Autopsy JTL1 v Adelaide Roast, Toast & Changes for JLT2

Best players vs Adelaide

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

And if you get that part of the game right the speed on the turnover gives you players out in the open on the rebound. Happened a couple of times Friday night. Ball use doesn't have to be as pristine if your guy is in the open running towards an open goal!! Biggest problem with last year's style was that when it's so slow everyone is always under pressure and manned up. Guys just have to have the instincts to be ready for that turnover and get out in the open.
Yep you got it in one.

Very true, although our skills were scratchy on Friday night. You could see the clear intent to move the ball smarter and the increased corridor use was great.
I'm just praying the foot skills will improve and the game style is sustainable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah our skills started off scratchy on Friday night but as the game got on I felt our skills by hand and foot got better. Still not great but definite improvement as the game wore on.

Some of the culprits got better with game time and some of the offenders will most likely be playing VFL. It's hard to be precise when playing a full on attacking game plan. We were actually poor in the first and early second quarters when we were still lacking in confidence executing the new ball movement game style.
Second game will reveal a lot more and I'm looking forward to see how we start off

I wonder if we will alter our game style based on the opposition we play. I'd like us to take the Geelong/Hawthorn approach where we back in our game style against all comers. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

theres not a lot left to bring in.Only Rance, Houli and maybe Hampson and Menadue so i reckon the squad we played rnd 1 is pretty close to the squad that will play opening round. whats left?

Rookies
Chol - hoping like mad we play him.But he is a rookie. I have a strong opinion that theres a great need to play him regardless.
Moore - see Chol. praying we play one of them roting them in and out of the team as form warrants. its a must we get games into our talls.
Stengle - first yr rookie player wont be promoted with Butler, Edwards, Rioli, Lloyd and Bolton in the role.
Soldo - very raw rookie still. Seems he is tracking okay but has three in front of him.
Castagna - should have been given more games last yr showed a bit last yr and did enough in jlt to put his name up. Likely will be the one rookie promoted.So we can cross the others out for rnd one.

Seniors - newbies

Graham - first yr player who has had some niggles. Now has to surpass some pretty decent competition for an inside role.
Bolton - skinny first yr player who has some serious competition for a sml fwd role
Garthwaite - undersized first yr tall player. the need for tall defenders could see him thrown in the deep end.
You would hope they get some games but are probably behind atm.

Seniors - Battlers

Lambert - Vfl standard player
Townsend - did he play ???? i know he was named.
Broad - mature recruit who has not shown a lot.
Drummond - Looks ordinary to me but who knows.
Morris - ahh a dimma favorite, to be honest would not be surprised to see him as a fave play rnd 1 but i hope not.
Elton - well he has a lot to do just to stay on the list. underwhelming to date is probably being kind. really hope he can take a step theres every chance he will be needed. Like the other talls i think theres a need to get games into him time to sink or swim.
What can one say they should only be there in case of injuries.

Seniors most likely

Rance - says it all.
Houli - will play but im hoping he has to earn it.
Menadue - played 14 games last yr and showed enough needs to build on that.
Hampson - will probably play but reckon Nankervis should play in front of him imo.

So looking at who has not played not many of them will play rnd one its very much the B List with the obvious exception of a few.

I hope when the younger blokes in this group play we play enough of our better players around them to give em a fighting chance to show what they can do.

Still puzzled how peoe are still saying ball use wasn't great.
To me as long as we're running in numbers , putting immense pressure on the ball carrier and hoping to get a turnover so that when we push it forward our leg speed gives us a scoring option.
Bulldogs won a flag with intense pressure ,attacking hack football which revolved around breaking speed once the turnover took place. Friday night was a positive step forward and only game one of this plan .

I read this and all i see is #eci

Send from my ipad with righteous man power.

I wonder if we will alter our game style based on the opposition we play. I'd like us to take the Geelong/Hawthorn approach where we back in our game style against all comers. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

If we are serious then yes. We cannot go back as DH game plan relied on slowing it down in order to execute the next possession accurately , but clubs worked it out depending on who had the ball. To either cramp him up and let him misfire or to flood back and close down the forward options. Then we were forced to go backwards or sideways and he rest was history.

I read this and all i see is #eci

I still have concerns with areas of the list , but the game plan Friday night win lose or draw was palatable to the eyes.
Give me until the Melbourne game as ATM I have mixed emotions.
A bit like going through puberty all over again. :p

I still have concerns with areas of the list , but the game plan Friday night win lose or draw was palatable to the eyes.
Give me until the Melbourne game as ATM I have mixed emotions.
A bit like going through puberty all over again. :p

Lol, totally understand. I'm holding all judgements until after round 6. All i want to see right now is a change in game style and no injuries. And we know now what Nank, Prestia and Caddy bring to the table.

Been meaning to mention this since some may not have realised, or may have only "felt it" but known it's improved.

The biggest change to our defensive intent is that we're trying to impact every contest. We might not make a clean tackle or stop the ball from moving onto the next player, but we're impacting the way that ball is delivered and making it so it's harder for that player to participate in the next passage of play.

For example Dusty's bump (love you Hate):
0GFOGhL.gif

With Douglas on the ground, he has to spend the time getting up [read: flying... and getting his wind back] at which point the ball may be well away from him. If Dusty had just gone with a slight tackle and left him standing, he could have been part of a link up that results in an Adelaide goal. The less players near the ball or able to move the ball, the easier it is to defend.

There were heaps of other examples of this throughout the game, but it's a huge change from our "corralling". This isn't to say corralling won't be used, it's just about picking the right time to use it (for example, covering the corridor so a kick into the forward 50 goes to the pocket).

Keep an eye out for it in our second game. :thumbsu:

theres not a lot left to bring in.Only Rance, Houli and maybe Hampson and Menadue so i reckon the squad we played rnd 1 is pretty close to the squad that will play opening round. whats left?

Rookies
Chol - hoping like mad we play him.But he is a rookie. I have a strong opinion that theres a great need to play him regardless.
Moore - see Chol. praying we play one of them roting them in and out of the team as form warrants. its a must we get games into our talls.
Stengle - first yr rookie player wont be promoted with Butler, Edwards, Rioli, Lloyd and Bolton in the role.
Soldo - very raw rookie still. Seems he is tracking okay but has three in front of him.
Castagna - should have been given more games last yr showed a bit last yr and did enough in jlt to put his name up. Likely will be the one rookie promoted.So we can cross the others out for rnd one.

Seniors - newbies

Graham - first yr player who has had some niggles. Now has to surpass some pretty decent competition for an inside role.
Bolton - skinny first yr player who has some serious competition for a sml fwd role
Garthwaite - undersized first yr tall player. the need for tall defenders could see him thrown in the deep end.
You would hope they get some games but are probably behind atm.

Seniors - Battlers

Lambert - Vfl standard player
Townsend - did he play ???? i know he was named.
Broad - mature recruit who has not shown a lot.
Drummond - Looks ordinary to me but who knows.
Morris - ahh a dimma favorite, to be honest would not be surprised to see him as a fave play rnd 1 but i hope not.
Elton - well he has a lot to do just to stay on the list. underwhelming to date is probably being kind. really hope he can take a step theres every chance he will be needed. Like the other talls i think theres a need to get games into him time to sink or swim.
What can one say they should only be there in case of injuries.

Seniors most likely

Rance - says it all.
Houli - will play but im hoping he has to earn it.
Menadue - played 14 games last yr and showed enough needs to build on that.
Hampson - will probably play but reckon Nankervis should play in front of him imo.

So looking at who has not played not many of them will play rnd one its very much the B List with the obvious exception of a few.

I hope when the younger blokes in this group play we play enough of our better players around them to give em a fighting chance to show what they can do.

I still reckon there is 1 more not mentioned there.

I think SHort is close to a lock for 22, although I wonder why he didn't play on Friday night.

I still reckon there is 1 more not mentioned there.

I think SHort is close to a lock for 22, although I wonder why he didn't play on Friday night.

In place of Conca or Hunt I'd say. Can't see Brando getting dropped...yet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cam Ellis-Yolmen did his ACL

Just goes to show you these practice matches can be a nightmare

Poor dude. Was looking to actually be apart of the crows midfield makeup this season.

I don't recall him going down at all during the match the game was Friday, how does he only know he did his acl now?

Dunno, I'll see if I can get his number so you can call and ask him

Perhaps read a little about it before commenting...

They thought it was a minor injury... Happened during the match!
He's the one that had what looked like a cramp near the end of the game right?

JLT2 team id like to see.

Short - Astbury - Garthwaite
McIntosh - Rance - Markov

Rioli - Martin - Menadue
Nakkers - Caddy - Prestia

Butler - Riewoldt - Bolton
Castagna - Elton - Moore

Chol - Miles - and any 4 that did not play JLT1.
Thats 10 changes ?? but importantly it retains enough of the better players to give the newbies a chance.

JLT2 team id like to see.

Short - Astbury - Garthwaite
McIntosh - Rance - Markov

Rioli - Martin - Menadue
Nakkers - Caddy - Prestia

Butler - Riewoldt - Bolton
Castagna - Elton - Moore

Chol - Miles - and any 4 that did not play JLT1.
Thats 10 changes ?? but importantly it retains enough of the better players to give the newbies a chance.
I like it. Would love to see that. I wouldn't mind seeing Drummond this pre season either.

Back