Rumour Josh Kennedy facing elbow surgery

Remove this Banner Ad

Not good news according to Perth Now, with Josh Kennedy potentially facing elbow surgery that might shut him down for the year.

"Kennedy and medical experts must decide whether he has surgery immediately and spend up to four months in recovery or delay any operation until after the season.
It appears the crucial spearhead cannot escape surgery with the amount of substantial soft tissue damage in his right elbow."

Edit: They're across this in the injury thread, mods plz merge if you want.

If he needs surgery he's gone for the year.

Silver lining is that at least our young KPP's get more game time..

Bottom 6 here we come.

Terrible news but the timing really isn't that bad. WC would likely make the 8 if he plays with strapping and injection but is 1, maybe 2 finals worth it?
I'd send him in for surgery so he's up and running next year when you get the rest of you KPP's back. You guys should be aiming for top 4 next year with them all back. I can also see Tom Lamb running through the midfield next year and causing other teams headaches, good size and great skill. As Prem87 says it will expose some youngsters as well which bodes well for the future.

Terrible news but the timing really isn't that bad. WC would likely make the 8 if he plays with strapping and injection but is 1, maybe 2 finals worth it?
I'd send him in for surgery so he's up and running next year when you get the rest of you KPP's back. You guys should be aiming for top 4 next year with them all back. I can also see Tom Lamb running through the midfield next year and causing other teams headaches, good size and great skill. As Prem87 says it will expose some youngsters as well which bodes well for the future.

That's true.

It just sucks that so many of our youngsters are also injured at the moment.

If we are realistically hoping to make the top four and push for a flag in the near future then playing in one or two finals this year would be immensely valuable IMO. I understand your point though, if we are going to lose Mackenzie, Brown and Kennedy for a year we might as well lose them all at once.

If we are realistically hoping to make the top four and push for a flag in the near future then playing in one or two finals this year would be immensely valuable IMO. I understand your point though, if we are going to lose Mackenzie, Brown and Kennedy for a year we might as well lose them all at once.
I appreciate the sentiment, if there was somehow a clause that said they all had to get injured once and only once, but there's no guarantee that it won't lead to issues in the future. We saw how tentative LeCras was with his elbow after he came back, Brown's issues have obviously plagued him for a long time, I get the school of thought but it's not really that much of a silver lining for me.

From what Hagdorn is saying (and you should take that with however many grains of salt as you like) *if* Kennedy chooses to play on with weekly injections/strapping then by the time we get to Round 23 his lower arm will be hanging by a thread. Surgery is always a last resort but if it's the option that gives best chance of full recovery then get it done now.

Just a season wasted. Every year we say lets get every one back and have a crack next year. Until we get injuries again. I have no faith in us having a reasonably healthy squad any more.

Stupid to even consider letting him play. If it was round 22 & we're sitting pretty in fifth place, then maybe you take the chance. But not with 17 games to go...

Phil Davis must feel pretty average right now, got absolutely pantsed by a bloke playing half the game with one arm completely rooted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I appreciate the sentiment, if there was somehow a clause that said they all had to get injured once and only once, but there's no guarantee that it won't lead to issues in the future. We saw how tentative LeCras was with his elbow after he came back, Brown's issues have obviously plagued him for a long time, I get the school of thought but it's not really that much of a silver lining for me.
I wasn't trying to spin it as a positive but it would feel worse if it happened 12 months from now and we were 5-0 with a near full strength squad.

We probably weren't premiership contenders before the injuries but any pretensions are completely extinguished now. Kennedy out for the season is the last straw. How can you compete with your four first choice KPPs out.? Three of your best players and leaders? The league's top goal kicker? Even reserve KP forwards like Tunbridge and Lamb are out.

The only four we are competing for now is possibly the last four. Year has become a purely developmental one. Wins are a bonus. A chance to see whether players like McInnes, Sinclair, Lycett and even Barass and Powell are up to it. I hope there is not too much pressure on Simpson for immediate success. Can't be done when you are hamstrung like this. I am positive about him as a coach. Surely Cransberg and the board, and the supporter base understand the situation.

We probably weren't premiership contenders before the injuries but any pretensions are completely extinguished now. Kennedy out for the season is the last straw. How can you compete with your four first choice KPPs out.? Three of your best players and leaders? The league's top goal kicker? Even reserve KP forwards like Tunbridge and Lamb are out.

The only four we are competing for now is possibly the last four. Year has become a purely developmental one. Wins are a bonus. A chance to see whether players like McInnes, Sinclair, Lycett and even Barass and Powell are up to it. I hope there is not too much pressure on Simpson for immediate success. Can't be done when you are hamstrung like this. I am positive about him as a coach. Surely Cransberg and the board, and the supporter base understand the situation.

I just hope the pressure will on the medical staff now and questions will be asked as to why each year we are suffering huge amounts of injuries.

The club should be investing in the best medical staff in Australia and new conditioning staff also.

I just hope the pressure will on the medical staff now and questions will be asked as to why each year we are suffering huge amounts of injuries.

The club should be investing in the best medical staff in Australia and new conditioning staff also.

I've heard that we pay the lowest wages and have the lowest qualified medical staff out of any team in the country. Now while I do find that very hard to believe (taking all hearsay with a grain of salt), given our financial position - it would make an awful lot of sense!

If that does happen to be the case, some serious questions must be asked about why that is...

Last edited:
I've heard that we pay the lowest wages and have the lowest qualified medical staff out of any team in the country. Now while I do find that very hard to believe (taking all hearsay with a grain of salt) - given our financial position, it would make an awful lot of sense!

If that does happen to be the case, some serious questions must be asked about why that is...

Very poor if true.

I don't quite see how this particular incident could be blamed on the medical staff?
He knocked his elbow on the field, they can't wrap these players in cotton wool.

It seemed safe enough for him to continue playing on Saturday, now it's up to him to decide what to do.

I don't quite see how this particular incident could be blamed on the medical staff?
He knocked his elbow on the field, they can't wrap these players in cotton wool.

It seemed safe enough for him to continue playing on Saturday, now it's up to him to decide what to do.

Yeah i agree what happened was an accident like the Emac and Brown situation but over the years there have been so many bad calls for players to either keep playing the game out or continue the year and in the long run face longer lay offs.

Yeah i agree what happened was an accident like the Emac and Brown situation but over the years there have been so many bad calls for players to either keep playing the game out or continue the year and in the long run face longer lay offs.

Oh yeah - the Selwood and Darling one's seem poor decisions.
Although part of the blame could be put on the players for putting their hands up when they weren't right - or not doing the necessary recovery.

I agree something needs to be done, our medico's probably need to be more decisive in their decisions on who can/cannot play.

Perhaps all injured players are given an extra week than they normally would?
Maybe we need a different 'fitness test' to really understand if a player is good to go.

Maybe our players just need to drink more milk?

Oh yeah - the Selwood and Darling one's seem poor decisions.
Although part of the blame could be put on the players for putting their hands up when they weren't right - or not doing the necessary recovery.

I agree something needs to be done, our medico's probably need to be more decisive in their decisions on who can/cannot play.

Perhaps all injured players are given an extra week than they normally would?
Maybe we need a different 'fitness test' to really understand if a player is good to go.

Maybe our players just need to drink more milk?

Don't forget Naitanui.