Player Watch Josh Rachele - Re-Signed to End of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

Damo's take...seems the media are taking note of just how talented this kid is

IF ...​

Ben Hart was 17 at the start of his debut season in 1992 and made that season's All-Australian team (and then equally extraordinarily retained his position the following season) ...

THEN ...​

why can't another Crow crack it in a debut AFL season? Josh Rachele making all the right moves right now.

Damo's take...seems the media are taking note of just how talented this kid is

IF ...​

Ben Hart was 17 at the start of his debut season in 1992 and made that season's All-Australian team (and then equally extraordinarily retained his position the following season) ...

THEN ...​

why can't another Crow crack it in a debut AFL season? Josh Rachele making all the right moves right now.
Imagine if he played for a Vic club, he would have a statue at the MCG already

It's almost underrated how good he's been. Check him out compared to the debut season from Rozee that had us all shitting ourselves that they'd found a gem.

I think when it comes down to it, why I love Rachele isn’t just the goal kicking talents. It’s more the fact I get excited whenever he gets near the ball. He’s one of those special players where he often makes thing happen to the team’s advantage - footy smarts - a la D. Jarman and Betts. The kind of presence that brings crowds to footy games.

He looks like one of those rare players who just has time to chose best option, like the game is in slow motion around him. Super exciting talent
Time to choose and skills to execute. Those passes to Gollant and Tex in the last couple of weeks have me more excited than his forward 50 work.

Today proves he’s only human 😞
Missed a set shot directly in front when the breeze got hold of it, didn't take the shot on the run when inside 50, dropped a chest mark very close to goal, hit the post with a 45m set shot on the boundary with a tricky breeze and took mark 35m in front of goal when the umpire called a push out by another player which wasn't even there. Not a quiet game as most thought.

Missed a set shot directly in front when the breeze got hold of it, didn't take the shot on the run when inside 50, dropped a chest mark very close to goal, hit the post with a 45m set shot on the boundary with a tricky breeze and took mark 35m in front of goal when the umpire called a push out by another player which wasn't even there. Not a quiet game as most thought.
Could've had 3 or 4 easily. Dropped a soda from a pass from Cook.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems to be dropping his head in game the last couple of weeks. Not a dig at him, I'm sure it's just that he wants to snag another big haul of goals (or even just a couple) but I really hope he is ok above the shoulders. Someone get the word to the Texan to feed him a few.

Seems to be dropping his head in game the last couple of weeks. Not a dig at him, I'm sure it's just that he wants to snag another big haul of goals (or even just a couple) but I really hope he is ok above the shoulders. Someone get the word to the Texan to feed him a few.
People need to remember that he's still a kid and moving to a new state at his age is a huge change. Some players take a couple of years to settle in. My advice to him is to work hard and don't read your own press. I think this year is a big wake up call that AFL is not easy and success is not guaranteed.

Either he’s struggling physically or he’s up to level 3 of our patented talented kid over-coaching course.

“Ok Josh, decent debut, you’ve kicked 5, but that’s not what being a small forward is these days. I’ve got your tape here, so let’s spend a few hours working out how you managed to find yourself in the wrong spots and ended up with the ball or kicking a goal. See here where you led straight at the ball carrier who then hit you up, that’s confusing for him and us. See where Tex and TT are, in this instance we’d like to see you run at 90 degrees away from the kicker for about 30 or 40 metres and start guarding space over on that flank.”

Either he’s struggling physically or he’s up to level 3 of our patented talented kid over-coaching course.

“Ok Josh, decent debut, you’ve kicked 5, but that’s not what being a small forward is these days. I’ve got your tape here, so let’s spend a few hours working out how you managed to find yourself in the wrong spots and ended up with the ball or kicking a goal. See here where you led straight at the ball carrier who then hit you up, that’s confusing for him and us. See where Tex and TT are, in this instance we’d like to see you run at 90 degrees away from the kicker for about 30 or 40 metres and start guarding space over on that flank.”
Sadly I reckon that wouldn't be too far from the truth.

Didn't someone post the other day we concentrate on their weaknesses and lose focus on their strengths? I think thats also close to the truth.

Meddling is the greatest flaw in young or inexperienced coaches.
It's a superior coach who recognises the players who require teaching from those who need coaching.

Can you imagine a young coach telling Eddie "just spill it over the line and we'll reset with a stoppage". Eddie smiles and says to himself "fu** that! I'm having a shot MF!"

Freak players when given the licence to try stuff end up doing....well you know the rest.

Takes experience, self confidence and maturity from a coach though.

He’s definitely got the natural talent and sense of what to do. I’m not seeing that athleticism they mentioned (Toby Greene style) that sees him as a danger in the air. If he works hard on his fitness I think he’ll become better suited to the midfield.

He’s definitely got the natural talent and sense of what to do. I’m not seeing that athleticism they mentioned (Toby Greene style) that sees him as a danger in the air. If he works hard on his fitness I think he’ll become better suited to the midfield.
I also see his future as a classy goal kicking mid that can rest fwd. Think the media have called it the "striker" role.

I reckon with more midfield time towards the end of the year would get him out of this slump. Teams have caught on he's the only other small kicking goals next to mcadam.

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back