Josh Kennedy (Wce)

Remove this Banner Ad

Doggies supporter here….. have watched him through fingers covering my eyes on more than one occasion in the last few years! So happy we held him to two in last years Elimination Final in Perth…. but he has destroyed us more than once during his time at the WCE so it would be foolish for us to dismiss him as a flat--track bully as some others have done. Would love him at the Dogs.

Eagles won the trade I reckon. Judd was a gun and undoubtedly helped develop some of the younger Carlton mid-fielders during his time there, but JK will be around for a number of years to come, causing major head-aches for 17 coaches from opposite camps.

Today, right now.

Kennedy

Fair enough. Kennedy at 29 hasn't come close to the finals performances Franklin has pulled off, but then again he hasn't been given the same opportunities I guess. I believe finals football is a completely different beast to home and away, hence my preference being clearly Franklin. Franklin has the runs in the board, multiple times.

Half way through the last quarter against the roos and Kennedy has 7 goals 0 points.

How is he not the undisputed best key forward in the league? I am interested in other peoples opinions.. he seems to not get the credit he deserves over east/in the media. Back to back colemans and he isnt slowing down. Imagine if Roughy or Franklin kicked 7 the media would be creaming over it.

I will admit of course there is some bias to my opinion but would love to try and understand how people can rate Lynch or Franklin ect higher.
Kennedy is a ******* gun. Superstar. But if you cant understand how someone can rate Buddy as better, you're delusional or ridiculously one Eyed.

Franklin, sure.

But I don't really understand the consensus that Lynch is a star already.

I appreciate that Mike Sheahan's top 50 is by no means definitive and is in part speculative. But he put Lynch at No 8. Isn't that premature?

Kennedy has taken out the last two Colemans but a lot of people seem convinced that Lynch is the more valuable player.

Admittedly I don't watch a lot of Suns games but on the raw numbers, Kennedy seems to have him covered. And it's not like Kennedy is just some downhill skiier who gets easy goals. His work rate and defensive hustle is excellent for a key forward.
I think he has Franklin and Kennedy covered for taking pack marks. Most people work under the assumption that he would have better numbers if the Suns weren't terrible at the moment.

I think he has Franklin and Kennedy covered for taking pack marks. Most people work under the assumption that he would have better numbers if the Suns weren't terrible at the moment.
So are we rounding it up for players in shitty teams?

Surely players are still judged on actual performance, not hypotheticals.

Which Carlton players do you rate higher purely because Carlton are struggling?

Do you think Marc Murphy is a better player because he'd be better in a better team?

Last edited:
Excellent player but a fair way off buddy, when you consider that buddy has kicked the best part of 400 more goals than him, its laughable to ever say that he is as good as buddy

when their careers are over, buddy will be remembered as an all time great and afl legend....kennedy will not
No? if he takes out his 3rd coleman in a row, which he is in with a bloody good shot if he stays injury free. He will most certainly go down as an AFL great and legend, only Gary Ablett sr would have received 3 colemans in a row (AFL era). Not bad company.

Also, my OP was based on current form.. right now.. who is better. Absolutely over their careers Buddy has him covered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

when their careers are over, buddy will be remembered as an all time great and afl legend....kennedy will not
As someone else said, he's already won 2 Colemans and has a great chance to win three in a row which would put him in esteemed company.

Has already kick 450 goals in his career and should go on to kick 700+ which would put him near the top 20 goal kickers of all time.

That's pretty impressive.

He is the best pure, goal kicking forward in the competition.
Carlton would have benefited more from having him at the club, than they every did Chris Judd.

One of the best in the game right now. Back to back Colemans do not dispute how good he is.

I personally rate him as the best key forward in the game right now and the best performed over the last 4 years. He edges out Franklin for mine. Lynch is coming fast. Then there are a number of younger ones that will challenge in a few years.

Franklin will go down as the best forward of his generation no doubt. That doesn't mean he's the best right now.

I personally rate him as the best key forward in the game right now and the best performed over the last 4 years. He edges out Franklin for mine. Lynch is coming fast. Then there are a number of younger ones that will challenge in a few years.

Franklin will go down as the best forward of his generation no doubt. That doesn't mean he's the best right now.
Well said. I agree.

Great forward, but still needs service. If you're genuinely confused about why people might rate Buddy as a better player then just watch how many of his goals he creates by himself. He also doesn't compare well with Buddy because no one compares well to Buddy.

Fair enough. Kennedy at 29 hasn't come close to the finals performances Franklin has pulled off, but then again he hasn't been given the same opportunities I guess. I believe finals football is a completely different beast to home and away, hence my preference being clearly Franklin. Franklin has the runs in the board, multiple times.
To be fair, kennedy got us going in PF his going back with the flight and goal got us going. He had 20 touches, 9 marks, 3 contested and 4 marks inside 50 to go with 2 goals and 3 behinds. Inaccuracy cost him from having a great game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back