Recommitted Josh Schache [contracted and staying at Western Bulldogs]

Remove this Banner Ad

If SPS doesn't work out this year, I'd happy to involve him in a trade, with something small going Carlton's way. Gives two players who have grossly under-delivered on their talent a chance to work it out with a new club.
Don't disagree SPS hasn't delivered on potential but his value would be significantly higher than JS

Don't disagree SPS hasn't delivered on potential but his value would be significantly higher than JS
He wouldn't have a lot of value left honestly. I did say something small Carlton's way as SPS would be worth more than Schache, but not much more. We're comparing a 4th rounder to a 3rd rounder to be generous to both

Can Schache play/become a defender? I think of jack lukosius whom was a forward when drafted but has now become a handy defender.
'Handy'? He's going to be elite and is on his way there. He also doesn't play on a man.

Unfortunately for Schache he just needs it lace out to be effective at AFL level. Has great skills just too easily beaten by defenders.
Maybe we can do with him what no one else can and have him play with he’s mate Weitering on the CHB goodside but not mongrel enough to be forward

Looked transformed at CHB.

Amazingly there might be a few clubs in for him with the Dogs likely to take Darcy if he puts a decent block of form together at CHB.

Amazingly there might be a few clubs in for him with the Dogs likely to take Darcy if he puts a decent block of form together at CHB.
Obviously only one game but enough to persist with it. Bigger more physical challenges ahead. Be unfair to judge him as a defender until he’s had a full preseason training as one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s definitely going to be Darcy. The club see him as a long term key defender.
I agree he's most likely, but much like Naughton, if he shows enough potential up forward our hands may be tied. KPFs are a far more valuable commodity than KPDs. Not to mention we have Croft's kid coming through in the 2022 draft, so the well hasn't dried up yet

I agree he's most likely, but much like Naughton, if he shows enough potential up forward our hands may be tied. KPFs are a far more valuable commodity than KPDs. Not to mention we have Croft's kid coming through in the 2022 draft, so the well hasn't dried up yet
You’re right. But one of them is going to have to play there. And Naughton is too damaging up forward for it to be him. I like the idea of developing Darcy from day 1 in defense amd keeping him there.

Has another year on his contract, so will be on our list next year as depth at worst if his backline form continues.

Popular guy among the playing group by all accounts which means he's probably not on the table regardless.
Our KPD stocks are terrible and although Schache has poor acceleration, his field kicking is a thing of beauty. Jordan Roughead doesn't accelerate that well either and is a solid, dependable full back so that should be the prototype defender Schache can model himself on (although personally, I think Roughy is a very underrated contested mark).

Have to wonder if the Dogs won't keep him for at least one more year now that sadly Josh Bruce will probably miss all of 2022

Have to wonder if the Dogs won't keep him for at least one more year now that sadly Josh Bruce will probably miss all of 2022
Ideally we'll recruit a number 1 ruck, allowing English to play forward/2nd ruck, with Naughton and JUH as the other talls. Means Schache would be utilised down back, where so far he's been playing his best footy since the handful of good games he played in 2019.

He’s contracted for another year with us.

Think he is given a preseason to develop as a defender. Shows some good signs down there.
It would be interesting to see if ww would’ve given him another contract if he were actually OOC given the few games he played in defense.

As you said we should keep him and give him the entire pre-season in defence. Even if it doesn’t work out back, he’s probably handy to have on the list as a depth KPF given Bruce’s injury.

Was going to be the next big forward and now finding it hard to cement himself as a defender...

Dogs will keep him and hope it clicks.

To be fair he was out with an ankle from the bombers game. Was a test for Friday night. Bevo reckons he likes what he's seen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back