Mega Thread Judgement Day has passed... "It is what it is", but what is it?

Will Neeld be coaching MFC on Queen's Birthday?

• Yes

Votes: 48 69.6%
  • No

Votes: 21 30.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

So is the club saying (via the MFC website)... He's gone... but we're not saying he's gone, until we figure who his temp replacement will be? (CODE FOR: Press Conference around Lunch time tomorrow)

*Side note... Gary Ayres told the Port Melbourne boys last night he wouldn't be at training tonight (Monday) due to another commitment. I'll piss myself laughing if it's an interview for the gig and I missed the scoop of the year - very, very unlikely though.

I would like to see Melbourne keep Neeld, at least until the end of his contract.

Contracts used to mean something once. It meant that each party will meet their obligation FOR THE DURATION OF THE CONTRACT, not just abandon it when one party feels like it.

Keep Neeld, but tell him that, if he wants a contract in 2014, he must achieve the goal to have Melbourne competitive and touching or near finals (at least 8, or 9th because of percentage), and Neeld gets a new contract and more time. If his contract runs out at the end of 2014, and little and no improvement, tell him thanks but you have decided that it hasn' worked out and you want to go in a new direction, and you can let him go without having to pay him out.

It also seems that Neeld's sacking has become more personal than business. It seems that Neeld is not well-liked, but popularity shouldn't be the deciding criteria. Neeld hasn't delivered, so he may not be the right man, but his record, not his personality, should be an issue. It seems that many in the media are looking forward to seeing Neeld get sacked, and will keep chipping away until they get their man.

One question. If the coach is the reason for Melbourne's failure, then how come Melbourne players seem to have been near the bottom of the ladder and been thrashed many times under Neale Daniher, Dean Bailey and Mark Neeld? Maybe the real problem is the 22 out on the field each week.

Many inaccuracies in your post, but this was the most glaring one. His record IS the issue, clearly. 5 wins from 31 gmaes, 3 of those against GWS. Think our average losing margin is 60+. That sort of record is indefensible, even for a list as limited as ours. And especially considering that, he took over a team that won 8.5 games the previous year. Its gone backwards at a rate of knots.

7 News going with Neeld safe. Tee Hee, this is more like an election, calling results than anything else.

And ABC now going with Neeld safe.
Well that was a fun 20 minutes. All over now.

People you shouldn't, or won't get IMO:-

Mark Williams- shouldn't do it, as he is negative and polarising like Neeld was, and if the players sook about Neeld's negativity, they will with Williams as well. Besides, isn't it interesting that Williams was overlooked as next GWS coach?

Roos, Leigh Matthews etc- Too expensive, and don't want to jeapordise reputation. Besides Roos will leave when it becomes too tough, like he walked out on Fitzroy when they were dying.

Gary Ayres- Talk to what people at Geelong and Adelaide think of him. He was a divisive and undermining figure at both of these clubs, and the morale was at an all-time low at both of these clubs when he was there.

Matthew Knights- Doesn't want to go to another club where politics can end his tenure, and he is undermined at every turn. Is better off coaching Geelong VFL to flags.

Rodney Eade- Had all the facilities, support and list at Sydney, and yet couldn't win a flag with them. Had a good list at the Bulldogs, and couldn't take them to a GF or a flag. How could he take a team with lack of facilities, little support and a poor list to anywhere near a flag.

Dean Bailey:- Too negative. Has poor finals record, and was assistant coach at Port Adelaide via skype (showing he can't be bothered).

In a letter to Demons members and supporters on melbournefc.com.au, club president Don McLardy says:

"Our on-field performances have not met expectations this year and everyone in the football department continues to face ongoing assessment in their roles as do those employed in other areas of the club. The club will make no further comment at this time, in relation to the senior coach position."

McLardy also says interim CEO Peter Jackson has signed on in the role until the end of 2014.

Neelds safe. damn the media!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dean Bailey:- Too negative. Has poor finals record, and was assistant coach at Port Adelaide via skype (showing he can't be bothered).

Too negative, has poor finals record (never coached a final), also serving 16 week AFL imposed suspension for tanking while coaching us. Also sacked by us. But I agree, he might not be the right fit (again).

Saying it now. Not happy.

**** backing him, I want him gone still. Still reckon the Moo can't coach.

As do I but I can at least take some happiness from watching the footy media scramble about like a bunch of headless chooks only to be given absolutely nothing. * 'em.

Rodney Eade- Had all the facilities, support and list at Sydney, and yet couldn't win a flag with them. Had a good list at the Bulldogs, and couldn't take them to a GF or a flag. How could he take a team with lack of facilities, little support and a poor list to anywhere near a flag.

On Eade: He did get the Swans to a GF, and lost to arguably the team of the decade in that game so it wasn't as bad as it seems. Also at the Bulldogs was working on a tight budget and again was competing with very, very good sides for just a spot in a GF. Geelong, Collingwood and the Saints were all extremely good sides during that period, Hawthorn too for parts of it. Maybe he should have got more from the list he had, but he was against some very tough opposition.

Re Laidley (Bailey hasn't got a finals record!) wasn't he commuting to Adelaide/working via skype because he didn't want to move to Adelaide, and this was made clear to Port when they appointed him? I don't think it'd be an issue if he was working in Melbourne.

Many inaccuracies in your post, but this was the most glaring one. His record IS the issue, clearly. 5 wins from 31 gmaes, 3 of those against GWS. Think our average losing margin is 60+. That sort of record is indefensible, even for a list as limited as ours. And especially considering that, he took over a team that won 8.5 games the previous year. Its gone backwards at a rate of knots.

I am not saying that he shouldn't be sacked, because he obviously hasn't delivered. But the club had problems long before Neeld was there, and yet he is the scapegoat.

Neeld is not responsible that the club tanked, recruited spuds like Alastair Nicholson, or players being weak, self-entitled pricks. Is it Neeld's fault that Melbourne got Jack Watts instead of Nick Natiniau?
Did Neeld coach the club to the second-biggest losing margin in history (like Bailey did in 2011, five years into the job)? Is he responsible that Mitch Clark is injured?

Neeld had to clean up Bailey's mess, who stuffed up the club, and Neeld, because the media hate him, gets blamed for it.

Maybe the media are right to question Neeld's job, but they seem to be enjoying his failure a little too much for mine.

Too negative, has poor finals record (never coached a final), also serving 16 week AFL imposed for tanking while coaching us. Also sacked by us. But I agree, he might not be the right fit (again).

I meant to say Dean Laidley, the former North coach. But Bailey wasn't that great a coach either.

Keep Neeld, but tell him that, if he wants a contract in 2014, he must achieve the goal to have Melbourne competitive and touching or near finals (at least 8, or 9th because of percentage)

Hey!!! That's Richmond's spot... would have to be 8th or 10th

I am not saying that he shouldn't be sacked, because he obviously hasn't delivered. But the club had problems long before Neeld was there, and yet he is the scapegoat.

Neeld is not responsible that the club tanked, recruited spuds like Alastair Nicholson, or players being weak, self-entitled pricks. Is it Neeld's fault that Melbourne got Jack Watts instead of Nick Natiniau?
Did Neeld coach the club to the second-biggest losing margin in history (like Bailey did in 2011, five years into the job)? Is he responsible that Mitch Clark is injured?

Neeld had to clean up Bailey's mess, who stuffed up the club, and Neeld, because the media hate him, gets blamed for it.

Maybe the media are right to question Neeld's job, but they seem to be enjoying his failure a little too much for mine.

I'm sorry, I think your comments are genuine, but once again you're way off.

Noone is denying deep seeded problems at the club when Neeld took over. But he has actually turned over a good proportion of the list and made it worse. He's brought in a heap of discards from other clubs who wouldnt be on an AFL list otherwise, and actually "un-developed" players (like Watts, Trengove and a host of others) who played a lot better under Bailey.

Bailey was not the answer, and I'm not even going to bother comparing him to Neeld because they've both screwed up royally. Media doesnt hate Neeld, they're just flabbergated (as most supporters Melb and opposition) that not only is there no improvement, but rapid decline. Can't remember worse results under a new coach since Buckenara at Sydney - who was sacked in the middle of his second season, notably.

Mods please remove if seen as trolling because it certainly isn't intended to be .
Does anyone actually think Neeld's support staff are sufficient ?
Rawlings / Royal have poor records in clubs developing .
Craig although highly rated in the fitness and sports science fields , didn't develop to many players .

~
Mods please remove if seen as trolling because it certainly isn't intended to be .
Does anyone actually think Neeld's support staff are sufficient ?
Rawlings / Royal have poor records in clubs developing .
Craig although highly rated in the fitness and sports science fields , didn't develop to many players .
Can't disagree about Rawlings/Royal (though Rawlings is highly spoken of by the defenders in a way our other coaches aren't) but Craig is more of a "coaches coach" as far as I understand it.

I'm sorry, I think your comments are genuine, but once again you're way off.

Noone is denying deep seeded problems at the club when Neeld took over. But he has actually turned over a good proportion of the list and made it worse. He's brought in a heap of discards from other clubs who wouldnt be on an AFL list otherwise, and actually "un-developed" players (like Watts, Trengove and a host of others) who played a lot better under Bailey.

Bailey was not the answer, and I'm not even going to bother comparing him to Neeld because they've both screwed up royally. Media doesnt hate Neeld, they're just flabbergated (as most supporters Melb and opposition) that not only is there no improvement, but rapid decline. Can't remember worse results under a new coach since Buckenara at Sydney - who was sacked in the middle of his second season, notably.
Hi KG. The poster you're responding to is an absolute fool. He started a thread on our board yesterday which was promptly deleted by a mod. Don't engage him.

Back