Mega Thread Judgement Day has passed... "It is what it is", but what is it?

Will Neeld be coaching MFC on Queen's Birthday?

• Yes

Votes: 48 69.6%
  • No

Votes: 21 30.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd just like to point out how cute it is that everyone at The Age liked their own "who will replace Neeld now that he's been sacked" articles that they decided to run them today anyway, even though he hasn't been sacked.

I did think the same this morning. Jesse Hogan's (the journo one) article read like an obituary for someone that, inconveniently for them, was not dead.

I feel sorry for the guy after seeing him on the news last night waiting at traffic lights to leave the board meeting. The media are a pack of hypocritical *******s. They try bully weak(sorry for the term) clubs into making decisions that they are forcing, then when they make the decision they bag the club for making it.

From an outsiders point of view the biggest mistake Neeld has made is trying to implement the necessary(in his view) changes too quickly. He should have got a feel for the culture at the club and the personalities of the staff and players and seen which was the best way of handling the situation. I think Ken Hinkley went about it the right way, he knew if he got the senior players on side he would get the less experienced ones to follow.

My other small gripe with him is tactically or gameplan wise he should have just seen what his players strengths were and adapted his gameplan accordingly, and slowly changed them into what gameplan he wanted implemented. 1 preseason isnt long enough to see what players strengths and weaknesses were. Eg if he wanted MFC to be the hardest team to play against he should give each player defensive KPI's they needed to meet each game, while slowly teaching the players what he wanted from them new gameplan wise. Hawthorn under Clarko were a laughing stock for the first 2 seasons. He didnt care about outside influences and was happy to cop hidings as long as the players went in hard for the ball and man, while at the same time slowly teaching them how he wanted them to play.

A continuation from the above point is of those he recruited over the off season none come to mind that were hard players that were going to lead the way for the youngsters to follow. Some came from successful clubs but werent famous for being uncompromising footballers.

The best thing for the board to do is either sack him now or come out and say he will see out the year and we will re-evaluate at seasons end. Then the media can speculate all they want but it will be to no avail. But as a club to be going for your 3rd coach in 4 years is enough proof in my opinion that something more needs to change other than a coach.

M.Robinson_0312.jpg
artworks-000035327011-sq46pm-crop.jpg
That's Awesome! A Very nice find!

At the end of the day, there's a string of potentially winnable games for the Dees after the bye (although I don't like using the words 'winnable' and 'Dees' in the same sentence, as nothing seems winnable at the moment...). If we scratch out 3-4 wins against WB, St. K, GC and GWS and are competitive in the rest of the matches, then Neeld may be a chance to stay on in 2014. If we win some of these games, then we are probably where the club expected us to be in 2013. If we don't, then we're off the mark. And off the Mark. Heh...

Given the events yestarday, it's hard to see them swinging the axe now, or any time soon. Leave it go until the final few rounds, and assess the facts on the season, leaving hot-headed emotion out of it. If the change needs to be made, there will still be plenty of experienced coaches floating around in the market (unless other clubs start threatening to axe coaches..... but we seem to have that market covered this year).

However, every uncompetitive effort between now and the end of the year is a nail in Neeld's coffin, and you would think that one truly horrorible, uncompetitive blow out (of 186 proportions), between now and the end of the season, would be Game Over.

At the end of the day, there's a string of potentially winnable games for the Dees after the bye (although I don't like using the words 'winnable' and 'Dees' in the same sentence, as nothing seems winnable at the moment...). If we scratch out 3-4 wins against WB, St. K, GC and GWS and are competitive in the rest of the matches, then Neeld may be a chance to stay on in 2014. If we win some of these games, then we are probably where the club expected us to be in 2013. If we don't, then we're off the mark. And off the Mark. Heh...

Given the events yestarday, it's hard to see them swinging the axe now, or any time soon. Leave it go until the final few rounds, and assess the facts on the season, leaving hot-headed emotion out of it. If the change needs to be made, there will still be plenty of experienced coaches floating around in the market (unless other clubs start threatening to axe coaches..... but we seem to have that market covered this year).

However, every uncompetitive effort between now and the end of the year is a nail in Neeld's coffin, and you would think that one truly horrorible, uncompetitive blow out (of 186 proportions), between now and the end of the season, would be Game Over.

He bought a little time, but 100+ points or something against Collingwood would either be the end, or very close to it.

Blah blah blah. You morose mother*er! Seriously mate, just get behind the team for a week!

I'm behind the team every week.

Just not behind them on here?

Only behind the players?

Just not behind the men behind them?

It's round 10, year 2. Unfortunately it will take until the second half of the year to see much. But if we sack him now and throw it all out we will be in an unfixable bind I fear.

I think he should be given the opportunity to regroup after the bye - get Clark and Grimes back in, and play against some similar opposition.

Stay until seasons end, unless it becomes abundantly clear that him staying puts us in a position to lose talent.

Otherwise we get some serious coaching talent to support him at years end, along with other key FD positions.

I think he definitely should be given to season's end, or at least Round 19-20 ish.

Exactly as TPM puts it, let him regroup, get some of his preffered players back in the side and see if he has it in him to get the group fired up for a handfull of games against average sides.

One other thing about sacking neeld is you give players who spat the dummy and now are sulking an out like the tail wagging the dog kind of thing. The only other club ATM that might be looking for a coach will be the lions, so it's not like the years where 3-5 are looking for new coaches so the club gets to display unity and stability while showing players that we have employed a coach and we're behind him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Neeld can win four more games by seasons end I'll be happy for him to stay on provided there is a massive overhaul and restructuring of the footy dept.
I'm up for this. And the sacking of spoiled players.

One other thing about sacking neeld is you give players who spat the dummy and now are sulking an out like the tail wagging the dog kind of thing. The only other club ATM that might be looking for a coach will be the lions, so it's not like the years where 3-5 are looking for new coaches so the club gets to display unity and stability while showing players that we have employed a coach and we're behind him.

Do we know that players have really spat the dummy en masse? I'd say a fair bit of our being complete rubbish has to do with the weekly thrashings. It would be bloody demoralising getting flogged by 13 goals every week like we have been this season. In any case it's pointless sacking Neeld now. Let this review happen & see what comes out of it. If he's looking doomed at season's end we can start sounding out coaches

Do we know that players have really spat the dummy en masse? I'd say a fair bit of our being complete rubbish has to do with the weekly thrashings. It would be bloody demoralising getting flogged by 13 goals every week like we have been this season. In any case it's pointless sacking Neeld now. Let this review happen & see what comes out of it. If he's looking doomed at season's end we can start sounding out coaches

Even if its 2-3 players makes no difference. Once the board looks like bowing to players demands you technically have lst control of the club. Sacking coaches mid season in afl is pointless. In soccer you have relegation so you sometimes have to roll the dice but in afl it's better finishing last

The fact of the matter is, the players didn't buy into Bailey's gameplan well enough, and to a worse extent they didn't buy into Neelds. Get someone, with genuine experience who's done it at the top level, and done it well. Who can say to them, this is the way we're doing it, and this is gonna fu**ing work. Get some confidence, get some respect, go out there looking to win games, instead of going out on the ground looking for ways not to loose. Neeld's initial statement of 'simply wanting to coach the team hardest to play against in the AFL' was poorly worded. Just because you're the hardest, doesn't mean you're the best. It may win you games at Ocean Grove divi 3, but it's not good enough in the AFL. Striving to be the best, IS how you become the best. Roos, Mathews, Williams, Eade. 3 premiership coaches, 1 who did all he could with what he had, these are the men we want at our club, so these are the men we must get. That's the 'test' ahead of Peter Jackson, as for the next couple of months, they're merely time for study.

Even if its 2-3 players makes no difference. Once the board looks like bowing to players demands you technically have lst control of the club. Sacking coaches mid season in afl is pointless. In soccer you have relegation so you sometimes have to roll the dice but in afl it's better finishing last

I'm not saying he should be sacked right now. A review is under way & should be allowed to run its course & recommendations implemented. There is also a difference between giving in to player power & listening to the players. Something the club maybe should have done when the previous external review pointed the finger at cuddles & Schwab for meddling.

Back