Recommitted Josh Schache [contracted and staying at Western Bulldogs]

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely the Swans are stacked for key forwards.
Buddy, Reid, Blakey, McDonald and even McCartney. Albeit, one is likely on his last legs, but 4 is probably still enough.

Reid is going to be 30 next season, Buddy will not play all games, Blakey isn't a forward- more like a tall winger and McDonald is still developing. McCartin is now considered a defender. You're probably right but we'll need someone in the next year or two

Free to a good home.

If the Dogs have their best 25 available he won't get another game and presumably JUH will be picked ahead of him going forward.
Correct. We should play him in defense to see if there's anything to work with at all because he won't play another game for us as a forward. Bevo would prefer to play with one less KPF rather than have him in the team moving forward IMO.

Correct. We should play him in defense to see if there's anything to work with at all because he won't play another game for us as a forward. Bevo would prefer to play with one less KPF rather than have him in the team moving forward IMO.
He's about to be 5th banana if you count Tinglish as a forward. In other words, nowhere near it.

We'd take that and run. Schache was a necessary gamble we had to take at a time where we had genuinely no key forwards (often playing Trengove and/or Roughead as forwards), but now there's little use for him.

Well worth the risk. They don’t all work out. No need for him now with your new found forward stocks.

At 199cm I’d be keen to give him a go at FB. Anything less and the King’s of the world will expose you. Forwards are only getting taller and jumping higher.

Was there any real reason the Bulldogs trimmed him down so much? He was a lot bulkier and more comfortable in the contest with an additional 10kgs slapped on.

I know S&C teams want mobile players, but Schache is a conventional mark/goal forward with a beautiful set shot action.
He is a 200cm forward that is lanky with no brut, hasn’t been managed and if he was at Carlton he would be smashing it with all our talls from the same draft year

Well worth the risk. They don’t all work out. No need for him now with your new found forward stocks.

At 199cm I’d be keen to give him a go at FB. Anything less and the King’s of the world will expose you. Forwards are only getting taller and jumping higher.
I’d like him at Carlton playing alongside he’s brutal best mate Weitering

Absolutely. Especially for a club outside finals still looking to find the right set up, he'd be worth a late pick and small amount of cap space. His lack of aggression and intensity just makes it hard to get him firing as a KPF, but worth a gamble at finding a new role. Has massive endurance, fantastic foot skills and a great set shot.

Unfortunately, his deficiencies mean his time is up with the Dogs, particularly given our preference for the pack crashing types (Naughton, Bruce)

Has played his last game in the seniors at the dogs. It’s sad, but he’s had enough chances to put his body on the line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The lads confidence is shot.
His past few weeks in the VFL were completely different. It’s obviously a lesser level but the noticeable differences were how confident he was, and he actually felt like he was a presence on the ground.

Got the call up to AFL and just couldn’t handle it.

Surely you try him at CHB before you throw him on the scrap heap. 200cm with good skills and footy nous.

The dogs have already lost the likes of Jones and Roughead for peanuts. KPF is the hardest position in the AFL.

Few whispers Carlton are going to try to get him across as either coverage for Curnow (and McGovern who is also ultra injury prone) or transform him into key defender.

Interesting to see how the Bulldogs use him the rest of the season. They don't have any need for him, and his value is going to plummet further despite being contracted.

Surely you try him at CHB before you throw him on the scrap heap. 200cm with good skills and footy nous.

The dogs have already lost the likes of Jones and Roughead for peanuts. KPF is the hardest position in the AFL.

They got Caleb Daniel with the Pick 46 they received from the Blues. It was slight unders, but he looked shot by 2014 and needed a fresh opportunity.

Roughead has never been a star and was pretty old when they traded him - was always going to be a goodwill swap.

They got Caleb Daniel with the Pick 46 they received from the Blues. It was slight unders, but he looked shot by 2014 and needed a fresh opportunity.

Roughead has never been a star and was pretty old when they traded him - was always going to be a goodwill swap.
Schache would probably be the same. Goodwill swap, small points upgrade.

Fairly sure Roughead was a free agent. I would say Roughead and Jones have been very solid as backman since leaving the dogs and would be good fits next to Keath atm.

Don’t really buy the whole need a new club to perform either. Jones stunk it up at Carlton until they moved him back and Roughead had already proven himself a handy backman at the dogs they just chose to play him elsewhere.

I still think the success of limited footballers as KPD means the dogs would be remiss not to at least try. They’re simply isn’t that many 200cm athletes in Australia around and Shache would only have to reach a Keefe type of level to be handy player for the dogs.

Schache would probably be the same. Goodwill swap, small points upgrade.
If SPS doesn't work out this year, I'd happy to involve him in a trade, with something small going Carlton's way. Gives two players who have grossly under-delivered on their talent a chance to work it out with a new club.

Fairly sure Roughead was a free agent. I would say Roughead and Jones have been very solid as backman since leaving the dogs and would be good fits next to Keath atm.

Don’t really buy the whole need a new club to perform either. Jones stunk it up at Carlton until they moved him back and Roughead had already proven himself a handy backman at the dogs they just chose to play him elsewhere.

I still think the success of limited footballers as KPD means the dogs would be remiss not to at least try. They’re simply isn’t that many 200cm athletes in Australia around and Shache would only have to reach a Keefe type of level to be handy player for the dogs.
Roughead missed the deadline for free agents, so we just traded him for a pick in the 70s. He also wouldn't really fit in our system that well given his lack of leg speed. There's a reason that, despite his flaws, we've pumped so many games into Ryan Gardner, and it's because he can be very quick for a player his size (much like Keath). Schache lacks acceleration/burst, meaning he finds it hard to find seperation from his opponent outside of just outrunning them across the field thanks to his huge tank. I'd worry about forwards being able to too easily make successful leads if Schache were playing on them. His contested marking is also quite poor meaning he'd probably struggle as an interceptor.

I'm sure it's a concept worth trying, but I doubt he'd have much success with it honestly. Happy to see us facilitate a trade that moves him to a new club with little to nothing in return if it means freeing up his salary from our books though, and seems like a really likeable dude so I'd love to see him succeed. We are reportedly paying not far off $1 million for Schache and JJ combined so moving either of them on would be a win regardless of what we got back...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back