Mega Thread - JUDGMENT -Essendon/Hird v ASADA Trial: Investigation legal (club/ASADA/AFL/AFLPA/WADA statements) | BigFooty

Mega Thread JUDGMENT -Essendon/Hird v ASADA Trial: Investigation legal (club/ASADA/AFL/AFLPA/WADA statements)

Discussion in 'ASADA, WADA, and Drugs in Sport' started by The_Wookie, Sep 19, 2014.

1. The_Wookie

The_Wookie Queenslander

Carlton
    Chris Kaias @ChrisKaias · 1h
    • Much smaller courtroom today, filling up already
    • The Ess contingent have arrived in court
    • Standing room only now
    • Court officer confirms that judgment will be available online soon after
    • Nervous silence now. Expected in 2 mins
    • Dank just walked in the courtroom
    • Middleton has arrived. Here we go
    • Middleton will publish his written reasons and read an extract
    • Middleton: investigation may be referred to as a joint investigation but the label is of little relevance
    • Middleton: must consider nature purpose and conduct of proceedings themselves
    • Middleton: ASADA has important national and international functions to perform
    • Middleton: ASADA and AFL may need to act jointly, however statutory authorities must act within law
    • Middleton: no relief is sought against the AFL
    • Middleton: no contention that the AFL's powers were illegal or unenforceable or unconscionable
    • Middleton: the 34 players are not parties, they have a significant interest
    • Middleton: the only witness who was impugned was Andruska
    • Middleton: does not consider Essendons criticisms of Andruska can be sustained. Ms Andruska was a credible witness.
    • Middleton: Ms Andruska thought carefully about her answers. I would have expected her to be careful about this
    • Middleton: it was apparent she relied on her staff. As CEO she was entitled to delegate to her staff
    • Middleton: these proceedings do not involve a broad and general inquiry as to the general conduct of the investigation
    • Middleton: Andruska was under pressure from AFL and government. However no dereliction of her responsibilities
    • Middleton: ministerial direction outside the Act would normally be seen as forbidden
    • Middleton: I conclude that by 1 Feb ASADA and AFL to investigate Ess and use AFLs powers
    • Middleton: ASADA would have investigated even without invitation by the club
    • Middleton: ASADA would have investigated Ess even without the AFLs compulsory powers
    • Middleton: Ess and Hird and players cooperated because of contractual obligations to do so
    • Middleton: Hird and players were represented at all times and did not claim right against self incrimination
    • Middleton: information provided in interviews was simultaneously disclosed to both ASADA and the AFL
    • Middleton: the investigation required coordination between ASADA and the AFL on matters of procedure and machinery
    • Middleton: ASADA benefitted from cooperation of AFL with use of formal powers to acquire evidence and arrange interviews
    • Middleton: ASADA and the AFL had different but related purposes
    • Middleton: the investigation undertaken by ASADA resulted in both ASADA and AFL making separate decisions within their own area of resp
    • Middleton: report provided with the knowledge it would be provided to AFL knowing they would use for disciplinary proceedings
    • Middleton now generally describing judicial review. Purpose is to ensure the legality of government action rather than its correctness
    • Middleton: ASADA had power to request information however direct or implied power required to force someone to provide information
    • Middleton: the nature and conduct of the investigation was lawful
    • Middleton: once appreciated that AFL received information directly and not from ASADA then the protections did not apply
    • Middleton: there was no disclosure of information from ASADA to the AFL in the interviews
    • Middleton: the desire to use or harness AFLs powers can immediately be accepted as a consideration for using AFLs powers
    • Middleton:hird and players could have refused to answer and breached their contractual obligations. Whether they felt forced is not to point
    • Middleton: signing up to the AFLs agreement is subject to giving up certain rights
    • Middleton: no suggestion that Hird and players did not understand the rights they were giving up to play or coach AFL
    • Middleton: no power of the state has been utilised by ASADA to compel
    • Middleton: report was provided to the AFL for the purposes of the investigation and connected to the investigation
    • Middleton: the Investigation disclosed strong link between governance practices and anti doping issues at Essendon
    • Middleton: the poor governance was related to possible anti doping violations to the extent violations may have been systemic.
    • Middleton: I dismiss the applications
    • Middleton: if I had found otherwise, issues would have arose around discretion of relief
    • Middleton: in these proceedings I would not have declined to set aside the show cause notice. But futility may have denied relief
    • Middleton:the court would not have framed an order preventing investigation,even if it involved using derivatives of illegally obtained info
    • Middleton: final observation about interim report, interim report was provided in August and no proceedings were brought at that point
    • Middleton: ASADA complied with the rule of law. ASADA lawfully provided the interim report to the AFL. Applications dismissed.
    • Middleton: Essendon and Hird to pay costs
    Chris Kaias ‏@ChrisKaias
    Confused by the whole Essendon/ASADA process? I've written a guide to what might come next on the Social Litigator - http://t.co/cwPwM5oifr

‏@ChrisKaias
    Here is the full judgment - http://t.co/wakcCcKAVR

Chris Kaias ‏@ChrisKaias now
    It is an enormous 500-paragraph judgment. Incredible considering the short turnaround.

Club Statement

Patrick Keane ‏@AFL_PKeane 15m

ASADA statement on Federal Court Judgement

Statement from AFL Players' Association

WADA Statement on joint ASADA/AFL Investigation

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
    GOAUS!, LCynic, ChrisKaias and 16 others like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. The_Wookie

The_Wookie Queenslander

Carlton
    GOAUS!, Ant_, BLUES crusade and 3 others like this.
  3. The_Wookie

The_Wookie Queenslander

Carlton
    Probably my biggest surprise was his finding on Andruska. If anything turns on that later, it is NOT something that can be doubted on appeal

The trial judge is given the benefit of the doubt when it comes to assessing credibility of witnesses

sharp450 likes this.
  4. mottrain

mottrain Suspended

Geelong
    Hirds essendon female barrister just left walking in a tense hurried manner.

Obeanie1, Bazzar and BLUES crusade like this.
  5. mottrain

mottrain Suspended

Geelong
    This really took everyone by surprise in the room and a lot sort of sensed he was gone then.

6. The_Wookie

The_Wookie Queenslander

Carlton
    Richard Ings @ringsau · 20m
    So show cause notices stand: Next? Players get chance to respond ADRVP determine any RoF AAT appeals AFL issues infractions AFL tribunal CAS

7. Wooljay

Wooljay Norm Smith Medallist

Collingwood
    Other Teams:
    Arsenal
    Can anyone tell me if Tanya was taking notes?

Could be important.

Lord Eddard, Suit, Grin and 27 others like this.
  8. tigers_of_old_08

tigers_of_old_08 Norm Smith Medallist

Richmond
    Other Teams:
    RICHMOND
    Hird's bitten the hand that feeds him - many times now.

His actions demonstrate that he has no shame, no respect for the game nor any sense of loyalty except to himself. His ego is destroying any credibility he's got left and dragging the EFC with him.

Surely the Essendon board wont allow this to go on!

And I don't know how Hird's Wiki page is managing to keep up with the updates. :cool:

9. tigerwill

tigerwill Premiership Player

Richmond
    Dropped her biro when Middleton said Hird & Essendon had to pay the respondents costs as well as their own.

10. passmark

passmark Brownlow Medallist

Carlton
    Rohan Connolly still drinking from the Kool Aid fountain.

11. Chadwiko

Chadwiko Captain Awesome

North Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Washington Redskins, Boston Celtics
    The first of two big wins for BF North Supporters today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. thecotch

thecotch Premiership Player

Richmond
    Watch out for Tania going mental in another interview!!! Bring out the popcorn!!

13. Blues_Man

Blues_Man Brownlow Medallist

Carlton
    I hope ASADA reconsider any deal they were about to offer ...and now go for the Jugular, Essendon took their chance and failed dismally, now they should pay the consequences.

Kristof, alchemy333, b0ydman and 12 others like this.
  14. HR Roughnstuf

HR Roughnstuf Norm Smith Medallist

Hawthorn
  15. base615

base615 Premiership Player

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Tottenham Hotspur, Chicago Bears
    I want to hear Barkly St. End's discussion of it.

16. thecotch

Richmond
    I think Little is just as culpable. This will send the club to the wall financially if they continue with pointless court action. The decision today was emphatic.

17. Carlo

Carlo Club Legend

Essendon
    So at least 35 days until SCN could be heard?

18. thecotch

Richmond
    I think we may find all bets are off. Essendon's future now hangs by a thread.

19. sharp450

sharp450 All Australian

Melbourne
    Not for long i reckon Jimmy Boy

"And when the truth comes out, I think I'll be in a very, very good position, and so will this football club.

"I'm the coach of the Essendon football club"

[​IMG]

20. Bluesince62

Bluesince62 Club Legend

Carlton
    Other Teams:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers WADA ASADA
    Middleton didn't miss anyone on the way through. King hits all the way through EFC and an appeal looks very unlikely unless EFC/Hird want to burn another million.

Lawyers will be saying we think there are good grounds to appeal (kid's school fees need paying soon) and I am sure that is what Little will say but not act on. Player's managers will be contacting ASADA this afternoon requesting meetings to discuss penalties. Would not be surprised to see someone taking 6 months as early as next week.

We are at the beginning of the end

alchemy333, Egga, Tiger2709 and 9 others like this.
  21. BG32

BG32 Premium Platinum

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Goooooone! we will take Dyson Heppell and Tom Bellchambers thanks

22. SM

SM Bigfooty Legend

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Hull City, Adelaide United, GW
    Shit just got real.

LanceRomance likes this.
  23. Wooljay

Wooljay Norm Smith Medallist

Collingwood
    Other Teams:
    Arsenal
    Justice Middleton:

[​IMG]

rawm, Stewart66, alchemy333 and 45 others like this.
  24. thecotch

Richmond
    Epic fail.

Egga and sharp450 like this.
  25. SM

SM Bigfooty Legend

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Hull City, Adelaide United, GW
    We'll take Ryder.

Turnsole likes this.