Recommitted Josh Kelly [re-signs with GWS]

I hope he comes, but Scott Selwood. Surely he will be at Geelong next year but will probably be on 100g a year less

Probably close to minimum wage or be pushed into retirement if we need a list spot and cap space for a big name recruit. Is purely useful depth now.

Scott Selwood can't be in that much given he only got us band 3 compo in 2015. But with the AFL who knows...

Given the other FAs and what band compo they got for what salaries at the time hed be on 450-500 (Freo got the sam band for Mayne on the same salary etc) so it still saves cap if he is replaced by a draftee for 2020 imo.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
How so?

You'd think most clubs would be able to find the currency to get the deal done if they wanted. The majority of clubs have two first rounders to deal with.

GWS have cleared the decks to keep Coniglio and Kelly, you reckon they would let him leave for a couple of middling first rounders? They'd be looking for top 5 picks as part of the deal.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Given the other FAs and what band compo they got for what salaries at the time hed be on 450-500 (Freo got the sam band for Mayne on the same salary etc) so it still saves cap if he is replaced by a draftee for 2020 imo.

That sounds about right. Did he re-sign last year? Lose lose in the end end. We were filthy with band 3 compo and Selwood hang stayed on the park.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
GWS have cleared the decks to keep Coniglio and Kelly, you reckon they would let him leave for a couple of middling first rounders? They'd be looking for top 5 picks as part of the deal.
They can't make someone stay mate.

Two top 5 picks seems a bit over the top, that would be the most expensive trade in history.

Anyone with a top ten pick would be able to use that along with next years first and probably even expect something back.

As for the clubs that finish in the 8, well there are ways to upgrade your pick. Every club has a list of players they can use as value as well as picks.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong

Two top 5 picks seems a bit over the top, that would be the most expensive trade in history.

Anyone with a top ten pick would be able to use that along with next years first and probably even expect something back.

I wouldn't think 2 top 5 picks but they would want one and then another mid 1st rounder.

I'd trade whatever we get for Kelly plus our own first or future first but I don't think it would get anywhere close to meeting GWS' demands.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast

As for the clubs that finish in the 8, well there are ways to upgrade your pick. Every club has a list of players they can use as value as well as picks.

They can't make him stay but they can do an Adelaide RE: Dangerfield and not let him walk for nothing.

In a parallel universe Geelong get Dangerfield for nothing and use pick 9, Adelaide get pick 13 as compo. That would be pretty insulting to Crows fans.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
I wouldn't think 2 top 5 picks but they would want one and then another mid 1st rounder.

I'd trade whatever we get for Kelly plus our own first or future first but I don't think it would get anywhere close to meeting GWS' demands.
As it stand Carlton have pick 7 and a first rounder next year. That's plenty to get the deal done.

Hawks have 6 and a pick next year and have shown numerous times that they are more than happy to trade good players out to get deals done.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS

A trade is a two way street, even though it's virtual brinkmanship for all parties.. We've shown no interest in players recently but that's probably cap related.

"We can't make him stay" makes as much of a contribution to the discussion as me saying you cant make him want to go. Ie, none at all.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
They can't make him stay but they can do an Adelaide RE: Dangerfield and not let him walk for nothing.

In a parallel universe Geelong get Dangerfield for nothing and use pick 9, Adelaide get pick 13 as compo. That would be pretty insulting to Crows fans.
Yeah well Kelly isn't a FA so of course they don't let him walk for nothing.

Dangerfield is a good example trade wise though, he's a better footballer yet Geelong were able to get the deal done without a top 5 pick.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah well Kelly isn't a FA so of course they don't let him walk for nothing.

Dangerfield is a good example trade wise though, he's a better footballer yet Geelong were able to get the deal done without a top 5 pick.

Sorry got my wires crossed with Coniglio.

If Kelly goes GWS will hope he picks a team near the bottom.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
A trade is a two way street, even though it's virtual brinkmanship for all parties.. We've shown no interest in players recently but that's probably cap related.

"We can't make him stay" makes as much of a contribution to the discussion as me saying you cant make him want to go. Ie, none at all.
Not really. I was making the point that it's ridiculous to think that only one club have the currency to get the deal done.

To believe that the Giants will only deal with North because they have a top 5 pick is foolish.

If he chooses a club, both clubs will work together to get a fair deal done. And there are plenty of clubs outside of North that either have the currency or find it.

Back