Phantom Draft Josh Poulter's 2018 Big Board and Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

2018 Top 50 - Big Board - Updated 11/7/18

wKLKuLN.png

2019 Top 50 - Big Board - Updated 11/7/18
4E6ZhAg.png
No Lions academy boys in your 2019 top 50. No place for William Martyn, Tom Wischant or Tom Jeffrey

I'd be pretty happy with Collier-Dawkins and Foley at our picks
i personally would love Ned McHenry, his ball use does need work yes but he's a great runner with a real inside and tough edge and would fit in well at Richmond i think.

No NT players Top 50?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
No i dont think any deserve to be in there, Matthew Green hasn't performed at either championships and it's a shame as he looked a real talent last year.

Top 5 for mine without hesitation.
I love Cameron Taheny he might be close to, if not my favourite prospect for 2019 but i just want to see him carry on form for Norwood, he was very good in the recent U16 v U17 SA trial games. Off current production i dont think I could rank him above the others ahead of him, but a few more big games and he will certainly continue to push up.

Do you think anyone could be taken in this draft who wears 3 jumpers during a game?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find it so typical that there are so few nsw/act, qld and tas u17s on your board.
The difference that these kids bring is that most of them play against men and have done so for a season or two.
They then throw them together as an allies team and pray they gel.
If you watched the U17 Rams vs Vic Metro, there was a toughness about the Rams, but they just lacked the gel!
More then 1 Swan's academy kid should be on that board!
Short odds that before the end of 2019, at least 3 will be there... and the kids that simply play school boy footy and TAC will feel the brunt of a "hit to hurt" playing style!

Last edited:
The difference that these kids bring is that most of them play against men and have done so for a season or two

The difference is these kids are playing in pretty poor standard competitions against men. If that weren’t the case, there would be more of them getting drafted wouldnt there?

I find it so typical that there are so few nsw/act, qld and tas u17s on your board.
The difference that these kids bring is that most of them play against men and have done so for a season or two.
They then throw them together as an allies team and pray they gel.
If you watched the U17 Rams vs Vic Metro, there was a toughness about the Rams, but they just lacked the gel!
More then 1 Swan's academy kid should be on that board!
Short odds that before the end of 2019, at least 3 will be there... and the kids that simply play school boy footy and TAC will feel the brunt of a "hit to hurt" playing style!
Do you have something you want to get off your chest by any chance?

Do you have something you want to get off your chest by any chance?
Nothing to get off my chest.
Just find it funny that the qld, nsw/act and tas kids are off the radar because of the assumption.
2019.. 2020 .. draft will show a movement that differs.
Maybe the pundits should look a little further then their own back yards.
Again.. Im happy to watch the tide turn. Nothing that I have on my chest, just think that a lot of kids slide through the net because of ignorance.

The difference is these kids are playing in pretty poor standard competitions against men. If that weren’t the case, there would be more of them getting drafted wouldnt there?
I realise that, but these kids now also have 7 years of academy skills and fitness, but also understand how to tackle big bodies and contest against men.
If the best 44 u17 kids played on GF day I will walk to Bourke.
But the bias was ridiculously slanted to Vic kids.
Again, I'm happy to watch and see.

Nothing to get off my chest.
Just find it funny that the qld, nsw/act and tas kids are off the radar because of the assumption.
2019.. 2020 .. draft will show a movement that differs.
Maybe the pundits should look a little further then their own back yards.
Again.. Im happy to watch the tide turn. Nothing that I have on my chest, just think that a lot of kids slide through the net because of ignorance.
No one on bigfooty is an AFL scout though mate, they view what they can and for a lot of people that's whatever games are close to them in their home state and footage from other states. A lot of posters rely heavily on the National championships and there's generally only 5-6 17 year old on each teams list. If you're looking to change the tide start up your own draft board where you can focus on NSW, QLD and TAS talent

No one on bigfooty is an AFL scout though mate, they view what they can and for a lot of people that's whatever games are close to them in their home state and footage from other states. A lot of posters rely heavily on the National championships and there's generally only 5-6 17 year old on each teams list. If you're looking to change the tide start up your own draft board where you can focus on NSW, QLD and TAS talent
I like the way you think!
I realise what you're saying about not being scouts and hence who you see is determined by geographical location.
I sometimes think that the Allies are a poor concept, as it throws together kids desperate to be recognised on the big stage, and can be detrimental to all who are playing.
Maybe we simply have one large national carnival?? Nsw/act, Qld and Tas/NT teams.
At least there would be gel, and then all would get a look at what's being done in the Northern academies, Tassie and the NT.
Side note.... good to have a thread that is not just boof heads carrying on.

Thanks for your reply

I like the way you think!
I realise what you're saying about not being scouts and hence who you see is determined by geographical location.
I sometimes think that the Allies are a poor concept, as it throws together kids desperate to be recognised on the big stage, and can be detrimental to all who are playing.
Maybe we simply have one large national carnival?? Nsw/act, Qld and Tas/NT teams.
At least there would be gel, and then all would get a look at what's being done in the Northern academies, Tassie and the NT.
Side note.... good to have a thread that is not just boof heads carrying on.

Thanks for your reply
There's the academy series that is played prior to the national championships which features GWS/Sydney/Brisbane/Gold Coast academy teams as well as Tasmania and Northern Territory, this almost is a try outs for the Allies team, you can seed all team lists here http://www.afl.com.au/news/game-development/nab-afl-rising-star-program/u18s/teams

Wortrh noting not all players listed are in an academy, like Jacob Kotchzitke

Next season the boys from NT, QLD, Tas & NSW will get more exposure due to the revamped TAC Cup. I’m not sure what it will be called. The Northern AFL clubs’ academies will be in it. They won’t be playing against men, but will be playing against the best kids in the land apart from SA and WA.

There's the academy series that is played prior to the national championships which features GWS/Sydney/Brisbane/Gold Coast academy teams as well as Tasmania and Northern Territory, this almost is a try outs for the Allies team, you can seed all team lists here http://www.afl.com.au/news/game-development/nab-afl-rising-star-program/u18s/teams

Wortrh noting not all players listed are in an academy, like Jacob Kotchzitke

Hmm. I realise that.
2017... Swans undefeated
2018... Swans lost 1, Tassie Undefeated!
Still a massive disproportionate number of GWS kids in squad... although they were smashed.
U17's Swans have absolutely hammered GWS but still 3 GWS and only 1 Swan on the boards.
Watch the games next year, see the Swans take the GWS mid field apart, the defence out tackle and outplay GWS forwards and the Swans forwards out mark the GWS defenders.
Short odds that there will still be more GWS kids then should be, and the hype will be around the Riverina kids!
Political? Hmmm ... you tell me.

Next season the boys from NT, QLD, Tas & NSW will get more exposure due to the revamped TAC Cup. I’m not sure what it will be called. The Northern AFL clubs’ academies will be in it. They won’t be playing against men, but will be playing against the best kids in the land apart from SA and WA.

Fantastic!
When did that get announced?

Fantastic!
When did that get announced?

got announced a few months ago

as for GWS Academy, they may not have the depth of the Swans academy and so therefore lose against them, but GWS having a zone that includes players from the Murray Bushrangers a TAC Cup side, means their advantage is having one of the better recruiting zones in Australia, let alone NSW, you might get more ok to average players from Sydney and Northern NSW, but you'll get more Champions from the canberra/Southern NSW area. (names like Shane Crawford, Wayne Carey, Daniher Brothers, Brett Kirk, Dean Solomon ect all come from Southern NSW)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back