Recommitted Josh Kelly [re-signs with GWS]

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
GWS would settle for 2 years and back themselves in to retain him once those 2 years are up.
I dont think the club should.The uncertainty affects the playing grouo. Given the size if Kellly's payment other players would be relying on his decision to sort out their own futures.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
I dont think the club should.The uncertainty affects the playing grouo. Given the size if Kellly's payment other players would be relying on his decision to sort out their own futures.
If the premiership window is considered open in that 2 years then absolutely yes they would and should sign him up.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
If the premiership window is considered open in that 2 years then absolutely yes they would and should sign him up.
There are more important issues, whatever a "premiership window" is. With or without Kelly I expects us to be contenders for at least a few years yet, if that's what it means.

FlyHigh18

Arden St Parking Inspector
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A second 2 year deal at GWS appears to be the most likely scenario... but only after a bidding war to drive up his price.

Farm Boy

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda

Professional sporting organisations back themselves in. They create an environment and culture in which they believe players want to be a part of - GWS would be no different to others clubs in that regard. They would back themselves in. If Kelly signs on this time, that will be twice that he has wanted to be a part of GWS. If that is the case, then based off of his past history, GWS would be confident Kelly would sign on once again.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
There are more important issues, whatever a "premiership window" is. With or without Kelly I expects us to be contenders for at least a few years yet, if that's what it means.
It means that if Kelly only wants to stay for 2 years, you keep him for those 2 years if you have a decent chance at a flag. Who cares if he leaves after that if he can help jag a premiership. It will have absolutely paid off regardless of what he does next.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
It means that if Kelly only wants to stay for 2 years, you keep him for those 2 years if you have a decent chance at a flag. Who cares if he leaves after that if he can help jag a premiership. It will have absolutely paid off regardless of what he does next.

Again it's not that simple to me. For us our maiden flag matters a lot, whenever it comes.

What matters more though is the culture and the values the club builds. That's hard to discern from outside the inner sanctum, but it's not hard to see it could be seen as selfish for a player to delay re-signing until he has a "gut feel" it's right. Or to put the club through the uncertainty every second year, and by extension some of his teamates contracts which would likeky be affected by his decision.

I'd rather lose any player than the values. Nick Haynes spoke of the younger players when he re-signed and said he hopes they can keep the values and the humility of the originals.

I get Josh's talent and his potential impact, but there are still circumstances where trading him could be a good option.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
So Kelly is staying.

So who will Norths use their 'war chest' to land instead?

I have a feeling we'll be focusing on key tall defence. Thompson will have a season left, we still don't know what Maj will be like coming back, we can't afford Tarrant being injured. Durdin isn't looking like he's going to come on as a first rounder, McKay looks ok but we won't know until he gets a decent run at it. Who that would be though I have no idea. Key forward may be a concern too if Wood doesn't take the next step.

Another 2 years gives him FA status and can pick any club/contract, including staying at GWS.
I'm aware. If he already knows he'd rather be at GWS then he may just accept a long term high value contract with them now instead of waiting two years to test the water. Very presumptuous to assume he is still hanging out for free agency.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Don't recall saying it was, but I'd imagine if it came down to another two years or trade him now GWS would rather keep him.

You can imagine that if you wish, I 'm far from convinced we wouldn't be better to trade in his case. For Cogs and a few if the others I would accept 2 years. He spent the goodwill taking until after the season to decide in 2017 in my vuew.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Doesnt want to sign up long term, clearly gone when hes a FA.
That’s exactly what The Bont has done. Doesn’t mean they’ll move. It makes sense for any player to keep their options open and improves their bargaining position in the future. It’s a short career.

Back