Julian Edelman drug ftw

Different sports - different attitudes. PED's let you work/train harder. From the Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...ded-it-super-bowl-mvp/?utm_term=.547332a6dc2b

....... “I’m getting to live out a dream, so it’s pretty surreal right now,” Edelman said. “I think everything happens for a reason. I was always taught as a young boy that you always just have to work hard. Work as hard as you can, put in the extra time and we will see where it goes.”

Change the sport, or alter the perspective of the fan base, and Edelman’s hard-work sentiment would elicit dubious eye-rolls, if not outright scorn. The NFL suspended Edelman the first four games of this season for using a performance-enhancing substance. Edelman, who was rehabbing from knee surgery last year after tearing his ACL in the preseason, admitted to the offense, telling reporters during training camp, “I’m definitely accountable for that.”

The performance-enhancing drug suspension has been largely (but not entirely) absent in the discussion of Edelman’s excellence and, in some corners, his long-shot Hall of Fame candidacy. Try to imagine the difference in tone if theoretically a World Series MVP had been popped for PEDs and missed 40 games. It’s not even possible — MLB players busted during the season can’t play in the postseason. Baseball drug cheats are met with pitchforks. Football drug cheats are met with shrugs. They aren’t even really considered cheats.

Or consider the way those busted for drug offenses are treated at the Olympics. Every Russian in PyeongChang last year was booed. At the 2016 Rio Olympics, American sprinter Justin Gatlin, who had once been banned two years for taking amphetamines, was jeered every time his name was announced.

In Atlanta, the only reason anybody regarded Edelman as a villain is because he played for the Patriots.......
https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...ded-it-super-bowl-mvp/?utm_term=.547332a6dc2b

Any idea what substance he got done for?
An anabolic agent

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...e-quirk-in-julian-edelmans-positive-ped-test/
At first blush, the report that Patriots receiver Julian Edelman‘s positive PED test was “triggered by a substance that wasn’t immediately recognizable” created an opening for thinking that the NFL has yet to conclude that Edelman took a banned substance, and that the NFL ultimately may conclude that he didn’t. Closer inspection of the PED policy paints a different picture.

There’s no provision in the PED policy that transforms a “substance that wasn’t immediately recognizable” into a positive result. Instead, a four-game suspension arises from a positive test for an anabolic agent that comes from the laundry list of 71 specific substances or that falls within the potentially broad catch-all of “other substances with a similar chemical structure and similar biological effect(s).”

That’s the more likely (and likely more accurate) description of the situation. It’s not that Edelman’s urine sample showed the presence of some substance that medical science is incapable of identifying; it’s that the sample had a substance with “a similar chemical structure and similar biological effect(s)” as one of the 71 specific anabolic agents listed in the PED policy.

Whatever it was, it presumably showed up in both the “A” bottle and “B” bottle, which are created when the urine sample is split into two separate samples, in order to allow for two separate tests. And even if the NFL’s medical experts haven’t specifically fit the substance within any of the 71 anabolic agents listed in the policy, it wouldn’t have been a positive test unless the unrecognized substance has “a similar chemical structure and similar biological effect(s)” to an anabolic agent.

Logic points to an anabolic agent because of the length of the suspension (a positive test for a masking agent or similar substance triggers only a two-game suspension), and because stimulants don’t fall under the PED policy in the offseason. Common sense points to the reality that if the NFL truly had no idea what the substance was, the outcome wouldn’t have been a positive test — because the PED policy does not contemplate any discipline for a player based simply upon the fact that there’s something in the urine that can’t be identified.....

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...e-quirk-in-julian-edelmans-positive-ped-test/

blackcat

Irving's godfather and handle
Dec 29, 2003
Beverly Hills 90210 Antifa bracket
AFL Club
Richmond
A quick google search says "unknown PEDs"

Some more detailed searching of bodybuilding forums and such might have more detailed rumours; I'd assume given he was coming back from an ACL it might be something like HGH or Steroids to aid muscle recovery / growth?
gh peptide. would be my suspicion. i echoe owen87's intuition. all are on it. hipsters in inner city are on it. they will give a mealy mouthed response like BCAA's branch chain amino acids. remember dank saying "oh, just amino acids" :cool:

show me one person in nba and nfl who is not on it.

Julian Edelman's footwork puts Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor to _S_H_A_M_E_ !!! :eek:

RussellEbertHandball

At least the MLB has more reasonable penalties - Half a season for a first offence, a second offence is one season and life for a third offence - The NBA are more in line with MLB, while from memory the NHL is somewhere in the middle.

gh peptide. would be my suspicion. i echoe owen87's intuition. all are on it. hipsters in inner city are on it. they will give a mealy mouthed response like BCAA's branch chain amino acids. remember dank saying "oh, just amino acids" :cool:

show me one person in nba and nfl who is not on it.

Julian Edelman's footwork puts Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor to _S_H_A_M_E_ !!! :eek:

RussellEbertHandball
Connor McGregor's footwork wasn't that good in that big fight in October.

At least the MLB has more reasonable penalties - Half a season for a first offence, a second offence is one season and life for a third offence - The NBA are more in line with MLB, while from memory the NHL is somewhere in the middle.

You can only be tested 4 times a season in NBA, but I believe that changes in Olympic years. Frankly the suspicious part of me reckons the superstars get their 4 tests done pretty early in the season...

You can only be tested 4 times a season in NBA, but I believe that changes in Olympic years. Frankly the suspicious part of me reckons the superstars get their 4 tests done pretty early in the season...

That's not unreasonable when athletes in some sports are lucky to have one test per year - NBA is different to Olympic sports in which athletes may be tested by their NADO, other NADO's if competing overseas, their peak National Olympic Committee or their Peak World Federation.

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
I've got no problems with people choosing to take drugs - your body, your choice..

I have a problem with people deliberately cheating in a sporting contest. What's the point? It's a game. What do you get by proving you can cheat better than anyone else? (I know - money and fame).

BTW - did anybody see the Austrian skier busted yesterday? They didn't get him via a blood tests - when they entered his room, they caught him with a needle in his arm.
MaxHaukeDopingRaid.jpg

Back