Judd's comments re Crouch Bros

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
What's frustrating too is us locking down an opposition mid. We did it against Melbourne and Brisbane with Gibbs and Jones, but refused to against the Power. Who is making the calls to tag in those games and why are they then refusing to do it in others. It worked well in both cases and led to us making both close games.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
We did do this as part of the change after the North loss.

I recall quite a few different combinations going through the middle and it worked.

Not sure that has been maintained, the eye test suggests not.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Certainly didn't look like it like last week. We ran Sloane, Greenwood and the Crouches into the ground with a few forward cameos from Douglas and then seemingly reluctantly moved Milera in to the rotations during the 4th quarter.

Jul 17, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Certainly didn't look like it like last week. We ran Sloane, Greenwood and the Crouches into the ground with a few forward cameos from Douglas and then seemingly reluctantly moved Milera in to the rotations during the 4th quarter.

We are so dumb and refuse to learn.

They even identified we were bees to the honeypot and yet stacked the midfield with players who only know how to play that way.

We need pace, we need penetrating or at least precision foot skills.

Milera, Jones, pick 2.

Doedee and Smith given a real shot at playing midfield...why typecast these guys. They can always rotate back as necessary.

Add in the Crouches and CEY and we have a great mix.

Sloane can transition to a damaging flank/wing with mid cameos.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apsaalooke

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Ozark Mountain Daredevils
He's identified the problems but his solution stinks. Just give our players away to the Vic teams, yeah that works.

Apsaalooke

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Ozark Mountain Daredevils
What's frustrating too is us locking down an opposition mid. We did it against Melbourne and Brisbane with Gibbs and Jones, but refused to against the Power. Who is making the calls to tag in those games and why are they then refusing to do it in others. It worked well in both cases and led to us making both close games.
Campo doesn't tag. Using our worst performing player to limit their best performer seems obvious to everyone else but our coaches.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Campo doesn't tag. Using our worst performing player to limit their best performer seems obvious to everyone else but our coaches.
Seems like we feel our system is so awesome we don't need to tag

Because the defensive mechanisms are set up so perfectly that they render the opposition mids obsolete

To resort to a tag would be a system failure

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
You mean a bit like this guy:

View attachment 707647
And this guy..

maxlilly

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
over here
AFL Club
Adelaide
We are so dumb and refuse to learn.

They even identified we were bees to the honeypot and yet stacked the midfield with players who only know how to play that way.

We need pace, we need penetrating or at least precision foot skills.

Milera, Jones, pick 2.

Doedee and Smith given a real shot at playing midfield...why typecast these guys. They can always rotate back as necessary.

Add in the Crouches and CEY and we have a great mix.

Sloane can transition to a damaging flank/wing with mid cameos.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would also like to see Doedee become a midfielder as he has the size and speed

Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide
My preference would be to trade Matt Crouch.
He doesn't have the flexibility to play any other position than centre.
He doesn't cover the ground and cant put on any defensive pressure from the centre clearances because he is to slow.
He has limited hurt factor with his disposal and rarely hits the scoreboard.
And doesn't have the height to be a marking target coming out of defence.
He can definately find the ball but these days, you need some more weapons to be a topline midfielder in the AFL

+ look away handballs and 20m dinky kicks

PS : Godden is the midfield assistant coach and Campo is Senior Assistant and Game Day Strategy 😱😱😱

Last edited:
I don't know why there is an attempt to concoct a reputation for Chris Judd as some sort of football intellectual. But it gets more absurd every time he comments.
I find it funny he is on the Carlton Board advising on footy operations... & then they wonder why they are so badly run lol.

Huntercrow

Dwat that Wabbit
Feb 7, 2009
Hunter Valley
AFL Club
Adelaide
we need a restructure from the top down. How many of the blokes that get selected week in week out were in the team that delivered the 2017 GF debacle? That game should have led to a change of captain and a clean out of some older players.
The second-half wimpfest last weekend was delivered by much the same players that delivered the GF wimpfest.
Yeah, the midfield is one-paced, but our issues are deeper than that. No KPF worthy of the name is one issue.
Heads should roll after performences like the GF and against Pear.
Back the boys in an we'll do GC X 60 and all is apples once more. When we strike decent opposition, we get shown up for the minnows we are. Very little guts and determination overall in this mob.
Yeah. I think it is obvious that the slide from our GF nightmare has continued from last season.
The problem is despite a near full list, this season we are struggling to put 4 quarters together. Some of our best football is exceptional......but.......the rest of it is bloody terrible.
That third quarter fade out against the enemy after an inspirational goal from Tex was inexplicable. In other seasons I would have put my house on a Crows goal fest. But wasn’t to be. instead we were deer in the headlights.
I think the apology from the CEO during the week was telling for many of the 22 from that night.
As far as Judds remarks are concerned I am hoping he is trying to pull off a deal for one of the Crouch brothers (hopefully not Matty)

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
So if we think our midfield is one paced. Instead of trading out quality players like the Crouches (the few that we have ) lets try that concept I have heard of where you trade IN players to fill a need. Imagine that.

So if we think our midfield is one paced. Instead of trading out quality players like the Crouches (the few that we have ) lets try that concept I have heard of where you trade IN players to fill a need. Imagine that.

Should trade out one of our abundance of half back flankers. Smith or Laird most likely - both would have currency, yet both have stagnated in recent times.

Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Gallucci and Polhoke were supposed to be the start of that process, instead of a ruckman. Fogarty and McPherson were too good to pass over (besides both being SA boys - to pacify the masses with the go home factor).

And last year we went after Jones, McHenry, Hamill, Sholl.

We might just have to wait a couple of years this transferred on field

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Gallucci and Polhoke were supposed to be the start of that process, instead of a ruckman. Fogarty and McPherson were too good to pass over (besides both being SA boys - to pacify the masses with the go home factor).

And last year we went after Jones, McHenry, Hamill, Sholl.

We might just have to wait a couple of years this transferred on field
I wonder how long we will need to wait for McPherson to get an AFL gig

Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I wonder how long we will need to wait for McPherson to get an AFL gig
it won't be this year. I was surprised at how big he is now as a comparison to when he was drafted. Next year wouldn't be out of the question if he has trouble free pre-season surely

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
Should trade out one of our abundance of half back flankers. Smith or Laird most likely - both would have currency, yet both have stagnated in recent times.
Laird 100%

Smith is damaging at times.

But only trade Laird for a mid, not for picks. Picks are useless to us for about 3 or 4 years

Back