Drafted in the 2014 National Draft with pick 81

McGUINNESS-Josh.jpg

Player bio
Former club:
Lauderdale
Height: 189cm
Weight: 72kg
Position: Defender

Medium defender who reads the game exceptionally well, has sure hands and uses the ball well by hand or foot on the rebound. Had impressive NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, winning All Australian honours after averaging 26 touches, five marks and three clearances at 85 per cent efficiency. Recorded 8.33 sec in agility run at NAB AFL Draft Combine.

Link to AFL Draft prospect video

Tassie’s Josh McGuinness in U18 All Australian Team

DEFENDERS: Harrison Wigg (South Australia), Ed Vickers-Willis (Vic Metro), Josh McGuinness (Tasmania), Darcy Tucker (Vic Country), Caleb Marchbank (Vic Country), Angus Brayshaw (Vic Metro)

MIDFIELDERS: Paul Ahern (Vic Metro), Christian Petracca (Vic Metro), Billy Stretch (South Australia), Peter Wright (Vic Metro), Isaac Heeney (NSW/ACT), Jake Johansen (South Australia)

FORWARDS: Callum Mills (NSW/ACT), Darcy Moore (Vic Metro), Rhys Mathieson (Vic Country), Jayden Laverde (Vic Metro), Patrick McCartin (Vic Country), Caleb Daniel (South Australia)

INTERCHANGE: Jack Steele (NSW/ACT), Darcy Parish (Vic Country), Ben Keays (Queensland), Connor Blakely (Western Australia)

Medium defender who reads the game exceptionally well, has sure hands and uses the ball neatly by hand and foot on the rebound, linking up consistently through the middle of the ground. Had impressive championships, averaging 26 disposals at 84.6% efficiency, 5 marks and 5.7 rebound 50s.

McGuinness heads off pre-draft nerves with tooth extraction

“I’m normally pretty good at blocking it out. I’ve been doing it for the past month since the AFL draft combine.”

McGuinness said the draft was hardly mentioned at home with mum Adele, dad Andrew and brothers Ben, 16, and Matt, 14.

“They will be pretty nervous on the night — as well as me,” he said.

McGuiness was a standout this season for Tasmania and Lauderdale, earning under-18s All-Australian selection and an invitation to the AFL draft combine in Melbourne in October to be poked and prodded by all 18 clubs.

What's his speed like? Maybe that yeo type replacement but a bit less athletic

His speed is good. His run and carry as well as his kicking should see him become a damaging playmaker of the HBF. I was rapt to pick him up that late. I personally think he'll be better than the McGrath, Dawson and co. If he can bulk up a bit over summer, we should see him playing some senior footy next year imo.

just needs to improve his endurance which will come with tme, wont be as dynamic as yeo who was a potential game changer but judging by the highlights he can perhaps takeover from jed (obviously not become our skipper but play a similar role)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's pretty awesome to see how he's rated. You've got yo ask why 80 players were preferred over him though. Was it mainly just endurance and experience? Surely not if the ceiling is high enough.

Not sure, but his disposal numbers and efficiency % are top bracket...time will tell I guess :footy:

I'd have thought that the issue is that Champion Data only measures performance and not potential, personality etc. Recruiters look at the whole picture.

Indeed, you make a good point. It would be very interesting to see what people didn't like about him. Maybe he wasn't perceived as mentally strong and can't handle pressure very well etc. Who knows but the club itself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back