Recommitted Josh Kelly [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

So Boyd rec 1.6 mill of a 10.6 mill salary cap last year? 9 million left for the other 40 players?

It's better than that.

Using his figures:

2015 - ~$100k due to the rookie wage.
2018 to 2021 - $550k pa works out to $2.2m total.

$7m over seven years minus $2.3m over five of those years leaves Boyd earning $2.35m pa in 2016 and 2017.

Except:

"Annual salary figures released by the AFL show only six players were paid more than $1 million a year — up from four in 2016 — and none as much as Gillon McLachlan’s $1.7 million pay packet."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...d/news-story/68d4d266b7631535d12e49b224d1df02

It still doesn't add up.

Edit: As much as I hate Barrett's "journalism", this seems more reasonable - https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/afl/news/damian-barrett-reveals-tom-boyds-extraordinary-2016-salary.

$1.7m last year leaves it at an average of $1.04m a year over 2017-2021. Even if this year was frontloaded at between $1.2m and $1.6m it still leaves it at an average of $900k-$1m a year for the rest of the deal.

Last edited:
It's better than that.

Using his figures:

2015 - ~$100k due to the rookie wage.
2018 to 2021 - $550k pa works out to $2.2m total.

$7m over seven years minus $2.3m over five of those years leaves Boyd earning $2.35m pa in 2016 and 2017.

Except:

"Annual salary figures released by the AFL show only six players were paid more than $1 million a year — up from four in 2016 — and none as much as Gillon McLachlan’s $1.7 million pay packet."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...d/news-story/68d4d266b7631535d12e49b224d1df02

It still doesn't add up.

End of the day posters on here wouldn't know how much is front or back ended. Its guess work and most likely wrong - most also try and portray the contacts in the most beneficial light.

They have 4 of their best 10 players out of contract next year. Can't see them is the ball park for Kelly or Lever.

He may think he has a better opportunity playing finals as well as the big cash.

Before you get aggressive remember Treloar thought he was on a winner with the pies over the tigers.

In his opinion it might be the case.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
No aggression here. Just asking the question.
Treloar still might be right too, both team haven't played finals yet.

He may think he has a better opportunity playing finals as well as the big cash.

Before you get aggressive remember Treloar thought he was on a winner with the pies over the tigers.

In his opinion it might be the case.

After Boyd won a flag last year the opportunity to play finals would no longer be a major factor. The dogs went from basket case to premiers very quickly.

Also not so sure the Saints are a better chance to play finals this year or going forward anyway.

After Boyd won a flag last year the opportunity to play finals would no longer be a major factor. The dogs went from basket case to premiers very quickly.

Also not so sure the Saints are a better chance to play finals this year or going forward anyway.
I like Saints list on paper more than I do the Roos.

Im not saying its definate either (though personally i think they are on the up while north are heading down after a long period of being there abouts)

But kelly (if he even decides to go) may think they are and if the money is there then he may chose them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im not saying its definate either (though personally i think they are on the up while north are heading down after a long period of being there abouts)

But kelly (if he even decides to go) may think they are and if the money is there then he may chose them.

Based on what?

I like Saints list on paper more than I do the Roos.

Mate the Saints just got smashed by the Dogs, who aren't exactly flying. They're still rebuilding. As was evident on the weekend their best players are still their oldies.

McCartin can't get a kick, Bruce is not a true forward. Half their backline will need replacing in the next 3 years.

And they don't have a decent ruck.

They're pretenders. They'll get found out very soon.

Mate the Saints just got smashed by the Dogs, who aren't exactly flying. They're still rebuilding. As was evident on the weekend their best players are still their oldies.

McCartin can't get a kick, Bruce is not a true forward. Half their backline will need replacing in the next 3 years.

How are the best players the oldies? That being 2 players

I prefer Saints list...

Nathan Brown - Scott Thompson - ergh on both. Hugh Goddard seems like a better prospect than Hansen.
Jake Carlisle - Robbie Tarrant (atm Robbie Tarrant, but Jake is younger)
Seb Ross - Jack Ziebell - I like Seb Ross, but Ziebell has his own strengths.
Luke Dunstan - Ben Cunnington - Cunnington reminds me of Brad Sewell, Dunstan could do Cunningtons role & is younger.
Jack Steven - Trent Dumont - I'd take Steven any day of the weak.
Tom Hickey/Billy Longer - Todd Goldstein - Both Saints ruckman are younger & them verse Preuss is more a breakeven in my eyes.

Mason Wood, Jarrad Waite & Ben Brown vs
Josh Bruce, Tim Membrey & Paddy McCartin - Wood will be a very good footballer, but i have Saints infront.

Overall I think Kelly should pick Saints over Roos, as it's not about urgency to get that Premiership as he'll possibly get one this year, but he could join a very young Saint group & provide class & be with them for awhile with the midfield group which would be insane for years to come.

It's abit cute when Robbie Tarrant is 28, Lachie Hansen, Todd Goldstein all 28 also, Scott Thompson is 31 & Jarrad Waite 34.

Your spine is gonna lose some Key Defenders that hurts more than a HBF.

I prefer Saints list...

Nathan Brown - Scott Thompson - ergh on both. Hugh Goddard seems like a better prospect than Hansen.
Luke Dunstan - Ben Cunnington - Cunnington reminds me of Brad Sewell, Dunstan could do Cunningtons role & is younger.
Tom Hickey/Billy Longer - Todd Goldstein - Both Saints ruckman are younger & them verse Preuss is more a breakeven in my eyes.

Josh Bruce, Tim Membrey & Paddy McCartin - Wood will be a very good footballer, but i have Saints infront.

Overall I think Kelly should pick Saints over Roos, as it's not about urgency to get that Premiership as he'll possibly get one this year, but he could join a very young Saint group & provide class & be with them for awhile with the midfield group which would be insane for years to come.
This will go down well with the Roos fans

I prefer Saints list...

Nathan Brown - Scott Thompson - ergh on both. Hugh Goddard seems like a better prospect than Hansen. You forgot about Durdin.
Luke Dunstan - Ben Cunnington - Cunnington reminds me of Brad Sewell, Dunstan could do Cunningtons role & is younger. Dunstan? the bloke who got dropped?

Josh Bruce, Tim Membrey & Paddy McCartin - Wood will be a very good footballer, but i have Saints infront. Bruce cant get a game.

Good effort though....

I prefer Saints list...

Hugh Goddard should be compared to Sam Durdin

Luke Dunston should be compared to Dumont

And you left out Daw, Garner, McDonald, Preuss, Higgins, Williams, Hrovat, Turner,
Vickers-Willis, Ryan Clarke, Jy Simpkin, Paul Ahern, Ben McKay

These are guys that Kelly would be playing with.

Probably even put Tarren Thomas into that conversation too.

s**t, don't forget Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Back