Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
We did try to address this. That's what Gibbs was about. Unfortunately a year late and also, although he is classier by foot than the Crouches and Sloane he was never likely to address the lack of defensive run.

The Crouches literally stop as soon as the ball is further than an arms length away.

Crazy how our midfield coaching has allowed this tradition to be passed down through Thommo to Danger and Sloane and now to the Crouches.

They only do it because it's accepted.

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
We aren't in a premiership window. We need maximum picks and we need to ******* play them
Yeah but you know we're not going to play them. We can change coach but the culture won't change. He'll adapt to our culture pretty quickly.

So draft picks are useless to us for 3 or 4 years. No draftee mid is going to push the Crouches out of the middle either because they can't play any other position.

skittlebrew

Premiership Player
Feb 8, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
The problem is every time you go to the draft you roll the dice, no guarantee they will become a competent player let alone a great one.

Judd is correct in that we severely lack speed but the last time we went out of our way to draft speed we ended up with... Gallucci.

Imagine trading out Brouch only to get Gallucci in return, it would be a monumental loss.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
The problem is every time you go to the draft you roll the dice, no guarantee they will become a competent player let alone a great one.

Judd is correct in that we severely lack speed but the last time we went out of our way to draft speed we ended up with... Gallucci.

Imagine trading out Brouch only to get Gallucci in return, it would be a monumental loss.
Well you can’t know how that comparison will play out when Gallucci has only played 27 games.

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No

Exactly. If we're trading to upgrade our midfield we need to trade for a known quantity, not go to the draft.

We already have the best draft pick we could hope for anyway.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Yeah but you know we're not going to play them. We can change coach but the culture won't change. He'll adapt to our culture pretty quickly.

So draft picks are useless to us for 3 or 4 years. No draftee mid is going to push the Crouches out of the middle either because they can't play any other position.
Brad Crouch made the 2011 U18 All Australian team on the half back line a position he played with distinction as a junior.

Some of Hamish Ogilvie's words..

“At under-18 level Brad was a running half-back who kicked the ball a lot and kicked goals, broke the 50 and not playing as much on ball, whereas Matt was the real inside mid accumulator like Matt Priddis.

Ogilvie, who is now Adelaide’s national recruiting manager, first became aware of Brad Crouch when he played in the National U16 Championships for Vic Country.

“When he was a 17-year-old I saw him playing for Ballarat against Geelong at Warrnambool. He played half-back and kicked this goal which was the moment Matty (Rendell) and I said ‘wow, this bloke is a bit better than just a really talented 17-year-old’,” recalled Ogilvie.

skittlebrew

Premiership Player
Feb 8, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide

skittlebrew

Premiership Player
Feb 8, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Pointless comparison which proves nothing.

It's not pointless at all. Stats show Brouch had been influencing games from an age even younger than Gooch is now.

What metric would you like to compare players then? Peter J's arbitrary eye test?

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
Brad Crouch made the 2011 U18 All Australian team on the half back line a position he played with distinction as a junior.

View attachment 707987

Some of Hamish Ogilvie's words..

“At under-18 level Brad was a running half-back who kicked the ball a lot and kicked goals, broke the 50 and not playing as much on ball, whereas Matt was the real inside mid accumulator like Matt Priddis.

Ogilvie, who is now Adelaide’s national recruiting manager, first became aware of Brad Crouch when he played in the National U16 Championships for Vic Country.

“When he was a 17-year-old I saw him playing for Ballarat against Geelong at Warrnambool. He played half-back and kicked this goal which was the moment Matty (Rendell) and I said ‘wow, this bloke is a bit better than just a really talented 17-year-old’,” recalled Ogilvie.

Do you see post groins Brad as a running half back?

What he did as a 17 year old isn't really relevant any more. Too much water under the bridge

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Do you see post groins Brad as a running half back?

What he did as a 17 year old isn't really relevant any more. Too much water under the bridge
Maybe not but I do see Brad's fitness base being further improved with an uneventful 2019 -20 pre-season under his belt now that he seems to have his groins condition under control. Only had a couple of minor setbacks this pre-season so hopefully he can get through the 2019 -20 pre-season unscathed and improve his fitness base further. People here seem to forget how far back Brad was coming from with his fitness base with his inability due to his groins issues to get the all important kms into his legs coming into this pre-season and football season. I'm expecting his form to build further in 2020 if he can get through the remainder of this season injury free and get a COMPLETE pre-season with no setbacks under his belt.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's not pointless at all. Stats show Brouch had been influencing games from an age even younger than Gooch is now.

What metric would you like to compare players then? Peter J's arbitrary eye test?
Because plucking an arbitrary year is ridiculous. Wait until they’ve both played 100 games - or even 80 for Gallucci.

I suppose picking a random year comparison means Brad is a better player that Dangerfield too lol

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

I suppose picking a random year comparison means Brad is a better player that Dangerfield too lol
If Brad's body hadn't let him down so miserably he may very well have been in that discussion because the similarities in ability and game styles to both lads as juniors are startlingly close.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
If Brad's body hadn't let him down so miserably he may very well have been in that discussion because the similarities in ability and game styles to both lads as juniors are startlingly close.
Which is exactly why doing a comparison as 19 year olds is pointless. Who knows what happens in future

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Kind of ironic that a director at a club with one of the worst lists/teams in the history of football feels that he can criticise the list of another, much better, rival.
Carlton are very tall and slow up forward, which is why they've only won 4 games since 2017. Curniw, McKay, McGovern, Casboukt, Cripps rests forward.

I think the should consider trading Curnow.

Am I doing it right? 🤪

skittlebrew

Premiership Player
Feb 8, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Because plucking an arbitrary year is ridiculous. Wait until they’ve both played 100 games - or even 80 for Gallucci.

Don't pluck an arbitrary year, look at them as a whole and rule a line through Brad's where he is older than Gooch. Brad showed a lot more than Gooch, hardly rocket science. It isn't as if Gooch is a tall that needs longer to fill out.

Wait until they’ve both played 100 games - or even 80 for Gallucci.

'We can't possibly compare the two players until their careers are all said and done'. Weak move. What you do is you grow some stones and make a prediction. Thing is you could be wrong, unlike your statement.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Don't pluck an arbitrary year, look at them as a whole and rule a line through Brad's where he is older than Gooch. Brad showed a lot more than Gooch, hardly rocket science. It isn't as if Gooch is a tall that needs longer to fill out.

'We can't possibly compare the two players until their careers are all said and done'. Weak move. What you do is you grow some stones and make a prediction. Thing is you could be wrong, unlike your statement.
Well the premise of your irst post was that you can’t accurately guess. “Roll of the dice” - and that’s correct. Now you want to start guessing?

Gallucci has played 27 games. Just makes no sense to be making calls on his career.

skittlebrew

Premiership Player
Feb 8, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Well the premise of your irst post was that you can’t accurately guess. “Roll of the dice” - and that’s correct. Now you want to start guessing?

Gallucci has played 27 games. Just makes no sense to be making calls on his career.

So we can't possibly make any predictions on a player who has spent 3 years on a list? Gotta wait til he clicks over the 100 game mark until we can see their potential?

No delistings in crowland until you've played a 100. Ben Jarman come back, you might be as good as your farther! Because of course it's 'Impossible to tell' until his reached 100 AFL games.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
So we can't possibly make any predictions on a player who has spent 3 years on a list? Gotta wait til he clicks over the 100 game mark until we can see their potential?

No delistings in crowland until you've played a 100. Ben Jarman come back, you might be as good as your farther! Because of course it's 'Impossible to tell' until his reached 100 AFL games.
No, now you’re changing the criteria.

Are we making a call on a career or are we comparing 2 specific players?

I’m happy to predict Gallucci will have a good AFL career based on 27 games. Will he be at B Crouch level? That needs more time of course.

To be honest, at this stage, Gallucci doesn’t have a huge amount to make up as things stand. B Crouch has had injury issues, but even so, has never been AA or club champion.

Crouch may achieve those things with greater continuity. Or he may stagnate.

Lots of questions only time will answer - the whole exercise is quite silly

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
Maybe not but I do see Brad's fitness base being further improved with an uneventful 2019 -20 pre-season under his belt now that he seems to have his groins condition under control. Only had a couple of minor setbacks this pre-season so hopefully he can get through the 2019 -20 pre-season unscathed and improve his fitness base further. People here seem to forget how far back Brad was coming from with his fitness base with his inability due to his groins issues to get the all important kms into his legs coming into this pre-season and football season. I'm expecting his form to build further in 2020 if he can get through the remainder of this season injury free and get a COMPLETE pre-season with no setbacks under his belt.
My issue with Brad isn't so much his fitness or general spread, it's the way he stops as soon as the ball is flicked out of the contest. He doesn't have to be super fit to put in those few yards of chase and pressure the ball carrier, but its as if he just decides, well, I'm probably not gonna catch him so I'll just stop and watch.

He's not alone in our midfield with this behaviour, in fact I would say it's a trademark.

It's obviously accepted by the coaches because it would be fairly simple to stamp out if it was deemed unacceptable.

Jul 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
The mix of our inside and outside players is an ever-increasing dilemma that badly needs some clever coaching and player management strategy, something our club lacks.

Inside mids: our preferred model is still Brouch, Matt and Sloane with CEY in there to add some muscle along with Greenwood. The starting three is very similar in their attributes, hence the Judd comments. This is a problem.

Inside/Outside miss: this is Gibbs and Milera and ideally Smith. But we rarely use them at the starting bounce and against Port, we saw how our accumulators got sucked to the ball and we were badly beaten on the outside.

Outside: Atkins, Seeds and Mackay are our classic outside receivers.

Future: today in the SANFL we saw the power of FOG with Jones and McHenry handy.

The problem with the starting three is our inability to move the pieces around. Move Brouch to HBF, bring Smith/Milera up to the centre and move Sloane to HFF. Drop Mackay and bring in FOG to bash through some blokes in the centre next to Matt and Smith

These are the changes that address our "consistent" starting middle and would immediately add pace and some difference.

I don't think Judd was off the mark.

Back