Delisted Josh Walker (2015-2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

Walker makes his return
Josh Walker will fill Harris Andrews’ boots on Saturday, with the key defender replacing the Vice-Captain against Hawthorn in Launceston. Walker’s inclusion is the only change for Senior Coach Chris Fagan’s 22-man team taking on the Hawks.

Fagan told media earlier today that he has full faith in Walker. “The thing is you’re going to have good players out from time to time,” he said. “This week is no different. “We’ve got our number one tall defender out, but Josh Walker will come into the side and play that role. “He’s been playing that role really well at different times over the past couple of years and no doubt he’s looking forward to his opportunity.”

Bump.

He has been sensational this season. I am a little bit perplexed as to why Brisbane got rid of him. Has slotted into Scott Thompson's role very nicely.
Yep. There are plenty of Lions supporters who would like to have him still on our list. The club signed Marcus Adams and seemed to prefer him to Walker, which in hindsight was a gamble that hasn’t paid off. I hope you continue to enjoy his football. He’s got plenty of years left in him.

Bump.

He has been sensational this season. I am a little bit perplexed as to why Brisbane got rid of him. Has slotted into Scott Thompson's role very nicely.

Putting to one side the fact that all things aren't equal between North's needs and ours, I think Fages has a pretty clear picture of our needs in defence and Josh obviously had deficiencies which, given the other players we have in defence, meant he couldn't be played other than through depth to cover for injury. I'd suggest that one part of that is what Josh can provide in terms getting the ball out of defence and assisting in the rebound. He is obviously competent at reading the ball and effecting a spoil.

I'd suggest that one part of that is what Josh can provide in terms getting the ball out of defence and assisting in the rebound. He is obviously competent at reading the ball and effecting a spoil.
I think he has done really well in terms of getting the ball out of the defensive 50 because his contested marking is elite right now. I agree. He reads the ball extremely well.

It was also one of his traits at Geelong. Always known for having great hands.

You can't tell me that Josh wouldn't have played most games in our team this year if he was still on his list. I wish he was still on our list and I don't buy for a second that Adams is an upgrade on him. At least you can actually get Josh on the park, Adams is nothing more than a broken down athlete. with little footy nous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can't tell me that Josh wouldn't have played most games in our team this year if he was still on his list. I wish he was still on our list and I don't buy for a second that Adams is an upgrade on him. At least you can actually get Josh on the park, Adams is nothing more than a broken down athlete. with little footy nous.

He didn’t last year and wouldn’t have this year

Very true. We swapped a seasoned player entering his prime for an injury prone and currently injured speculative player. A poor choice amongst a welter of recruiting coups.

Josh has one advantage that Gardener will never make up. SIZE. He cannot be pushed off it.Darcy play on bigger blokes every week.

Obviously Adams (the same age as Josh) was earmarked to take the second tall so Darcy could take a smaller forward but I think,unfortunately, Adams may be a blow out.

Josh is a free agent after this year so we could get him back!!!!!!!!!

He's doesn't do anything Andrews can't do and Andrews is younger and better. I don't particularly like the recruitment of Adams, but he does things Walker doesn't. This is very much clear. It also allows for Gardiner to go on dangerous smalls, rather than talls.

He's doesn't do anything Andrews can't do and Andrews is younger and better. I don't particularly like the recruitment of Adams, but he does things Walker doesn't. This is very much clear. It also allows for Gardiner to go on dangerous smalls, rather than talls.

The thing that Adams doesn't do is actually get out on the park. People forget in Josh's last 20 games for us he made the AFL team of the week twice playing as a backman. Birchall brings us lots that Josh or Adams don't but I was against Birchall coming as I did not want two injury risks.

Hopefully Adams gets fit and plays well but it is back in the first part of the Doggies premiership year when he has put together more than a few good games.

We also had a clear focus on moving the ball quicker from our half backline which has been helped by not having Walker down there

Lester or Walker? Your choice.
Because only one of them is playing in the team this year.

Walker, Eagles and Payne (not to mention Skinner who they moved forward) are all very similar type defenders and given that none of them were getting a game last year despite all looking very capable of stepping up if called upon. With list spots being needed to be opened up Walker was a casualty. It is fantastic that he has landed on his feet and it does highlight how much depth we still have at KPD. Personally I would like to see us using more of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back