Player Watch Josh Worrell

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice little endorsement from Campbell Brown...

Not afraid to launch a 2nd gamer into his team of the week.
FZDYhPhaUAA4Tlj
Does Brown watch the games or just look at DreamTeam points?

Does Brown watch the games or just look at DreamTeam points?
Hard to tell, keays didn't have a particularly high fantasy score but still deserved to get in. Whilst Walsh on the other hand got 40 nothing touches but quite a few fantasy points.

While I thought he was good for a second gamer and certainly showed enough to stay in the team, he was a bit lucky with a couple of those free kicks.

One area of improvement I really want to see is him using his footskills to pick off kicks in the corridor. I constantly read people talk about his elite leg but he was purely long down the line (much like Butts and Murray). He has the opportunity to be a real point of difference in our back 6 so I hope that isnt coached out of him and he is encouraged to take more risks with his ball use.

While I thought he was good for a second gamer and certainly showed enough to stay in the team, he was a bit lucky with a couple of those free kicks.

One area of improvement I really want to see is him using his footskills to pick off kicks in the corridor. I constantly read people talk about his elite leg but he was purely long down the line (much like Butts and Murray). He has the opportunity to be a real point of difference in our back 6 so I hope that isnt coached out of him and he is encouraged to take more risks with his ball use.
He was lucky because he played in front✔️
a 2nd gamer is going to be cautious to try and pick off a high % kick, but his technique is good and clean he’ll become more confident

Watch the positions in which he got the ball and the amount of time Carlton had to set up around him. Think it was more of a reflection of where /when his touches came rather than not being offensively minded.

And please never compare him to Butts and Murray.

If you took the last two games EACH for Butts and Murray they combined for a total of 17 kicks and 484 meters gained.

Worrell's 2nd game of AFL footy - he had 12 kicks for 447 meters gained (80% of the game on the field). He also had 3 inside 50's.

He was a massive upgrade on Doedee offensively. Based on his game against Carlton - Its looking like we might be headed to a tough decision. Butts / Worrell / Doedee / Murray - can we carry all 4?

Watch the positions in which he got the ball and the amount of time Carlton had to set up around him. Think it was more of a reflection of where /when his touches came rather than not being offensively minded.

If you took the last two games EACH for Butts and Murray they combined for a total of 17 kicks and 484 meters gained.

Worrell's 2nd game of AFL footy - he had 12 kicks for 447 meters gained (80% of the game on the field). He also had 3 inside 50's.

He was a massive upgrade on Doedee offensively. Based on his game against Carlton - Its looking like we might be headed to a tough decision. Butts / Worrell / Doedee / Murray - can we carry all 4?
Blighty suggested last night Doedee up forward. Can mark and is a decent shot at goal. Would be worth having a look at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blighty suggested last night Doedee up forward. Can mark and is a decent shot at goal. Would be worth having a look at.
I actually wouldn't mind a look at him in the middle. Maybe not a full time midfield role, but he's a decent size, decent disposal, it would be worth chucking him in there for a few centre bounces to give it a different look and see how he goes. Although to be honest, Doedee's form this year hasn't inspired a lot of confidence that he'd do much in any area of the ground. At this point I'd probably leave Doedee out for the rest of the season, make an early start on preparing for next year while giving Worrell the remaining few weeks for a clear run in defence. Save the Doedee forward/midfield experiment for next year.

I actually wouldn't mind a look at him in the middle. Maybe not a full time midfield role, but he's a decent size, decent disposal, it would be worth chucking him in there for a few centre bounces to give it a different look and see how he goes. Although to be honest, Doedee's form this year hasn't inspired a lot of confidence that he'd do much in any area of the ground. At this point I'd probably leave Doedee out for the rest of the season, make an early start on preparing for next year while giving Worrell the remaining few weeks for a clear run in defence. Save the Doedee forward/midfield experiment for next year.
All for the Worrell experience, Doedee worries me with his hand to foot combination it’s slow, opposition mids will suffocate that

His positioning was very good I agree and you can see a vast improvement from his first game.

His ball use was no different to the way they have been using it all season so I'm fine with that comparison at the moment from a ball use perspective, but I hope it continues to evolve as we already have too many types that play long down the line. It wasn't a quantity concern but a quality one. I want to see him kick the ball with some urgency into the corridor and have that as a part of the game of all of our HBFs.

We can carry all four as long as his offensive ball use improves as he becomes more confident at AFL level.

Borlase has performed more consistently than almost all of our listed players SANFL wise ....it's just that I don't see his lack of pace translating to the 3rd tall intercepting mark at AFL level he'd have to play, no way he could play Key Defence on the taller KPF's.
You're pretty easy on him IMO, he was making 2 or 3 howlers per quarter earlier in the year.
Obviously must be pretty coachable because he's cleaned it right up.
Lucky to be one per qtr now.

Yes we can.

Don't need to follow 'roles' as such (and will be happy to never hear "the Lynch role" again), but Doedee could replace a Luke Brown type, or Jake Kelly type.

Also we could use him against intercepting loose men, like a Tom Stewart or Lever. The ones too big for Ben Keays to take care of. Doedee has the height, pace, aerial capability to take a mark or the defensive mindset to spoil if needed. Nuggety enough to do body on body work against those guys as well. Smart enough to play to complex instructions too I reckon.

All for the Worrell experience, Doedee worries me with his hand to foot combination it’s slow, opposition mids will suffocate that

Don’t see Tom as a midfielder at all - no reason he can’t play as the 4th defender. The third defensive option should be able to step up to be the second option and Tom has shown he can’t do that. He probably fights with Hinge and Parnell for a spot now

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back