Journalism is dying

Remove this Banner Ad

There haven't been many articles critical of Cricket Australia's decision to sell the tv rights for limited overs internationals to Foxtel since most of the media outlets here are also owned by Murdoch, you'll find plenty of ads for Foxtel and Kayo though.

Why would you be looking for criticism ? Its about money 100% & the people who feel entitled to see it for nothing.
Surprised you cant find anything that supports entitlement.

The print versions of News Corp/Nine Media are just as bad as the free versions online.

The West Australian put up a pay wall so a bunch of their 'premium' content isn't free. I try to read The West whenever I get a coffee during work and it takes longer to grind some beans and steam some milk than it does to read it cover to cover. Trash, syndicated trash, ads, spread on Nic Naitanui feeding a giraffe, more trash, more ads... why would anyone pay for that?

The free West was my lifeline to whats happening back home, living in Melbourne WA issues dont get much coverage here.

Should I pay?

Why would you be looking for criticism ? Its about money 100% & the people who feel entitled to see it for nothing.
Surprised you cant find anything that supports entitlement.

It's not about entitlement, certain sports events in Australia, including limited overs internationals are on the anti-siphoning list which means they are supposed to be shown on FTA channels. Cricket Australia found a way around that though by selling the rights to Ch7 who had an agreement to on-sell those rights to Foxtel, both Ch10 and Ch9 were prepared to show the limited overs internationals if they won the rights but they didn't offer as much money as Ch7 and Foxtel.

Cricket Australia got greedy for a bigger tv rights deal while sacrificing the growth of the game, you only have to look at how much cricket has declined in popularity in the UK since it went to pay tv to see how foolish that decision is but there have been very few media articles that are critical of it.

This is one of the few I can find.

The recent termination of sports media presenters and changing media landscape is weighing a little on my mind in terms of undertaking a related uni course next year.

I like Crikey, the guardian and Michael West

Michael West is a star. True Crime Australia is not bad, can do some whacky s**t, but also good stuff.

Still amazing they broke the Barnaby Joyce love child story, and those cretins at News Corp accepted a Walkley for it.

Michael West is a star. True Crime Australia is not bad, can do some whacky s**t, but also good stuff.

Still amazing they broke the Barnaby Joyce love child story, and those cretins at News Corp accepted a Walkley for it.
The Barnaby Joyce story was common knowledge for months, I'm amazed nobody ran it.

The anti-siphoning list seems like a waste of time as written.

4 Events or events of a kind the televising of which should be available free to the general public

The events specified in the Schedule are events, or events of a kind, the televising of which should, in my opinion, be available free to the general public.

4 Australian rules football
Each match in the Australian Football League Premiership competition (including the Finals Series).

7 Cricket
(3) Each one day cricket match that:
(a) involves the senior Australian representative team selected by Cricket Australia; and
(b) is played in Australia.

So all ODIs in Australia should be on FTA TV, but then shouldn't all 207 games of the AFL season be also? That hasn't been the case since 2001.

Yep I don’t mind true crime and you are right, he is a little whacked
He did call out Sharri Markson but it fell on deaf ears unfortunately

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I couldn’t tell you who won Game 5 of the World Series. However I can tell you during game 5 the President was booed and jeered and three women flashed their breasts

Michael West, not across his work, a journo? I'll give it a run.

So what jpournalistic standards do you like there OR do they report in a way that supports your view of the world?

Bit of both I suppose,
Quite thorough in their preparation and able to print full stories through being independent so you get the big picture and probably because they are stories you don’t necessarily see in MSM.

The Guardian has picked up quite a few quality journalists that found they could no longer work for their current bosses so it’s been great being able to read their own POV

This electronic photocopying has been this way for years. Every now and again a news story used to pop up about some interesting new invention or some new construction project, the story in the newspaper or on TV being a bit light on I'd go see if the company had a website to look up further information. There on the company website was usually an article written by the PR department, which the news had lifted and copied word for word, with the same vagueness and scant detail. Lack of detail in reporting shits me. The journalists don't seem to have the time or the resources to speak to the people involved and ask further questions - they just print the press release. What other people want you to hear.

The other thing that shits me is news articles with Twitter quotes.

Further to that, they don't question anything. They just print claims. If there is a controversy they just print both claims without actually asking either side any questions. So we get stupidity and lies reported as "one side of the story". If someone is full of s**t and telling lies a common sense journalist ought to be calling them out on it and not letting them get away with bullshit. This goes for politicians, corporations, unions, protest groups and activists. People should get called out for spouting demonstrable bullshit.

This is so true........."opinion of opinion pops up as news."

News should become a legally defined term and infotainment sold as news illegal

Adelaide lost it's only "news"paper when The News bought out the Advertiser. So SA have been without "news" for circa 40 years.......no wonder the place is what it is. Other states followed suit with mergers and acquisitions of news outlets but the biggest killer was the fast nature of the internet and social media.
The line between news, editorial and opinion has been blurred probably since cuneiform was first put to tablet, but in the claick-bait insta-news world any distinction that existed has basically been removed.
And investigative journalism doesn't really exist any more in the commercial world. It is expensive with no gusrantee of a payoff. And even if you do get the story it will be trumped within minutes of a) somebody lifting it and claiming it as their own, or b) a celebrity's latest butt-lift. Which is sad, because the one thing traditional media has that online start-ups and social media "influencers" don't is the resources and knowledge of producing long-form journalism.

The masses don't want anything that makes them truly think about their own opinions.

They can tolerate polemic, so long as it revolves around simple binaries e.g. good vs bad, us vs them, left vs right, etc.

But they cannot tolerate anything that truly challenges their preconceived notions.

Moreover, they want hundreds of micro-hits of the good feelings you get when you click on exciting stories.

Sex, drugs, scandal, celebrity caught in sex and drugs scandal, they love it.

Just the way it is.

With the dumbing down of the education system, it will only get worse.

And if you honestly do not believe the education system is being dumbed down, then it worked on you very well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back