Juliet Haslam steps down as Port's Head of AFLW

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
We're clearly putting a strong emphasis on women leading our women's programme which is commendable and will probably be industry leading. I assume Haslam will be a key part of the coach selection process so looking forward to seeing who that turns up.

I do wonder if we will approach Lisa Alexander for the position. She's applied for a few of the men's senior coach positions but been turned down. Wouldn't be opposed if we went after someone of her ilk. Can be said that she has no experience in professional football, but given that the women's comp is is its infancy, the amount of people with any sort of "experience" is going to be extremely limited to begin with.

I do wonder if we will approach Lisa Alexander for the position. She's applied for a few of the men's senior coach positions but been turned down. Wouldn't be opposed if we went after someone of her ilk. Can be said that she has no experience in professional football, but given that the women's comp is is its infancy, the amount of people with any sort of "experience" is going to be extremely limited to begin with.

Yeah it's interesting. Football experience v general sport experience at this stage of the AFLW's development. We've gone for general sport experience with our head of football so it's not beyond the realms of possibility we do the same with the senior coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 8, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide (SANFL)
We've gone with the all teal logo and black and teal polos...way to go PAFC

When will this club ever learn?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Great first up appointment for our AFLW program. A former elite athlete, dual gold medal winner, won multiple world cups and other championships, named in the national women's hockey team of the century and involved in sports administration, on the board of a few sporting bodies and a corporate career in marketing, is a fair resume.

She can talk elite standards with the best of them and having been coached by Ric Charlesworth for almost a decade, will understand sports psychology and driving a program hard.

And she is Port Adelaide royalty!

Got to meet Juliet at the Hockeyroos gold medal celebrations at the Sydney Olympics. A mate from my Adelaide Uni footy club days was going out with fellow hockeyroo Alison Peek at the time, and about 6 of us who all played footy with him and were living in Sydney, caught up with them both over the two weeks and he got us all into the after party.

One of those mates, D_One who used to post on here, went to school with Andrew Obst so I got an introduction to him as well. The party was at the Lidcombe RSL about 3km from Sydney Olympic Park. Got there around midnight, party was in full swing, RSL kicked us out at 3am and about 100 of us went on other side of the train tracks to the Lidcombe Hotel. I remember saying my goodbyes to Juliet, Andrew and Alison Peake and a couple of my mates who stayed on, at about 8.30am as I had a ticket to 6 boxing gold medal finals to watch at midday, and needed some sleep first.

About 3/4 of the Hockeyroos were still there when I left. They knew how to party hard, after Charlesworth drove them bloody hard for 4 years to go back to back gold medalists, so I suspect Juliet will bring some of that fun spirit to the players and staff involved, as well as the serious stuff.

Last edited:
I knew ex hockey journalist Rucci would get Haslam onto his show. Pretty sure he was News Ltd's hockey correspondent ( not just the 'Tiser's) at 3 or 4 Olympics as well as the World Cups in the 90's and 00's.

Just remembered that Cornes did a Conversation with Juliet Haslam 3 years ago, and I listened to the podcast a few months later.

Edit with about 5 minutes to go at 39.30 she starts talking about what she is doing - ie in November 2018 - had recently resigned from the corporate world and decided to get back into her passion, sports, a few things in the pipeline and she had just taken up a job with the AIS - their Gold Medal Ready Program getting athletes ready for Tokyo. In her presser she said she is still doing work with the AIS and when she finishes up there in December, she starts full time at Port. Cornes says, "it's been an unbelievable career, ......I'm sure there's lots more to play out, ..... I'm sure there's still going to be more we hear about Juliet Haslam."

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back