Phantom Draft Josh Poulter's 2018 Big Board and Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

i personally would love Ned McHenry, his ball use does need work yes but he's a great runner with a real inside and tough edge and would fit in well at Richmond i think.

Wondering if Ned is still your favourite for our pick? Or have things changed for you since July?

Stocker, Caldwell and Duursma I think would be great options for us. Hopefully one will be available!

I find it so typical that there are so few nsw/act, qld and tas u17s on your board.
The difference that these kids bring is that most of them play against men and have done so for a season or two.
They then throw them together as an allies team and pray they gel.
If you watched the U17 Rams vs Vic Metro, there was a toughness about the Rams, but they just lacked the gel!
More then 1 Swan's academy kid should be on that board!
Short odds that before the end of 2019, at least 3 will be there... and the kids that simply play school boy footy and TAC will feel the brunt of a "hit to hurt" playing style!
Hurt factor vs skill and ability just don't stack up

I like the way you think!
I realise what you're saying about not being scouts and hence who you see is determined by geographical location.
I sometimes think that the Allies are a poor concept, as it throws together kids desperate to be recognised on the big stage, and can be detrimental to all who are playing.
Maybe we simply have one large national carnival?? Nsw/act, Qld and Tas/NT teams.
At least there would be gel, and then all would get a look at what's being done in the Northern academies, Tassie and the NT.
Side note.... good to have a thread that is not just boof heads carrying on.

Thanks for your reply
I know a number of states rejected the TAC concept of the best u17/18's playing each other so now might be the time to revisit it. Each state have say 8 teams some of the bigger sates have more teams.
Those that can get to play senior WAFL, SANFL etc can but only three to four games.
Those with better minds than mine can figure a concept out better than me.
Others will of course say it won't work and of course it may not, because what do I know.

what do you think freo could do in the draft, what do you think about freo taking the WA players with their picks

Hurt factor vs skill and ability just don't stack up

Not what I was saying.
The skill of these northern kids are often overlooked by the powers at be due to their geographical location.
But with so many of them now playing NEAFL games and other local senior footy (granted, this is not as skilled), they not only have developed fantastic skills in academies over 5 plus years, but they also have learned to hit and be hit.
Im not suggesting that they are any less skilled then the traditional AFL states, and I think the academies being added to the TAC games next year will show that.
I am, however, suggesting those who have tested their bodies, and built them in prep for mens games, will absolutely hit and hurt, and then the selectors will take note.
The allies are full of kids trying to be noticed, from 4 states. No gel, and often no real team orientation.
But take a look at the tackles in the Rams and Qld game... both mid fields came off bruised and battered. Big emphasis!
Watch Rams vs Vic Metro (again, granted that they were down a few very quality players, but so were Rams) the thing that disrupted the VM team was big hits, and some even went missing once tackled hard.
Talent is talent. And i agree that skill and capability is key. But if you had a choice, wouldn't the kids who have skill and talent AND intimidate with a "hit to hurt" attitude, as well as taking hits and just keep rolling be a better prospect?
I know who I would choose, and my choice wouldn't be based on my geography.
There are players from every state like this!

Not what I was saying.
The skill of these northern kids are often overlooked by the powers at be due to their geographical location.
But with so many of them now playing NEAFL games and other local senior footy (granted, this is not as skilled), they not only have developed fantastic skills in academies over 5 plus years, but they also have learned to hit and be hit.
Im not suggesting that they are any less skilled then the traditional AFL states, and I think the academies being added to the TAC games next year will show that.
I am, however, suggesting those who have tested their bodies, and built them in prep for mens games, will absolutely hit and hurt, and then the selectors will take note.
The allies are full of kids trying to be noticed, from 4 states. No gel, and often no real team orientation.
But take a look at the tackles in the Rams and Qld game... both mid fields came off bruised and battered. Big emphasis!
Watch Rams vs Vic Metro (again, granted that they were down a few very quality players, but so were Rams) the thing that disrupted the VM team was big hits, and some even went missing once tackled hard.
Talent is talent. And i agree that skill and capability is key. But if you had a choice, wouldn't the kids who have skill and talent AND intimidate with a "hit to hurt" attitude, as well as taking hits and just keep rolling be a better prospect?
I know who I would choose, and my choice wouldn't be based on my geography.
There are players from every state like this!
And that is what I see as the difference against what you are saying. Yes they may be able to hit hard and that is the benefit of the TAC competition, they can concentrate on skills without being hit by a man. Don't get me wrong, some of the bigger boys can put on a big hit. I think most clubs go for the skills over the ability to hit hard. They can teach players to tackle and it allows their bodies to develop in being able to handle the big hits.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back