Judd's comments re Crouch Bros

Apr 20, 2004
Regional VIC
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt

I think he has a fair point with his remarks. We do look awfully one-paced, as many of us here have mentioned. We look fine when we're winning the taps or at least nullifying the opposition, but as soon as we struggle in that area, our plodding midfield can't seem to get stop the opposition.

Sloane's reaction “Yeah there are a lot of bulls, but we also have some guys that rotate through there now like Wayne Milera, Brodie Smith, Paul Seedsman, Rory Atkins, Richie Douglas — they can all come through there and add a little bit of speed and flexibility for us.” is a bit hard to fathom, as I think only Milera and Smith have a modicum of leg speed.

Whatever's happening we need a different mix, as we're simply going to get blown away by decent opposition, unless we do re-structure the midfield.

BrissyCrow

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg & Most Other Tiger Teams
There's far bigger problems with the list than worrying about the Crouch's
I would be interested if you could explain what the far bigger problems are. The way we are performing suggests that we do have issues but what do you see they are

OzSparrow

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Manly, Glenelg, Liverpool FC
Happy to take this guy off their hands in a trade from our feeder club:

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona

I think he has a fair point with his remarks. We do look awfully one-paced, as many of us here have mentioned. We look fine when we're winning the taps or at least nullifying the opposition, but as soon as we struggle in that area, our plodding midfield can't seem to get stop the opposition.

Sloane's reaction “Yeah there are a lot of bulls, but we also have some guys that rotate through there now like Wayne Milera, Brodie Smith, Paul Seedsman, Rory Atkins, Richie Douglas — they can all come through there and add a little bit of speed and flexibility for us.” is a bit hard to fathom, as I think only Milera and Smith have a modicum of leg speed.

Whatever's happening we need a different mix, as we're simply going to get blown away by decent opposition, unless we do re-structure the midfield.
Yeah Sloane's comments are quite telling.

Firstly Smith, Seedsman, Atkins and Douglas have not spent a millisecond in the centre square this season. Certainly not as part of our regular rotations. The first three never have. Douglas in the past but no longer.

So it's only Milera and that's only sparingly when we're not trying to shoehorn him in up forward.

That Sloane had to bend the truth to highlight our 'leg speed through the middle' only shows how clear the weakness is and also how fully aware of it Sloane is. Hence having to come up with that spin.

The Jones non-selection this week is truly stunning. The last fortnight has, at the very least, showed us that we aren't going to win a premiership this season. It's over. We might scrape into finals but who cares. So the priority becomes...?

Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I would be interested if you could explain what the far bigger problems are. The way we are performing suggests that we do have issues but what do you see they are
KPD - 1 v 1
Ruckman
HFF (possibly x 2)
Genuine elite MF (1st pick in draft)

BrissyCrow

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg & Most Other Tiger Teams
KPD - 1 v 1
Ruckman
HFF (possibly x 2)
Genuine elite MF (1st pick in draft)

I agree with most of what you have said but in reality havent we created these issues ourselves.

Question could Sloane play HFF. Can mark, can run forever but not all that fast, has the instinct of where the play is going and can kick a reasonable distance.

I agree with the MF so long as he has speed. This week GWS are going to debut Hill who was picked at 24. We wanted speed and this guy apparently has tons of it. Now he will line up in the GWS team a team that has so much skill that would make it hard to break into. Yet our draft picks dont seem to get that same exposure. Are we selecting the wrong type of player. Some posted on here that we tend to draft for the tomorrow and not the today. I would have thought you need to try and do both depending on where your team is at.

Ruckman, when we selected s**t we had a chance in the last draft to pick a ruckman. Bailey Williams was still around when we selected Hamill. Having said that isnt Hamill meant to be one of our next defenders.

Will be interesting to see what our selections are this coming draft and whether we do trade our some older talent.

Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I agree with most of what you have said but in reality havent we created these issues ourselves.

Question could Sloane play HFF. Can mark, can run forever but not all that fast, has the instinct of where the play is going and can kick a reasonable distance.

I agree with the MF so long as he has speed. This week GWS are going to debut Hill who was picked at 24. We wanted speed and this guy apparently has tons of it. Now he will line up in the GWS team a team that has so much skill that would make it hard to break into. Yet our draft picks dont seem to get that same exposure. Are we selecting the wrong type of player. Some posted on here that we tend to draft for the tomorrow and not the today. I would have thought you need to try and do both depending on where your team is at.

Ruckman, when we selected s**t we had a chance in the last draft to pick a ruckman. Bailey Williams was still around when we selected Hamill. Having said that isnt Hamill meant to be one of our next defenders.

Will be interesting to see what our selections are this coming draft and whether we do trade our some older talent.
The club had planned to draft a ruckman for development in Don's first year. He argued and ultimately won that the list needed more speed. Hence Gallucci. ROB is going ok. If we don't draft another ready made ruckman this year, does Jacobs get a 1 year contract to play 2nd fiddle. For all we know Jacobs may just decide to retire.

Sloane? Don't know

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers

Yeah... and let me guess Juddy ya flog.. that “one” of the crouch bros should look at coming to Carlton..

This bloke speaks with a forked tongue.

What also has to be taken into account is that if one of the crouch bros did manage to be encouraged into asking for a trade at the end of this season, and that trade happens, that the first thing that happens when he walks in the door at his new club is they ask him to start pushing his brother to come join him..

If it happens this year the club needs to ask for massive overs for the first one that leaves... massive overs..

And as for sloanes comments about how the crouches are backed by “Wayne Milera, Brodie Smith, Paul Seedsman, Rory Atkins, Richie Douglas”.. pffft, half these blokes are spuds and the other half are in poor form..

The crouch bros are the least of our problem its all lads around them that are currently the issue. We need a speedy, classy elite mid to help the crouch bros and then to * off the spuds that arent helping them... not lose a crouch brother.. hopefully the top 5 pick we get from Carlton gets us this mid.

Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Yeah... and let me guess Juddy ya flog.. that “one” of the crouch bros should look at coming to Carlton..

This bloke speaks with a forked tongue.

What also has to be taken into account is that if one of the crouch bros did manage to be encouraged into asking for a trade at the end of this season, and that trade happens, that the first thing that happens when he walks in the door at his new club is they ask him to start pushing his brother to come join him..

If it happens this year the club needs to ask for massive overs for the first one that leaves... massive overs..

And as for sloanes comments about how the crouches are backed by “Wayne Milera, Brodie Smith, Paul Seedsman, Rory Atkins, Richie Douglas”.. pffft, half these blokes are spuds and the other half are in poor form..

The crouch bros are the least of our problem its all lads around them that are currently the issue. We need a speedy, classy elite mid to help the crouch bros and then to fu** off the spuds that arent helping them... not lose a crouch brother.. hopefully the top 5 pick we get from Carlton gets us this mid.
Someone like Jones?

I don't watch junior football, so 95% of knowledge of this years draftees comes from this board. From what I've read Anderson's size as a point of difference and his ability to play forward appeals to me a little more that Rowell atm.

May 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
WWTFC,Chelsea,Glasgow Celtic,Lech Poznan

Chris Judd should be given a please explain by the AFL. He is a director at another club and he should not publicly comment. He should worry about his own poor performing club.

Burtonsgottago

Premiership Player
May 5, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Rubbish by Judd. Crouch brothers are our youngest starting mids. Sloane, Greenwood, and CEY will all retire before them. Why would you trade one of them out to be left with only one guaranteed decent midfielder in 2-3 years time?

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Rubbish by Judd. Crouch brothers are our youngest starting mids. Sloane, Greenwood, and CEY will all retire before them. Why would you trade one of them out to be left with only one guaranteed decent midfielder in 2-3 years time?

Exactly right.

If we're going to trade out a midfielder because we're one-paced (and that's a fair criticism), surely you trade out the least important ones first. Not the ones who will form the backbone of your engine room for the next decade?

And that's before we even get to the fact that they clearly like playing together, so if you lose one, you risk losing the other as well.

WeedsMullet84

Cancelled
Oct 31, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtic, Glenelg

Why on Earth did we go for Gibbs then? Even in 2018 it was apparent to everyone at Adelaide that he needed to work on his speed in/out of the contest, i believe he was told as much by coaches in his review, no? He wasn't ever known for his blistering speed at Carlton, either. We never replaced Dangerfield, who really had a bit of everything in the middle.

Aug 18, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Judd's full of it. But we certainly lack speed. We all know that feeling when an opposition mid with speed and good lateral movement gets the ball.....that feeling of knowing he'll just dance around our boys and drill an inside 50 to his forwards.

Last time i was on the other end of that feeling we had Charlie Cameron playing for us.

beartoo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Moana Heights Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
we need a restructure from the top down. How many of the blokes that get selected week in week out were in the team that delivered the 2017 GF debacle? That game should have led to a change of captain and a clean out of some older players.
The second-half wimpfest last weekend was delivered by much the same players that delivered the GF wimpfest.
Yeah, the midfield is one-paced, but our issues are deeper than that. No KPF worthy of the name is one issue.
Heads should roll after performences like the GF and against Pear.
Back the boys in an we'll do GC X 60 and all is apples once more. When we strike decent opposition, we get shown up for the minnows we are. Very little guts and determination overall in this mob.

Jul 17, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
The club had planned to draft a ruckman for development in Don's first year. He argued and ultimately won that the list needed more speed. Hence Gallucci. ROB is going ok. If we don't draft another ready made ruckman this year, does Jacobs get a 1 year contract to play 2nd fiddle. For all we know Jacobs may just decide to retire.

Sloane? Don't know
Jacobs barely broke even with the overweight, shorter Baulderstone. He's 100% cooked. Time to look elsewhere for 2020 back ups.

Back