Traded Joshua Schache (2015-2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep. Hammo showing what a totally uneducated watcher of the game he is. Does he think we wouldn't like a top end free agent? Can he identify any who want to come to us? Does he realise how many first round picks the Giants have and how few we have? Does he realise that in return for the players they lost the Giants got genuine quality picks in return and we got steak knives and crumbs? He knows nothing and yet says he can't see another club offering $700k for Schache. His opinion on the topic is about as valid as his assessment of our predicament. What a tool.
Typical gutter journo....why let the facts get in the way of a story

Schache speculation ‘blown up’
JOSH Schache says speculation on his future has been “blown up” with the Brisbane Lions batting away talk on his contract status.

Schache, whose future has been the centre of speculation all season with several Victorian clubs poised to offer the promising forward, was all praise for the Lions and said he would work through his next deal with his manager.

2094c2e681b60bd6fb503ed6623c54c2

Out of contract at the end of the season and poised to be offered lucrative long-term deals from rival clubs, Schache said he was unsure where all the talk had come from.

“I think a lot of speculation (that’s been) going through the media has been all blown up out of nowhere,” Schache said on the Nine Network last night.

“Me and my management ... He (manager David Trotter) hasn’t been shopping me, he hasn’t been doing anything wrong. Stuff has been going on, I have been pretty hard to believe with what the media has been saying.”

Asked if he intended meeting with rival clubs, Schache tried to downplay the hype. “Obviously I am enjoying my time with the Brisbane Lions, so I’ll work with my manager and see how things go.”

The young forward, taken with pick 2 in the 2015 AFL Draft, acknowledged it had “been a little bit tough” dealing with ongoing speculation, and thanked the Lions for their support.
Schache has booted six goals from six games this season but last week was told to break from footy, returning home to Seymour to recharge his batteries ahead of the second half of 2017.

"I am thankful for what the club has been able to do for me and my family and working closely with my family and working closely with my management,” he said. “I couldn’t say anything bad about Brisbane Lions. They’ve been awesome supporting me through this time, with the family and couldn’t thank them enough.”
:rolleyes:

If Schache wants out, he could be banished to NEAFL
IF YOUNG Brisbane Lions forward Josh Schache announces he wants to leave the club before the end of the season, coach Chris Fagan will "think twice" about whether the Victorian will play in the senior side again.

Schache took leave and returned home to Seymour after playing in the NEAFL a fortnight ago.

The 19-year-old will return to the club on Monday and the coach has been in contact with the key forward.

The No.2 pick in the 2015 NAB AFL Draft is out of contract at the end of the season and Fagan told Fox Footy if Schache decides he wants out, he might struggle to play in the AFL again this year.

"It's an interesting one about the continuation to play. If a guy decides he's going to leave your footy club and he's not going to help you into the future, and you're not in the finals race, you probably have to think twice about investing games into him, as opposed to another young player who's going to stay," Fagan said.

The Lions are on the bottom of the ladder, having lost nine straight matches since beating Gold Coast in round one.

Schache has struggled this season, playing six games for six goals.

Fagan said he would not be part of discussions with Schache's manager David Trotter, instead leaving it to Lions football manager David Noble. The coach was unsure when Schache would make his decision.

"I don't know what the timeframe is on that. I don't know whether the two weeks will escalate things or not," Fagan said.

Schache wanted to play for the Lions in the lead-up to being drafted because his late father Laurence played 29 games for the Brisbane Bears.

Fagan is still confident the Lions would retain Schache.

"I'm very hopeful that he'll stay. I think Brisbane's looked after him incredibly well. I'm not in Josh's mind and body, and he might be incredibly homesick. That's something that's very difficult to stop, if that's what's happening," Fagan said.

"I know that we've done everything as a club to help him and I know he knows that. We'll just see how it goes but I've still got a strong level of optimism that he'll stay with us."

In any case, Fagan expects to see Schache in a much better mood upon his return.

"The break here at home's done him the world of good and hopefully when he comes back tomorrow he's a happier chap than what he was when he came home. It's important to look after the wellbeing of your players and he's been under a lot of pressure," Fagan said.

Brisbane tables a moderate offer to out-of-contract young key forward Josh Schache
THE Brisbane Lions have tabled a moderate offer for out of contract Victorian key forward Josh Schache, who is weighing up whether to stay or return to his home state.

The Lions are understood to have offered Schache, 19, a base contract of about $350,000, with incentives that would enable him to earn around the $500,000 mark if he played games and performed.

The contract offer was for a short-term of two or three years and was made prior to Schache returning home to Victoria — with the club’s blessing — during Brisbane’s bye last week.

It is understood that the Lions, at this stage, are not prepared to pay Schache the $600,000 or more that club great Jonathan Brown said would be necessary to secure the youngster.

Industry sources said the offer tabled by the Lions, while substantial for a player who is just 19 and who is a long way from maturity, is well short of what Schache would be expected to command from a Melbourne-based club if he left, given the market for key forwards.

Drafted at pick no 2 in the 2015 national draft, Schache is on the radar of some Victorian clubs keen to land a young key forward. Richmond, mooted as a potential bidder, has not confirmed to foxfooty.com.au that it is interested in landing the key forward.

Last Sunday, Brisbane coach Chris Fagan told AFL Today that the Lions would be reluctant to play Schache in the seniors if they knew he was leaving. Schache has been playing in the NEAFL, where he will resume this weekend and might be trialled at centre half-back.

“At the end of the day, $600 (thousand) probably gets it done,’’ Brown told Fox Footy’s On the Couch.

“If he is so homesick and he definitely doesn’t want to play in Brisbane well, a million bucks probably doesn’t get it done.”

Brown said he was confident the Lions would be ‘’having a crack at keeping him.’’

While l like that we arent paying him a gold mine, I just think we are shooting ourselves in the foot. It may not be about money but 350k is not gonna get it done. Espeially if his home state was planning on paying him more than doube that plus he gets to play with his friends, in better conditons etc.

While l like that we arent paying him a gold mine, I just think we are shooting ourselves in the foot. It may not be about money but 350k is not gonna get it done. Espeially if his home state was planning on paying him more than doube that plus he gets to play with his friends, in better conditons etc.

350k base contract. Add in match payments and performance bonuses and it's a very different picture. Trust Noble over media speculation. He's not some hack fumbling in the dark.

Josh Schache re-signs

The Brisbane Lions have secured the playing services of Josh Schache for a further two years.

Taken at pick #2 in the 2015 National Draft, the promising forward has played 23 games since his debut in 2016.

The Victorian was out of contract at the end of this season but has now pledged his allegiance to the Lions until the end of 2019.

Brisbane Lions General Manager of Football David Noble said Schache has an exciting long term future at the Lions.

“We’re extremely pleased to retain a player of Josh’s talent – at only 19 he has shown his ability to play at AFL level and his future is exciting,” said Noble.

Schache has a longstanding connection to the Club, with his late father Laurence playing 29 games for the Brisbane Bears.

“We were always confident Josh would stay, as he has a part to play in our future as we continue to grow united as a Club,” said Noble.

“Josh can now focus on his development as both a player and a person within our Club systems."

Schache said he was excited to re-sign with the Brisbane Lions and to repay the opportunity he was given when drafted by the Club.

“Having been at the Lions for a couple of years and seeing where we are headed, I’m really excited about our future,” said Schache.

“I enjoy living in Brisbane and playing footy with a committed and hard working group.”

Schache joins first year midfielder Jarrod Berry and defender Tom Cutler who have already recommitted to the Club this season.

“We want to become relevant again and the fact that Josh and a number of our emerging players have already re-signed shows they are buying into our Club and want to be part of our future,” said Noble.

Josh Schache returns to form with five-goal NEAFL bag
JOSH Schache has made a welcome return to form, booting five goals in the NEAFL less a fortnight after ending months of speculation about his future by recommitting to the Brisbane Lions.

The 19-year-old was the leading goalkicker for the Lions in their 150-point win against Southport at Fankhauser Reserve. He also picked up 17 disposals and 10 marks. Schache had struggled in his past two NEAFL matches, managing a combined total of just 11 disposals and one goal.

Lions NEAFL coach Mitch Hahn told AFL.com.au Schache's effort had impressed. "He started that (improved form) last week with his work rate and intensity. As it is with forwards sometimes, you get on the end of the goals," Hahn said. He was granted leave late last month and headed back to his home town of Seymour in country Victoria to deal with fatigue as speculation swirled over his future.

Several Victorian clubs, headed by Richmond, were interested in luring the No.2 selection at the 2015 NAB AFL Draft but Schache returned to the Lions and inked a new deal that will keep him at the club until the end of 2019. "He's in a really good spot. Obviously he's happy to get the contract signed and it's great for the Brisbane footy club and for himself," Hahn said. The left-footer has played six games in the senior side this year for six goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lions are turning the corner, says Fagan
Draftee Alex Witherden will make his debut, but recently re-signed forward Josh Schache will have to wait at least another week to break into the senior team. Schache was dropped after round eight and has played two matches in the NEAFL, kicking five goals last weekend.

"This is more a partnership between Josh and the coaching group," Fagan said. "In a sense we want him to make the call when he's ready, and I think he's pretty keen at the moment to build form in the NEAFL and come back into the AFL side on the back of a number of weeks of good form. "Hopefully he can produce another good one this week and start to make his claims in the next few weeks."

Patience name of the game for Lion cubs
WHILE debutant Alex Witherden admits he has been bursting with impatience to get into the Lions’ senior side, Josh Schache is content to build form in the NEAFL.

He also revealed Schache’s wait for a return to the senior side was partly his own decision. Schache was dropped after Round 8 and has played two matches in the NEAFL, kicking five goals last weekend. “This is more a partnership between Josh and the coaching group,” he said.

“In a sense we want him to make the call when he’s ready, and I think he’s pretty keen at the moment to build form in the NEAFL and come back into the AFL side on the back of a number of weeks of good form.’’
cdc4310b4492a4cd94d5b1a175102af7

Two positives for Fagan
It might be getting closer to the return of former No.2 draft pick Josh Schache, who has not played in the seniors since being dropped following round eight. He kicked another five goals in the NEAFL on Saturday – the second such haul in three weeks – in the Lions' 20-goal victory.

"I haven't looked at the tape, but on the surface five goals looks like a good result," Fagan said. "We'll just have to have a look and see how well he played. It's good to hear he did that."

Around the state leagues: Who starred in the twos?
State league affiliate: Brisbane Lions (NEAFL)
This weekend: Aspley v Brisbane Lions - Saturday, July 8, 1.30pm, Graham Road

Young forward Josh Schache booted five goals in his team's 121-point win over Aspley, giving him two bags of five in his past three games. Schache, who booted four goals in the first half, was his team's best player as the recently re-signed forward pushed for a return to AFL level.

INSIDE THE LIONS' DEN
One of the great problems for Brisbane has been player retention, and it reared its ugly head for them at the end of 2013. Sam Docherty, Elliot Yeo, Jared Polec, Billy Longer and Patrick Karnezis all requested trades to their home states. Through those various moves, however, the Lions have yielded Lewis Taylor, Tom Cutler, Dan McStay and Nick Robertson — all of whom have enjoyed a consistent run in the senior team.

McStay recently signed on for an extra two years, and their No. 2 selection from the 2015 draft, Josh Schache, showed his commitment by extending until 2019.

“There’s a lot of boys that have come up from interstate, and I think the environment we’ve created here is really positive,” Crowell contends. “They want to be here, and they’re really clear on where we’re going. I’m pretty sure the players now actually know that the club cares for them as people.”

Speak to those close to Schache, and they’ll tell you that he battled while deliberating on his decision. The constant media speculation — the talkback radio discussion, airtime on various AFL TV shows, column inches and of course, the back page of The Age that depicted him in a Richmond jumper — all affected a 19-year-old who was making an impossible decision.

While a large contingent of reporters had his leaving papers all but signed, the Lions never lost faith in their young cub. They were honest, open and supportive, and let it be known that if he needed a spell at any time, that wish would be granted. Brisbane weren’t making decisions out of panic due to the speculation, they made calls based on what was right for a teenager.

“We were catching up regularly with Josh to make sure things were going well at home,” Crowell added. “We had consistent conversations with his family to see how they were going. Josh was talking to me about how he was going off the field — whether he was physically or mentally flat, and how he was coping with what he had to consume on social media.”

In May, and around the height of the speculation, Schache took some much-needed time away from the club in his home town of Seymour. And while the external noise bordered on the ridiculous, the internal feeling never wavered. A couple of days after returning north, he put pen to paper on a new deal.

“Both Josh Schache and Dan McStay were big signings for the club, and particularly Josh,” said Lester. “For him to stay sent out a message that there’s a good culture, despite the fact that at the moment he’s playing NEAFL. It was really powerful for us as the Brisbane Lions to become relevant again in the AFL world.

“The reality is that we’ve been lost in the last four or five years because we haven’t been finals contenders and we’ve struggled to retain players. Teams probably come up to the Gabba and see it as a chance to get some good weather and get an easy win.

“I feel like we’re on the right path.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back