Player Watch Josh Worrell

Remove this Banner Ad

It baffles me we are playing all of McAsey, Borlase, Worrell and Frampton down back in the SANFL when there is really only one AFL spot for them

We did try McAsey forward for a while, but looks to have abandoned it.

Though, I wouldn't particularly expect the forward line to be any easier to break into. Especially once we commit to Gollant as a best 22 player.

We did try McAsey forward for a while, but looks to have abandoned it.

Though, I wouldn't particularly expect the forward line to be any easier to break into. Especially once we commit to Gollant as a best 22 player.
Worrell was levels above Gollant at U18's levels.....until we got our hands on him anyhow.

You could almost say that how someone played when they were 17 isn't a reliable measure of how good they will be when they're in their 20s
You could almost also say that our development with Josh Worrell in particular has been very questionable...

You could almost also say that our development with Josh Worrell in particular has been very questionable...
I agree with you...how will we ever know if they don't give him some games to actually see what he's capable of.
Get him in the league team and take a proper look at his game.

We had some opportunities to give him more afl games with injuries.. particularly to Doedee... but we only gave him 1 game.

Maybe he's just a bust?

Or a slow developer, which is also fine
Yeah, I’m not sure he’s very accountable as a defender.

He’s stats look solid on paper, but his opponent always seems to do some damage.

Kinda reminds me of Hendo back in the day.

Maybe he fell in the draft for a reason? It’s not like our calls on players have been great

Players make or break their own careers. If he was showing the right stuff at training he would be getting games. In this case, where he is a member of a rebuilding squad, he is afforded way more opportunities to impress than the average player at any other club. the club would be digging out every angle to find the diamonds within our squad. I think we need to stop pandering to the idea of his development by the club and coaches is flawed because it fits the narrative of I saw him at training once and he looked good, plus he was a talented junior so he should be playing. Look, the coaches have plans, they obviously want to see him take his game to new levels in the sanfl. he will have ample opportunities this year to press for selection. Its not like spots are closed off to a few like in a finals bound side.

Does Josh get his 2nd game of AFL this week ?
Not an exact replacement for Smith but can we get him in the team ?
Been playing well this year and a good game last week.
We need to find out if these guys who have been on our list for a few years can make it
If he does come in, I hope he doesn't just get the one game when Smith comes back
Gives us the opportunity to release Dawson up the ground also

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to find out if these guys who have been on our list for a few years can make it
If he does come in, I hope he doesn't just get the one game when Smith comes back
He has been building! I would play him as the third tall which frees Doedee to take Smith's role. I would also bring in Hinge which allows Dawson to the wing. Sholl needs to go for now and both work on his body and parts of his game. Would bring in Hamill. This gives us plenty of options to allow Cook to play a bit more forward of centre if we wish.

Making him the travelling emergency (24th player) this week would be the most AFC thing ever.

Maybe he fell in the draft for a reason? It’s not like our calls on players have been great
I think you'll find the reason he slipped a little was down to some recruiters having doubts about his commitment to the sport long term. It's on the record that the Sandy Dragons Coach/team manager sat him down and told him he needed to take a more serious attitude to his football if he was serious about an AFL career.

Looking at it from a distance it appears he has taken the advice on board and apart from one misstep early on with us he appears to have knuckled down well and honestly he has produced form worthy of AFL opportunities in the 2's well before now.

I think you'll find the reason he slipped a little was down to some recruiters having doubts about his commitment to the sport long term. It's on the record that the Sandy Dragons Coach/team manager sat him down and told him he needed to take a more serious attitude to his football if he was serious about an AFL career.

Looking at it from a distance it appears he has taken the advice on board and apart from one misstep early on with us he appears to have knuckled down well and honestly he has produced form worthy of AFL opportunities in the 2's well before now.

Any rationale on why is pure conjecture.

Whatever concerns pre-draft there may have been, or not, he hasn’t exactly lived up to where he was drafted let alone anything higher

Hopefully for his sake, and ours, there’s a player in there somewhere

The problem is you really need an outside player to replace Smith, not an intercepting third tall. That's a big chunk of our ball movement gone after all.

That's really the problem Worrell faces. Undoubtedly AFL quality, but with us having Doedee, the position being an easy one, and Worrell not showing a great deal as a shutdown player, we really don't have any need for Worrell outside of injury depth. It's probably time we view intercepting third talls like rucks, where there are more genuine AFL quality players around then there are jobs.

The problem is you really need an outside player to replace Smith, not an intercepting third tall. That's a big chunk of our ball movement gone after all.

That's really the problem Worrell faces. Undoubtedly AFL quality, but with us having Doedee and the position being an easy one, we really don't have any need for Worrell outside of injury depth. It's probably time we view intercepting third talls like rucks, where there are more genuine AFL quality players around then there are jobs.
Worrells not a KPD in the vein of Murray or Butts though. He has been plying the link role in the SANfL. Probably averaging 20 touches a game

That's really the problem Worrell faces. Undoubtedly AFL quality, but with us having Doedee, the position being an easy one, and Worrell not showing a great deal as a shutdown player, we really don't have any need for Worrell outside of injury depth. It's probably time we view intercepting third talls like rucks, where there are more genuine AFL quality players around then there are jobs.

Why don't we get Worrell to play the HBF role that Dawson is at the moment and move Dawson to a wing ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back