Recommitted Josh Kelly [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

That's a dangerous road, if your club plays tough we shop him around. Nobody wins if we dont agree on on a trade, brinkmanship is risky though. It will take a modicum of goodwill to get the best outcome. There will be posturing no doubt.

Jeez I'm saying I'd trade pick 1 for him.

Jeez I'm saying I'd trade pick 1 for him.
I think we'd want a little more. We've spent time and effort developing him and he's less of a risk than going to the draft with pick one in my opinion.
It's all about his wishes and he may opt to stay if we can dig deep enough. If he does want to go and nominates North I think a deal gets done, cos it benefits both clubs and Kelly.
Of course North will negotiate in their interests as will we. I dont see our position as particularly weak though. He would get interest from other clubs easily, just whether they could come up with a deal acceptable to him and us.
I could see the Hawks, st Kilda and Carlton as possibly having the wherewithall if they had the desire. The Hawks a player trade in some form rather than picks. They might have cap space if a players like Gibson, Burgoyne and possibky Hodge call it a day.

Last edited:
I think we'd want a little more. We've spent time and effort developing him and he's less of a risk than going to the draft with pick one in my opinion.
It's all about his wishes and he may opt to stay if we can dig deep enough. If he does want to go and nominates North I think a deal gets done, cos it benefits both clubs and Kelly.
Of course North will negotiate in their interests as will we. I dont see our position as particularly weak though. He would get interest from other clubs easily, just whether they could come up with a deal acceptable to him and us.
I could see the Hawks, st Kilda and Carlton as possibly having the wherewithall if they had the desire. The Hawks a player trade in some form rather than picks. They might have cap space if a players like Gibson, Burgoyne and possibky Hodge call it a day.

If a player nominates a club then the chances they get there are really high. The Hawks 1st pick this year is your 2nd rounder. Saints currently have 1 and 9 and that puts them in the market.

What player from the Hawks would be worth an exchange for Kelly?

Clubs pick where out of contract players go now?

Keep in mind if Josh chooses us money isn't the only lure.

If a player nominates a club then the chances they get there are really high. The Hawks 1st pick this year is your 2nd rounder. Saints currently have 1 and 9 and that puts them in the market.

What player from the Hawks would be worth an exchange for Kelly?
Firstly agreed, if he nominates North a deal gets done. I was responding to claim I interpreted as we would be over a barrell, hence my response. The poster hasn't generally been unreasonable and I was adressing the issue not the person.
I've always had a loking for Bruest as a great fit for us, and the club has had a couple of goes in the past. Gunston another possibility.
A solid and very effective player or players from a great club culture to balance our talent is where I'm coming from.
Could be North for similar reasons of culture, but I dont really see the person that fits. Someone suggested Simkin and honestly I dont know him well enough and he seems to me the kinda guy you'd want to keep from what I saw on the weekend.

Always have, it's not hard to understand

If he wants to go to North he'll come to North. There won't be a bidding war if he refuses to go elsewhere. You don't pick where you're drafted to but you pick where you're traded to. And if we do end up with pick 1 as this hypothesis has stated then he's not bypassing us in the PSD.

Don't get me wrong here, I think both clubs will act fairly but I don't understand the proposed safety net of other clubs getting involved.

If he wants to go to North he'll come to North. There won't be a bidding war if he refuses to go elsewhere. You don't pick where you're drafted to but you pick where you're traded to. And if we do end up with pick 1 as this hypothesis has stated then he's not bypassing us in the PSD.

Don't get me wrong here, I think both clubs will act fairly but I don't understand the proposed safety net of other clubs getting involved.
Your post is obviously factually incorrect, and frankly I dont feel inclined to educate you as I sense it would be hard. You'll have to do your own research

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clubs pick where out of contract players go now?

Keep in mind if Josh chooses us money isn't the only lure.

Richmond told Deledio to check out GWS because Geelong were all talk and no walk in the last trade period. We know how that turned out.

Same thing happened with Mitch Clake, Brisbane, Melbourne and Freo.

Richmond told Deledio to check out GWS because Geelong were all talk and no walk in the last trade period. We know how that turned out.

Same thing happened with Mitch Clake, Brisbane, Melbourne and Freo.

I get that aspect but this is an unprecedented deal. I don't think anything will eventuate like people expect if he chooses to leave.

I get that aspect but this is an unprecedented deal. I don't think anything will eventuate like people expect if he chooses to leave.

If you think this deal offer is an excuse to ignore all logic and reason then I think you are setting yourself up to be disappointed. Players turn down big contacts from rival clubs (and your club regularly. See Hannebery and Milera) Ablett is a testament to the fact that enjoying your football should take priority over earning millions.

You’re also discounting the likely attitude Kelly will have in that he will want GWS to be reasonably compensated and when the destination club has invested so much into recruiting a player, to not get a deal done would have a massive impact on the clubs standing within the league.

It’s why Collingwood didn’t want to give up two first rounders for Treloar but because Richmond was willing to do just that, they forced the Pies hand in making them match that offer. In spite of Treloar choosing Collingwood over the Tigers.

I’ve said it before in this thread and I’ll say it again. You can offer a massive contract as if he’s a top 5 player in the league and then expect to get him at a discount at the trade table. In the end I do think IF he leaves GWS he will go to North but it will be for a minimum two 1st rounders

If you think this deal offer is an excuse to ignore all logic and reason then I think you are setting yourself up to be disappointed. Players turn down big contacts from rival clubs (and your club regularly. See Hannebery and Milera) Ablett is a testament to the fact that enjoying your football should take priority over earning millions.

You’re also discounting the likely attitude Kelly will have in that he will want GWS to be reasonably compensated and when the destination club has invested so much into recruiting a player, to not get a deal done would have a massive impact on the clubs standing within the league.

It’s why Collingwood didn’t want to give up two first rounders for Treloar but because Richmond was willing to do just that, they forced the Pies hand in making them match that offer. In spite of Treloar choosing Collingwood over the Tigers.

I’ve said it before in this thread and I’ll say it again. You can offer a massive contract as if he’s a top 5 player in the league and then expect to get him at a discount at the trade table. In the end I do think IF he leaves GWS he will go to North but it will be for a minimum two 1st rounders

I've not said anything about the trade price, I've repeatedly said the two clubs will get things done because neither club wants to mess up a solid trading foundation. I was responding in relation to a hypothetical number one pick and the further posted hypothetical of Josh Kelly being traded to another club against his wishes. I will go on record though and say I doubt severely any other club will match or better our offer and that Kelly will be a Roo or a Giant next season.

Wasn't he going to sign with GWS in the next two days about 3 weeks ago?
That's classic create a myth and use it to justify your position. Only word I've seen is there is no rush, no doubt the sooner the better from our point of view.

Wasn't he going to sign with GWS in the next two days about 3 weeks ago?
Rumour was until the Kangas put a long term godfather deal in front of him.

Lot to think about has the young lad.

Rumour is that if the Giants up their offer by 100k then he will stay.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Last edited:
That's classic create a myth and use it to justify your position.

Nah mate, i'm seeking clarification for a media report.

Only word I've seen is there is no rush, no doubt the sooner the better from our point of view.

Saw that also in more recent times. This gives me optimism from a North perspective when viewed in light of the 2015 Dangerfield machinations.

Rumour was until the Kangas put a long term godfather deal in front of him.

Lot to think about has the young lad.

Rumour is that if the Giants up their offer by 100k then he will stay.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Thanks for the clarification.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back