Player Watch Josh Thomas (Retired 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, I'm a huge long term Thomas fan. I think he's 1 of the best inside mids at the club, and prior to the emergence of Sier last year was 2nd only to Pendles for use by hand in close. But 2-way running has never been a strength, nor has his defensive ability and tackling. His offensive running and work has always been good which is why he works well forward.

That said, the midfield I thought functioned at its best in 2018 with Sier in, Treloar and Beams out of the current mix. Thomas only ever had small cameos. I think they'll re-find the chemistry but if asked, I'd say Sier's absence is the biggest issue at the moment. I also think Treloar has lost a yard since the hammy issues so we're also lacking his explosive exit from the stoppages. Hopefully that'll return. Beams was always going to take time to adjust to the new environment.

Interesting you think Thomas isn't super quick because I always rated him among our quickest. He to seems to have lost a yard this year for some unknown reason.
All good points Jackass.
Regard JT as being nippy off the mark rather than super fast I guess.
As far as Treloar goes I prefer him causing havoc on the outside as he seems to get tangled up with the opposition when at the centre bounce. Some cameos from JT in there would help us and him I reckon.

He's been playing his part the past 2 months that's for sure.. let's hope he plays a blinder on Saturday and that we can get through once again to the grand final.

He's been playing his part the past 2 months that's for sure.. let's hope he plays a blinder on Saturday and that we can get through once again to the grand final.
I was harsh on him earlier in the season - took me too long to come around to the idea that him playing on the flank rather than the pocket wouldn't lead to the same output as last year.

Varcoe's form has been baffling though.

Reckon he's pretty important to us. Like how he keeps a lid on things and is often seen organising our forwards. His nous around stoppages is valuable too. Hoping he has a ripping finals series and his last quarter v the Cats is a sign of more to come.

Reckon he's pretty important to us. Like how he keeps a lid on things and is often seen organising our forwards. His nous around stoppages is valuable too. Hoping he has a ripping finals series and his last quarter v the Cats is a sign of more to come.

Thomas is great depth. He has a knack for goals, is clean and good around stoppages. When your bottom six are guys like Thomas you have a strong 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s slow and timid these days. Never had a high hurt factor on his possessions but for a time he knew where the goals were. Goneski.

If he gets another game for us I'll spew.

He was a good player in 2018 and could find the goals.But he's dropped off alarmingly since then.It’s almost as if he’s forgotten how to play football now.Just doesn’t seem to know what to do with the ball and always gets caught because he takes too long to dispose,of it.

Anyone ever think, he is just a victim to our terrible ball use going into the forward line instead?

Look at good the fast ball movement was in 2018

Not at all, because he’s so often the perpetrator of said terrible ball use going forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Back