Player Watch Josh Thomas (Retired 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Out of all the fallout this season and delistings i think Josh Thomas could haver been given a lifeline to to be at least used as depth.
Experienced player that could've been handy next year.

He retired.

He averaged less than 1 goal and 1 tackle i50 a game. You need to be good at one of these at the very least to be deemed an adequate forward player.

The other one is WHE, but at least he is capable of plucking marks, and averaged 6 with 1 contested per game in 2021. He was able to play the lead up role so has a good attribute which is useful to the team.

I just never saw it with JT.
No you dont. Very similar figures to players like Puopolo and Blair who played small pressure forward in successful teams. I reckon internally these types are much more highly rated than us punter realise. Not stars and replacable but from an important part of a team.

Well done Josh, loved having you at the Pies. Love someone who works hard and gets the most out of their career. Enjoy the next phase. 123, as mentioned most of us dreamed of getting just 1.

No you dont. Very similar figures to players like Puopolo and Blair who played small pressure forward in successful teams. I reckon internally these types are much more highly rated than us punter realise. Not stars and replacable but from an important part of a team.

Well done Josh, loved having you at the Pies. Love someone who works hard and gets the most out of their career. Enjoy the next phase. 123, as mentioned most of us dreamed of getting just 1.
I liked Josh he made a mistake when he was young paid the price and worked his ass off to get back and win the respect of everyone at the club, his 2018 and to a lesser extent 2019 seasons were very good, he was a great team man and selfless player who got the best out of himself, however I do think the game was starting to go past him a little and he chose the right time to retire.

He had a great 2018.

Pity he couldn't follow it up in 2019. He was fringe best 22 all year, and probably could've been dropped at several points later in the season. We were still a chance in 2019 though. He had the experience and there was still a reasonable hope that he'd extract the digit.

From about the middle of the season in 2020 I seriously thought we should've set in motion our rebuild. We may have made the prelim the year before, but I didn't think we were gonna be a chance at all come finals, if we were even to make it. The gameplan had changed to the purely defensive, slow, possession football we've suffered through watching since some time in 2019, and several players had seriously regressed. We ran poor Grundy into the ground by having him ruck solo in like 6 or 7 straight games over something like 3-4 weeks because of the messed up Covid schedule.

So many naive supporters dismissed some terrible performances mid year against s**t sides with "a win's a win". We were getting smashed all game by sides like Sydney, Essendon and Carlton, only to have Pendles and a few of the usual suspects pull off a miracle in the final quarter to drag us over the line. Our luck was gonna run out eventually.... anyway... this was the season I thought JT was gifted game after game. I just couldn't believe he kept his spot in the side week after week. Even when he was finally dropped, he was brought back in almost instantly.

His 2021 was even worse. It was abundantly clear by this stage we needed to embrace the rebuild and play the kids. He'd shown so little in 2019 and 2020, yet rose-tinted glasses had a bunch of folks here still hoping he'd somehow recapture that 2018 form. Numerous times throughout the year some posters were trying to say he'd recaptured his form. God knows what games they were watching....

Look, I'm sure he's a lovely bloke. I too wish him the best in his future endeavors, but come on... I don't know how anyone can honestly say he wasn't gifted countless games in his last 2 seasons.

There are some pretty dismissive comments here on a player who managed a career playing as a forward when his skillset was that of a midfielder. He deserves credit for a whole lot more than this, but he never deserved the time at the pillory that he got from this board.

Blair and Thomas played 30+ games too many. That’s the point where fans begin to turn on them... but really it was the selection committee and Bucks defence first mindset that hamstrung small forwards at Collingwood... these were to blame.

The canning of Krakouer and Fasolo showed that Bucks preferred pressure acts over goals... so then we end up with Blair, Thomas (2018 the exception... but 2018 was an anamoly for several players) and C Brown playing low impact small forward roles that they were never going to look great in.

Thankfully now we have a new breed of small forward in McReery and Ginnivan... who look like they are allowed to play with a bit more freedom and flair

Beyond that, Thomas is a great story of determination and redemption... and I’m sure pies fans with him all the best in retirement... but it’s a step in the right direction that he will no longer be in the 22 in 2022.

Blair and Thomas played 30+ games too many. That’s the point where fans begin to turn on them... but really it was the selection committee and Bucks defence first mindset that hamstrung small forwards at Collingwood... these were to blame.

The canning of Krakouer and Fasolo showed that Bucks preferred pressure acts over goals... so then we end up with Blair, Thomas (2018 the exception... but 2018 was an anamoly for several players) and C Brown playing low impact small forward roles that they were never going to look great in.

Thankfully now we have a new breed of small forward in McReery and Ginnivan... who look like they are allowed to play with a bit more freedom and flair

Beyond that, Thomas is a great story of determination and redemption... and I’m sure pies fans with him all the best in retirement... but it’s a step in the right direction that he will no longer be in the 22 in 2022.
Buckley was very dismissive of Kayle Kirby as well.. Because his pressure wasn't great.

Josh was never a star but I agree with many that state he is a mid who made a career as a forward. He was an opportunist who was a super reliable set shot and also was great at snagging a half chance goal. It was no coincidence that he played well when the team was playing well and dropped away as did the club and the midfield. Should be proud of what he made of his career after the early blunder. Would guarantee any of the supporters on big footy would take what he made of his career, if they had a chance, in a heartbeat.

Buckley was very dismissive of Kayle Kirby as well.. Because his pressure wasn't great.
Or because his fitness was so bad that he could barely manage a quarter of footy at senior level…

He was quite fine by the second half of the year in the VFL. Buckley didn't like him. I'm close with his family.
Lol no he wasn’t. Mate I was one of his biggest fans, had the biggest man crush on him out of anyone here, but I’m not going to pretend his fitness was anything other than completely s**t when he arrived at the club and only slightly less s**t by the end of his time with us.

This 30 games too many BS is pretty disrespectful IMO.

if there were better options they would have been getting games. This forum in general has an absolute hard on for unproven talent and is far too harsh on veterans. It happens time and time again. I remember Luke Rounds and Danny Stanley being heralded as the next coming of Gary Ablett at the expense of fringe players and it seems this still goes on on here.

Thomas had a poor year in 2020, no denying that. I thought he was reasonable this year when you consider the overall form of the side and I don’t think he embarrassed himself too regularly. Was solid enough and deserved his games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or because his fitness was so bad that he could barely manage a quarter of footy at senior level…
That's it plain and simple he was never fit enough for the top level, no doubt he had talent and was a goal kicker but I don't think he wanted it enough.

if there were better options they would have been getting games. This forum in general has an absolute hard on for unproven talent and is far too harsh on veterans. It happens time and time again. I remember Luke Rounds and Danny Stanley being heralded as the next coming of Gary Ablett at the expense of fringe players and it seems this still goes on on here.

Thomas had a poor year in 2020, no denying that. I thought he was reasonable this year when you consider the overall form of the side and I don’t think he embarrassed himself too regularly. Was solid enough and deserved his games.
Thomas's 2020 was definitely poor but was a bit better in '21 I do think the game went past him a bit but at the end of the day he he had a decent career and was a great club man.

Wow tarks like rounds and Danny Stanley gotta say I never thought either one of them were up to the level let alone being the next Ablett.

What do you mean by 'Buckley didn't like him'?
He means that Kayle wasn’t getting games because his fitness was so s**t and he told his Mum that Bucks didn’t like him rather than tell her the truth that he wasn’t working hard enough to be AFL match fit.

Josh Tomas played 123 games and that,s about right, maybe later in his career there was very few options other than him but earlier in his career injuries killed him otherwise he might pushed 200 but I like most here would have loved to play 123 games at a reasonable standard for Collingwood and apart from the drugs at that show he always put in the effort.

Mods why does the title of this Kayle Kirby thread say “Josh Thomas”?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back