankers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back