Josh Poulter's Mock Draft and Big Board 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Only one genuine ruckman in your original top 50 Josh. It is a bit of a worry that there are no big men around. I guess 199cm forwards come ruckmen is the trend ? Any worthwhile ruck prospects outside of that top 50?
In the top 50 yeh but except a few ruckman to be taken late or in the rookie draft. Tony Olango, Lachlan Filipovic, Sean Darcy and Peter Ladhams are all a chance to get picked up. Also look out for Tom Goodwin from Coburg, won their B&F this year after coming 5th last year, former SANFL player aswell and came across from Box Hill. There was news West Coast were keen on him but I dont think they'd be the only club looking at him.

EDIT: And not forgetting players like Max Lynch, Esava Ratugolea, Jeremy Goddard and Chas Roberts.
all of those ruckman bar Goodwin appear in my top 100 from 51 onwards.

In the top 50 yeh but except a few ruckman to be taken late or in the rookie draft. Tony Olango, Lachlan Filipovic, Sean Darcy and Peter Ladhams are all a chance to get picked up. Also look out for Tom Goodwin from Coburg, won their B&F this year after coming 5th last year, former SANFL player aswell and came across from Box Hill. There was news West Coast were keen on him but I dont think they'd be the only club looking at him.

EDIT: And not forgetting players like Max Lynch, Esava Ratugolea, Jeremy Goddard and Chas Roberts.
darcy cameron?

Goodwin unlikely from what I've heard from Coburg. Oscar McInerney more likely from the VFL

Goodwin unlikely from what I've heard from Coburg. Oscar McInerney more likely from the VFL
i always forget about McInerney, but I dont personally rate him but i know he's garnered some AFL interest. A. Todd Medalist and I think he played 5(ish) games in the seniors for Casey as well

i always forget about McInerney, but I dont personally rate him but i know he's garnered some AFL interest. A. Todd Medalist and I think he played 5(ish) games in the seniors for Casey as well
The thing about O-Mac is that he has several attributes that lend me to believe he's going to be an AFL player. His tap work is far from dominant but when he does get the hit it's usually class.

The thing about O-Mac is that he has several attributes that lend me to believe he's going to be an AFL player. His tap work is far from dominant but when he does get the hit it's usually class.
He does have some really good moments but thats just my personal opinion on him that i dont rate him that much. But a 22 year old ruckman who's 203cm and 100kg could entice AFL clubs. I'd prefer Rowan Marshall as my ruckman from the state leagues and really liked Marshall's testing at the state combine on sunday.

Post #2 - Top 50 Big Board (Updated 14/10)
jkLGmTL.png

Player Profiles: Top 30 (Updated 14/10):

1. Andrew McGrath (Previous Rank: 2)
Sandringham Dragons/Brighton Grammar/Vic Metro
Position: Defender/Midfielder
McGrath has shot up the draft boards following his dazzling U18 Championships and his continuing red hot form for the Dragons. Former junior Victorian champion hurdler, possesses elite speed and also a very effective shutdown defender. Has had 2 games of 40+ disposals in the TAC Cup this year and had 16 handball receives in one game, and 22 in another. Has leadership qualities, as shown by being named captain of both Brighton Grammar and Vic Metro this year.

2. Hugh McCluggage (1)
North Ballarat Rebels/Vic Country
Position: Midfielder
Classy balanced midfielder who has staked his claim as the number one pick over the past few months. A big game player, missed out pre-season managing a back injury but has come on leaps and bounds after being a late entrant into the AFL Academy. Averaged 29 disposals a game and kicked 23 goals in 10 home and away matches for the Rebels. Was named Victoria Countyr’s MVP at this year’s National Championships.

3. Will Brodie (3)
Murray Bushrangers/Scotch College/Vic Country
Has been in the top handful all year, Brodie leads from the front. He is an inside bull who shows great workrate around the contest even when not having the best of the days. Clearance work is a big tick as well (5 per game for Country in ’16), and also tackles very well. BOG for the AFL Academy v Werribee VFL and named an All-Australian in this year’s National Championships.

4. Jack Bowes (4)
Surfers Paradise/Gold Coast Academy/Queensland
Bowes is a balanced midfielder who impacts the game on the scoreboard also. Is also good overhead and uses the ball well by both hand and foot. Is a smooth mover when he does have ball in hand and he usually makes the right decision. Height also provides great scope for him, but his pace is a knock but that will improve or will learn to work within his limitations, expect to see him at Metricon a lot next year.

5. Ben Ainsworth (6)
Gippsland Power/Vic Country
Position: Midfielder/Forward
Ainsworth has been leading prospect for 2016 over the past two years. He has genuine x-factor in his game being able to turn them (3rd Quarter v Vic Metro 2016). For his size is an elite overhead mark and a very accurate kick at goal. Added more strings to his bow by pushing into the midfield and playing with a hardened aggression and a very evident hint of swagger.

6. Tim English (5)
South Fremantle/Western Australia
Position: Ruckman
An athletic ruckman who should be on an AFL list already, English is probably the most intriguing prospects in this year’s draft. A bit light on the physical build side, he throws his body around though with 2nd and 3rd efforts after the ruck contest. He is also solid by foot and moves well around the ground and in traffic, midfielder-esque. Tap-work is also good but nothing outstanding and also can be thrown forward. English has also made his League debut for South Freo.

7. Harry Perryman (8)
Collingullie-GP/GWS Academy/NSW-ACT
The term “the footballer’s footballer” which has been thrown around to describe Perryman is perfect due to the undeniably great traits he possesses. Very clean and has maybe the highest football IQ in this year’s draft pool. Has been playing everywhere this year for all teams he has played for but mainly a half-back who has been transformed into a midfielder. Very good on both sides of his body by hand and foot, playing back at Collingullie-GP after his U18 Championships commitments where he has kicked 15 goals in 8 games with 4 times in the coach’s best.

8. Jack Scrimshaw (7)
Sandringham Dragons/Haileybury/Vic Metro
Position: General Defender
Had been injury-prone over the years but has had a good run at it recently and it showing why he’s a top prospect for 2016. Lateral movement is silky smooth and works his way through traffic. Reads the play exceptionally well and sets up the play out of the back-half consistently. Also has the scope to play in the midfield and would be a fascinating player at 193cm. Does get caught sometimes trying to do too much when he does have ball in hand but not very often.

9. Tim Taranto (9)
Sandringham Dragons/St Kevin’s/Vic Metro
Forward-come-midfielder who has come on leaps and bounds in 2016. Was one of Vic Metro’s most consistent performers in the U18 Championships and won himself All-Australian honours on the HFF. Very good overhead mark for his size and reads the ball well, former elite-pathway junior basketballer who hits the scoreboard consistently with 8 goals in 6 TAC Cup home and away matches, with only 1 goaless performance (Round 2 v Cannons).

10. Sam Petrevski-Seton (10)
Claremont/Western Australia
His year has been stuttering due to his ongoing hamstring injuries but has unarguable talent. In the top handful for ball use and uses it well on either side of his body. Silky smooth mover and makes things happen, and makes players miss. Yet to play seniors for Claremont in 2016 but won’t be too big of knock on him. Feel like he has plateaued so far this year but his national combine testing may solidify him.

11. Will Setterfield (11)
Sandringham Dragons/Caulfield Grammar/GWS Academy
Has had an interesting up-and-down year but has solidified himself as a top half first-round pick. Encountered an ankle injured and played with it throughout the Championships this year. Great by hand and also good by foot and makes good decisions. Is the prototypical new AFL midfielder size at 190cm and has a good second half of the year for Sandringham. Also provides good pressure around the ball and works hard when his team doesn’t have it. He will attract a bid possibly in the top 10.

12. Oliver Florent (14)
Sandringham Dragons/Mentone Grammar/Vic Metro
Silky half-forward who plays as the number 6 (high half-forward) and can play as a midfielder. Shows pace and has the ability to side-step past people with ease. Kicking goes hot and cold and also has the potential to be able to turn a game on his own. Moves in and out of games at times but as maturity comes so will that.

13. Griffin Logue (16)
Swan Districts/Western Australia
Position: Key Defender
Logue is a key defender who is showing the potential to play other positions possibly at the top level. He is quick and athletic and uses his size well at 193cm. Has played midfield in the latter part of the season for the Swans at Colts level and has impressed around the contest. Left foot kick who can also pinch hit in the ruck if required, and provide run and carry from the backline and reads the play well.

14. Jarrod Berry (13)
North Ballarat Rebels/Vic Country
Athletic defender who can play on a range of opponents on the back-half. Rebels and Vic Country captain has had an indifferent year to last, battling injury ever since his shoulder injury which caused him to miss last year’s TAC Cup finals series. Strong overhead and intercept who also can provide run and carry for his team out of defensive 50. Teams question where he plays at AFL level, potential midfield option is query. Has struggled with injuries in 2016 but has shown his talent after being named Half-Back in the All-Australian side last year.

15. Todd Marshall (12)
Murray Bushrangers/NSW-ACT
Position: Key Forward
Elite junior cricketer who played in England for two years. He has been on the books of Murray since the age of 13 but was ruled ineligible to be a GWS Academy pick in this year’s draft due to an alleged registration issue. Leads very well at the ball and has arguably the most potential out of anyone this year. Work rate sometimes lacks and looks to just be taking it easy.

16. Josh Battle (15)
Dandenong Stingrays/Haileybury/Vic Country
Battle is a forward who is a strong lead-up forward who is a great set shot for goal. Is able to take a strong mark and his tank allows him to work very well. Is able to also compete when the ball hits the deck and hits the ball at pace. He was the 3km time trial winner of the AFL Academy group in Florida. Was named All-Australia Centre-Half Forward after kicking 10 goals in his 4 games, including bags of 4 against WA and the Allies.

17. Jy Simpkin (18)
Murray Bushrangers/Scotch College/Vic Country
Made his name known after he kicked the game winner for Vic Country against Vic Metro last year. Suffered a fractured fibula in April for Scotch College in the APS and has not played since. Kicked 4.3 in his only TAC Cup game this year against the Pioneers. Is zippy and can create things in the forward line, and would have pushed into the midfield this year, after averaging 4 clearances a game last year for Murray. Has top 5 talent and clubs will be looking at the progression of his rehab.

18. Josh Rotham (19)
West Perth/Western Australia
Position: Key Defender
Another athletic key backman from Western Australia who also has the development to push further up the field. Has speed and shows frequent willingness to run and carry, and has also spent time as an undersized ruckman. Was named Centre-Half Back in the 2015 WAFL Colts Team of the Year and this year has been trialled in the midfield for the Falcons.

19. Daniel Venables (17)
Western Jets/PEGS/Vic Metro
Injury riddled season has curtailed one of the most exciting prospects in this year’s draft. Named half-forward as an All-Australian and in the TAC Cup Team of the Year. Won the game for Jets in Round 1 with 3 goals in the last quarter against Oakleigh and was prominent in Vic Metro’s Round 2 win against Vic Country in the last quarter. Venables is a strong body who stands up in tackles and also has an extra gear to be able to get away.

20. Shai Bolton (20)
South Fremantle/Western Australia
Another player with genuine outside class but another player where consistency is the key. Lateral movement is elite and has a great spring in his step and moves through traffic well. Finds the big sticks and kicked 8 goals in 2 games for the Bulldogs’ Colts side as they lost in straight sets, but also kicked 7 against East Perth in Round 22.

21. Cedric Cox (22)
North Ballart Rebels/Western Australia
Silky one-touch half-back who needs minimum possessions to be able to impact the game. Has speed to burn and his low-centre of gravity causes problems for the opposition trying to tackle him. Skills are great and has also shown he can play as a wingman and as a half-forward. Is originally from Halls Creek in WA and is the brother of ‘The Recruit’ finalist Daniel Cox.

22. Luke Ryan (21)
Coburg (VFL)
Defender who is by streets the best prospect in the state leagues. Rejected by Essendon VFL 2 weeks before the start of the VFL season and snapped up by Coburg, after playing as a 19-year-old for Cannons in the TAC Cup last season. Made his debut in Round 3 against Box Hill and won Best-On-Ground honours. He reads the play exceptionally well and ball use is also decent. Elite intercept possession player and also has shown a vertical leap. Won the Fothergill-Round Medal for the best U23 player in the VFL this year.

23. Alex Villis (26)
Norwood/South Australia
Elite kicking defender who has a rising 2016. Also has very good hands and is athletic too. Made seniors debut for the Redlegs in 2016, playing 4 games after his debut in April. As well was named in the back-pocket of the U18 All-Australian side. Went at 68% Disposal Efficiency in his 4 games for South Australia, while also averaging 15 disposals a game.

24. Jordan Gallucci (23)
Eastern Ranges/Yarra Valley Grammar/Vic Metro
Had a slow-start to 2016 after having a great 2015 where he put himself forward as a potential top-10 pick. An indifferent start pushed him back this year but his form took a turn for the best as he had a great-lead up into the U18 championships where he was named co-captain alongside Andrew McGrath and was named on the bench in the All-Australian side. He is also a creative mid/forward and also has the ability to win a contested ball and kick a goal.

25. Alex Witherden (24)
Geelong Falcons/Geelong College/Vic Country
Medium defender whose year is another to be ended by injury, after a leg break playing for Geelong College back in May. Witherden is an elite kick of the ball and has great penetration on it as well, and was one of the best for the Level 1 Academy on Grand Final day last year against the U18 Allies. Another player whose plan was to push into the midfield this year to push-up his draft stocks. Was given one of the extra spots in the Level 2 AFL Academy for this year after a great second-half of the TAC Cup season last year.

26. Jonty Scharenberg (25)
Glenelg/South Australia
Inside midfielder who is the brother of former Pick 6 and now Pie Matthew. Contested ball winner who has overall ball winning ability and is very effective by hand. Was exposed to senior football early making his debut for Glenelg last year as a U17. Averaged a contested possession percentage of 40% in the National Championships for South Australia. Outside game and ball use needs work as does his burst away from the stoppage.

27. Patrick Kerr (28)
Oakleigh Chargers/St Kevin’s/Vic Metro
A key forward who sits deep but leads at the ball as strong as anyone. Named Full-Forward in the All-Australian side after 9 goals for Metro and also in the TAC Cup Team of the Year after 8 goals in 5 games for Oakleigh but showed great consistency in taking marks (7 per game) and also took the most marks on the lead in the Championships. He is the gradson Carlton great Laurie Kerr and his grandmother is the number 1 female ticket holder at the Blues.

28. Brad Scheer (30)
Palm Beach Currumbin/Gold Coast Academy/Queensland
Inside midfielder who can impact the scoreboard when rested forward. 1 game in the TAC Cup yielded 25 disposals, 6 marks and 4 tackles, and replicated that average for Queensland in the Division Two U18 Championships. Then went on to average 16 a game for the Allies in Division One. One of the most dominant clearance players and contested ball winners in this year’s pool but kicking lacks, as for most inside mids. Had an impressive 7 games for Gold Coast Reserves in the NEAFL.

29. Dylan Clarke (27)
Eastern Ranges/Melbourne Grammar/Vic Metro
Brother of Ryan Clarke of North Melbourne but are two different players. Inside midfielder with clean hands but kicking does lack at times. Surprised on that front with a strong performance in the kicking test at the national combine, tying for 4th with 24 out of 30. Averaged 25 disposals a game and recorded a 0.8 kick to handball ratio, with a contested possession percentage of 50%.

30. Zach Sproule (29)
Murray Bushrangers/GWS Academy/NSW-ACT
Key Forward who has spent close to 50% of his year at the Bushrangers in the TAC Cup as a key defender. Athletic for his size with a great showed off by when he ran a 10:18 3km time trial in February with the AFL Academy. Is a long right foot kick and his versatility will be a tick to AFL clubs. Light frame at 87kg is a concern and also needs to use his body more in one on one contests.

Top 50 Big Board is now updated and the top 25 of that is out with profiles, and now extended to a top 30!

Nice update mate still have ainsworth as ports pick at 9 or change? Cheers
Been talk that Ainsworth might go the Lions, ever since the National Combine i've had Logue to Port at #9, i'll be uploading my full mock draft once trade period finishes!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And I guess Brodie at 4.

GC come out with Brodie, Bowes and Scheer. That locks up their midfield.
depends if Bowes gets bid on which might happen in the first 3 picks, Brisbane the more likely now because they're down one spot. Then i see Carlton taking Brodie (and if Richmond can keep it) Taranto at #6.

depends if Bowes gets bid on which might happen in the first 3 picks, Brisbane the more likely now because they're down one spot. Then i see Carlton taking Brodie (and if Richmond can keep it) Taranto at #6.
Only way I see Brisbane bidding on Bowes is if Brisbane get another top 8 pick (that doesn't come via a trade with GC). I'm all for one academy club bidding on another academy clubs kids, but only if it makes strategic sense to do so. If Brisbane holds pick 8 and bidding on Bowes means SPS falls to pick 8, then I would do it.

Gday again, who do you have for ports picks now that trade periods over? Weve got 14,17 30,31 or thereabouts

Whispers were keen on venables and marshall who i dont think will be there. Our listman said whoever we were going to pick at 9 would be there at 14 and apparently hinted at picking up some sa boys presumebly at 30/31. I personally like witherden for an early.

And i as i post you post at actually the same time :p. Rotham and hayward interesting;rationale? how about 30/31?
hahahah great timing! Well you're lucky i am completing my second round as we speak and have just completed Port Adelaide's picks. But firstly, at 16 I have Rotham because Griffin Logue is off the board, I had him 100% going to Port at #9 after the combine. Also local boy Will Hayward the bolter at 19, his combine put him into the first round and feels to me he'd fit a need at Port Adelaide.
Firstly, Pick 34 is a bid on Callum Brown which the Pies match, so then at 35 Port go Sam Powell-Pepper, added midfield support and some more grunt around the stoppages. Then at 36 Port go Mitch Hinge, have a partner for Pittard and use some better ball-use out of defensive 50.

hahahah great timing! Well you're lucky i am completing my second round as we speak and have just completed Port Adelaide's picks. But firstly, at 16 I have Rotham because Griffin Logue is off the board, I had him 100% going to Port at #9 after the combine. Also local boy Will Hayward the bolter at 19, his combine put him into the first round and feels to me he'd fit a need at Port Adelaide.
Firstly, Pick 34 is a bid on Callum Brown which the Pies match, so then at 35 Port go Sam Powell-Pepper, added midfield support and some more grunt around the stoppages. Then at 36 Port go Mitch Hinge, have a partner for Pittard and use some better ball-use out of defensive 50.

I really like hayward at 19, rotham not too sure maybe a mid there but with your phantom the favourites would be gone by then so fair enough. If powell pepper is there at 30 id be ecstatic, hinge is also interesting havent seen him mentioned on many boards. A developing tall would compliment our list but i have a heavy feeling we'll go the mature aged route with that; a state leaguer like eddy later on or even dawes as a dfa

Well done btw on your info your personally one of my favourites; a month out from last years draft you successfully picked the first 14 in order with small shuffles here and there. Keep up the great work :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back