Traded Josh Schache [Traded to Melbourne for F4]

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
He has just never been able to get going at AFL level.

With JUH and Darcy coming through it doesn't look like there's a spot there for him at the Dogs.

Did kick 14 goals in his last 2 VFL games. Maybe worth a shot for a club looking for a cheap tall forward.

Plenty on our board still think he can be a good player. He’s also shown some ability to play in defence.

Was in the side, got Covid, and never returned even as an emergency.

Bevo seemingly just doesn’t rate him.

Hope he gets a go elsewhere. Extremely skilled but we all know he lacks a bit of physicality. If you look at him as a tall half forward rather than a key position player, I still personally think he can play.

Flanker in a KPP's body. Has outstanding endurance so surely gets a gig somewhere.
Probably goes for a token 5th rounder and a thank you handshake

Amazing to think Schache is 25 and still on a list, seems so long ago now that we drafted him. Going low in the draft really extends your earning capacity and career length. It is a shame that the Lions had not implemented the draft matrix they have had in place since the year after Schache was drafted. We would never have taken him under our current drafting approach. Goes to show how overrated picks can be sometimes.

If he wasn't able to get a game consistently at the Dogs with their KPP stocks then the end is nigh you would have thought. A token pick should get a deal done.

Amazing to think Schache is 25 and still on a list, seems so long ago now that we drafted him. Going low in the draft really extends your earning capacity and career length. It is a shame that the Lions had not implemented the draft matrix they have had in place since the year after Schache was drafted. We would never have taken him under our current drafting approach. Goes to show how overrated picks can be sometimes.

If he wasn't able to get a game consistently at the Dogs with their KPP stocks then the end is nigh you would have thought. A token pick should get a deal done.
He's simply not a KPP player is the issue. He is tall and well built but does not have it between the ears to crash packs and play the role. I have no doubt he will get picked up by a lower team and string a few decent games together but he's just not a player who can consistently stand up in big games

He's simply not a KPP player is the issue. He is tall and well built but does not have it between the ears to crash packs and play the role. I have no doubt he will get picked up by a lower team and string a few decent games together but he's just not a player who can consistently stand up in big games

Agree, I just don't know what else you can play him as.

And St Kilda.
I think he would be a good fit for us given how cheap he would be.

We need someone to take a defender off King while being big enough that teams don't put their 2nd defender on Membrey and could run in the ruck for a few minutes to give Marshall a rest.

Jack Hayes looked good in that role early this year before he did his ACL but it's too risky to not bring in another option next year incase Hayes takes a while to get back to form. At a low price tag, Schache is worth a shot.

Agree, I just don't know what else you can play him as.
Given his size and tank I can see why we tried him r1 as a winger however he hasn't got the speed for it. Given he lacks defensive pressure you can't play him as a 4th "tall" so not really sure but if Tom Campbell is still on a list I have no doubts Josh will be too

We need someone to take a defender off King while being big enough that teams don't put their 2nd defender on Membrey and could run in the ruck for a few minutes to give Marshall a rest.

Jack Hayes looked good in that role early this year before he did his ACL but it's too risky to not bring in another option next year incase Hayes takes a while to get back to form. At a low price tag, Schache is worth a shot.
Schache doesn't do that for you he will get the 3rd defender and will do alright against the bottom 6 teams but will struggle against the better teams

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Issue is Schache is only effective as a leading forward in an uncontested situation. In all other circumstances a smart defender will just sag off him.

sounds interesting, can you say more?

Issue is Schache is only effective as a leading forward in an uncontested situation. In all other circumstances a smart defender will just sag off him.
Late in the season, we had to use an 18 year old mid as a key forward option so any extra options on the list wouldn't hurt. As a free hit, there would be worse options to compete with Hayes and potentially Sharman (played defence late in the year so unsure of his position moving forward) for a spot up forward.

Late in the season, we had to use an 18 year old mid as a key forward option so any extra options on the list wouldn't hurt. As a free hit, there would be worse options to compete with Hayes and potentially Sharman (played defence late in the year so unsure of his position moving forward) for a spot up forward.

Given where St Kilda's list is at, worth a shot. I just wouldn't go in with any expectations.

Gorringe said in the AFL system if you can't be good, just be tall.

If he can run hard and drag a defender away from Max he might be helpful to you. Would cost virtually nothing, has little trade value

I remember he had a very good few months as a defender for the Bulldogs a few years back. As a forward he's a total lost cause

Remove this Banner Ad

Back