Player Watch Josh Thomas (Retired 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

He's a forward. Its surprising he doesnt really look like a forward but he seems to be a very natural goal kicker.. Townsend from Richmond is similar in that he looks like a midfielder but is a forward despite not really having the traits of one other than popping up in the right spots

Nah, he's an inside mid. Hands are as clean and creative as just about anyone at our club. Difference between JT and some of the others though is that he can still impact when played forward. Set shot goal kicking can be a bit hit and miss and he lacks penetration in his kicking, but he makes really good position.

The club seem to really like him as an inside mid, but not as an around the ground mid - maybe he lacks a bit of endurance, his running patterns aren't great or he doesn't read the game particularly well. You regularly see him him at centre bounces and it's because his hands are so clean and he reads it really well off the tap, but then after the stoppage, he always seems to be playing ahead of the ball - you don't often see him working back into defensive 50 - like you tend to see other genuine around the ground mids - hence him not racking up big numbers. FWIW, in our team, I like his potential to give us something up forward - a bloke who is really good at ground level. In the past he's hit a lot of ground balls cleanly on the move in dangerous spots, but not much has come of it - perhaps due to a previous lack of strength, but that goal in the GWS game was a really good sign of what he could be capable of doing consistently.

His 2-way running can be poor. If he could improve that he'd get more midfield time. As it stands the club maximizes his centre clearance work, then sends him forward.

Nah, he's an inside mid. Hands are as clean and creative as just about anyone at our club. Difference between JT and some of the others though is that he can still impact when played forward. Set shot goal kicking can be a bit hit and miss and he lacks penetration in his kicking, but he makes really good position.
Disagree strongly for all the reasons I previously mentioned last night

I was firmly in the 'keep Keefe and dump Thomas' camp after the unpleasantness, credit where it's due Thomas has made me a believer.
Like that unpleasantness been a fav of mine for years watched him in the VFL a few times and gee he played poorly in some games I even thought he wasn't gonna make it he was so bad in hindsight I think that unpleasantness might have been a problem and might have been affecting his performance pre ban just a gut feel.

his a very good 23rd player. if we have all* players fit he would likely be squeezed out. but when called on plays his role very well. almost Blair 2.0

Disagree strongly for all the reasons I previously mentioned last night

Happy for you to disagree. That doesn't make it any less so though.

"Didn't play a game in his first 3 years on the list - pick 75 etc"
Patience pays.

That was largely due to injured feet. Hardly seen without a moon boot his first few years at the club.

I really disagree with that statement. IMO, JT has been under-rated on this board, I think he has some really elite traits. We have not got a surplus of players with the ability to win it inside and then the pace to run away from the pack and get into open space. It's a very enticing combination of attributes. Indeed, I think we only have one other - Treloar. Adams, Pendles, Greenwood, Blairy and Callum are too slow. Sidey is too outside and slow. WHE, Varcoe and Stevo are all outside. Crispy can kind of do it, but his dreadful disposal decision making makes JT look like Darren Jarman!

For me JT frustrates me, though perhaps I rate his ability higher then most. Its not his kicking (I acknowledge it isn't a strength, but I don't think he is in the Crisp, Phillips, Greenwood panic category), but there just seems to be an element of flakiness about his footy, where he just lacks the relentless work rate of Treloar, Adams etc In 2013 and 14 he had several high possession games >25 disposals. I really think he is capable of more then he is showing

Good observation.. he seems to be a little willing to stand back and let some of the others take center stage. I reckon he needs to cultivate some more of the 'I'm a selfish pr%$k, look at me' attitude and demand more of the ball and not defer to the Treloar's, Adams and Pendleburys...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Patience pays.
The club has been extraordinary patient with JT. Whilst I was of the opinion that he should have been delisted after the ‘incident’, it is great to see him repaying the faith.

Patience pays.

Spot on. Gotta give some credit to the club after sticking by him. Ultimately we made the right call - but still has a ways to go to pay back the faith. JT going about it the right way, but.

Well we re rookied Keefe and Thomas. You'd take the return we're getting from what we have and look set to get out of Thomas and than twice on Sunday's inclusive of Keeffe being a bust.

Was just watching the mangrook footy show.
Josh was a guest.
At the very start of the interview with him they ask him a question and he starts his answer like this...
"Like I said"
Wtf Josh.
How do you start your first comment with "like I said"
It's the first thing you're saying for gods sake.
Must be on drugs.

Josh was a guest.
At the very start of the interview with him they ask him a question and he starts his answer like this...
"Like I said"
Wtf Josh.
Must be on drugs.
'Like I said', you mustn't have been listening...;)

Josh was a guest.
"Like I said"
Wtf Josh.
Must be on drugs.

Perhaps they had spoken to him off air beforehand. He just forgot the punters hadnt seen it.

Josh was a guest.
"Like I said"
Wtf Josh.
Must be on drugs.

Uber drivers a f kd up Otto.........plus he is from Queensland (ducks for cover)

Uber drivers a f kd up Otto.........plus he is from Queensland (ducks for cover)
That's what really annoyed me about his suspension. Surely if the AFL were serious about their equalisation policies, they'd allow Queenslanders to use PEDS.

Josh was a guest.
"Like I said"
Wtf Josh.
Must be on drugs.
What's the problem?
He didn't say WHEN he'd said it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back