Recommitted Josh Schache [contracted and staying at Western Bulldogs]

Remove this Banner Ad

Highly doubt he will get another game with us
He has another year on his contract so you would think he does

Doggies are desperate for a KPD and with Josh now clear not going to make it as a foward they should just play him in defence in the vfl just to see if he has that ability or can develop that in him.

He has another year on his contract so you would think he does

Doggies are desperate for a KPD and with Josh now clear not going to make it as a foward they should just play him in defence in the vfl just to see if he has that ability or can develop that in him.
Schache will be useless as a KPD as he is a forward time to delist him

Schache will be useless as a KPD as he is a forward time to delist him
Reminds me a lot of the comments around Liam Jones before he went back and became a decent KPD.

He might be better when he is led to the ball and being able to use some of his forward nous to intercept. I mean you haven’t got much to lose- it’s only round 7 and if there is one thing the bulldogs need it’s some KPD depth.

I don’t know how but he looks smaller than when he was drafted?

Reminds me a lot of the comments around Liam Jones before he went back and became a decent KPD.

He might be better when he is led to the ball and being able to use some of his forward nous to intercept. I mean you haven’t got much to lose- it’s only round 7 and if there is one thing the bulldogs need it’s some KPD depth.

Thats exactly what i mean

He will be 24 this year and been in the system for 6 years as a KPF and clearly apparent now that he just doesnt have it at that level to be that special KPF
Most good defenders start their football careers as fowards that dont get to the elite level.

He has 18 months of his contract left and after tonight the doggies have been exposed down back and need a KPD more than anything and 4 months to go for finals. Whats to lose ?

Last roll of the dice playing with house money imo

I'm open to Schache doing this in the 2s for the next 6-8 games. But what Jones has that Schache doesn't is closing speed. Jones has great speed for someone his size.

This is my major concern with Schache moving back.

Feel for him a little bit barring a catastrophic run with KPF injuries, I can’t see him playing a game with us again. English will be back next week and the next time something similar happens you’d say that JUH will be in.

I was extremely disappointed with his competitiveness given it had looked to improve.

Just won't make it at AFL level IMO. Another one who is good enough against lesser players in the 2nd's, but doesn't have the competitive edge to succeed at the highest level. Still hasn't really put on any size since he was drafted either - which says a bit about his dedication/mindset too.

If he just doesn't love footy that much I'm happy for him as a person that he's made a bit of money out of it and can go pursue his true passion.

The Dogs would've surely used him in the ruck in the past right? How does he go there?

Given he lacks speed even playing him as a Wattsy-esque 3rd tall probably doesn't go great and I assume he's not even at where Wattsy was at as a pressure forward.

But it would be a pretty big shame for such a clearly talented player to never make it. A lot of good forwards in today's game aren't amazing at holding their ground and crashing packs, if its mentality more than anything...think it'd be telling to see whether or not he toils in the state leagues. I assume he'll get another look by another club though if he leaves the Dogs given he's a former no.2 pick

If he just doesn't love footy that much I'm happy for him as a person that he's made a bit of money out of it and can go pursue his true passion.

But if he does go the State League route I'm pretty interested to see how he goes.

The Dogs would've surely used him in the ruck in the past right? How does he go there?

He rucks poorly. He isn’t strong nor is he quick. Which gives him no method of finding the footy unless it’s lace out or his opponent peels off to cover our more dangerous forwards.

if he had a method of getting his own footy he would be a star because his skills are first class. But he will never make AFL level because he lacks that most important quality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Talented but for one reason or another not an AFL standard footballer. It’s a hard, competitive league and he isn’t at the level. He’s shown glimpses at times but just isn’t physical enough, which for those who want him to succeed is a shame but really it isn’t the be all and end all.

Post AFL career can see him going back to Seymour and playing with mates and dominating

I remember him being better at the Lions.

Hurt the dogs last night when he constantly let Balta just out muscle him for a mark when he had to at least bring it to ground.

Thats been his issue since his 1st year , The Lions supporters were always saying the same thing
Just doesnt have that agro / drive / monrel / campaigner in him to be that hungry beast 200cm FF
Is that just an excuse though?

Harry McKay is one of the nicest players on the field I've ever seen. I've seen him save his opponents from slamming into the fence at least twice, steadys them when a contest is over and helps pick them up off the ground. Just a nice guy.

But he's also a gun who kicks goals, chases and attacks the ball.

Maybe Schache is just a poor AFL player who people believe has talent because he was a low draft pick, not because he any strong AFL attributes.

Harry McKay is one of the nicest players on the field I've ever seen. I've seen him save his opponents from slamming into the fence at least twice, steadys them when a contest is over and helps pick them up off the ground. Just a nice guy.

Maybe Schache is just a poor AFL player who people believe has talent because he was a low draft pick, not because he any strong AFL attributes.

Lack of agro is like 2% of Schache's problem. His real issue is his lack of athleticism. No body strength and no burst speed. Thus he lacks a method to find the footy. Can't get seperation and can't maintain position under the high ball.

Any decent defender just puts body on him and can work him over.

Was more talking about agro towards and mongrol towards the game and ball rather than the man, I dont think he is a poor footballer as you dont get to that level and be drafted at #2 being a poor footballer but more attitude and application imo

Lack of agro is like 2% of Schache's problem. His real issue is his lack of athleticism. No body strength and no burst speed. Thus he lacks a method to find the footy. Can't get seperation and can't maintain position under the high ball.

Any decent defender just puts body on him and can work him over.

Sad for him TBH. How is he on the training track? Does he show AFL traits at training but it does not translate into senior games?

He was an insane talent as a Junior, a lot of knockers forget that. I wonder if a lot of his issues are above the shoulders?

Sad for him TBH. How is he on the training track? Does he show AFL traits at training but it does not translate into senior games?

He was an insane talent as a Junior, a lot of knockers forget that. I wonder if a lot of his issues are above the shoulders?

He's got a great gas tank and his skills are extremely high level for a player his size.

Being able to work over your opponent aerobically is becoming less of a thing these days. Richmond for instance have 4-5 defenders who are all 190cm plus and compete aerially. They can just peel off their opponent to cover. This makes Josh's attributes less valuable in the modern game. Compare him to someone like Naughton who doesn't have the kicking skills but has freak athleticism and marking so he can find his own ball and be extremely dangerous.

I think at junior level he was 5-10cm taller than his opponents and they didn't have the seasons in the gym to work him under the ball. And his aerobic capacity he could use whereas AFL level have a better defensive systems to peel off and intercept.

He's really good at VFL level but I'd argue that Ugle-Hagan and the attention he receives makes life pretty easy for Josh. Not so much at AFL level when he had Balta standing alongside him for large chunks of the game.

It is a bit of an indictment on the recruiting system that he was a consensus top 3 pick.

Was there any real reason the Bulldogs trimmed him down so much? He was a lot bulkier and more comfortable in the contest with an additional 10kgs slapped on.

I know S&C teams want mobile players, but Schache is a conventional mark/goal forward with a beautiful set shot action.

There's no talk about it at the moment but I have a sneaky suspicion the Swans will have a dig at trade time.
Surely the Swans are stacked for key forwards.
Buddy, Reid, Blakey, McDonald and even McCartin. Albeit, one is likely on his last legs, but 4 is probably still enough.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back