Status
Not open for further replies.

Demontim275

Club Legend
Sep 13, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Sure but if Adkins died or paralyzed was Bowman going to get life? No
Taking it to the most extreme to justify an under suspension? Logical fallacy mate.

he get less than even the generous ones in here thought (although I think you didn’t think he should get much from memory)

although I’d be happy for a jockey to be stood down permanently if his negligence (or decisions) killed another jockey, not sure that’s such a bad thing. You’d be up for much worse in most other industries.

Taking it to the most extreme to justify an under suspension? Logical fallacy mate.

he get less than even the generous ones in here thought (although I think you didn’t think he should get much from memory)

although I’d be happy for a jockey to be stood down permanently if his negligence (or decisions) killed another jockey, not sure that’s such a bad thing. You’d be up for much worse in most other industries.

They said it was careless - not even dangerous or reckless so under that designation he was never going to get the penalty you are looking for. It's a dangerous game and falls happen all the time.

As some of us said on the day you would see worse many times but it wouldn't get as much press as no horses came down.

Chris Whiteley got two months for not giving his horse every chance
Huge Bowman gets 6 weeks for killing a horse and seriously endangering a jockey

Totally unacceptable

Bowman was trying everything possible to win and as a result happened to generate the consequences you describe, perhaps through limited fault of his own.

Not giving a horse every chance is arguably a more serious offence in a sport that largely revolves around wagering.

Demontim275

Club Legend
Sep 13, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
They said it was careless - not even dangerous or reckless so under that designation he was never going to get the penalty you are looking for. It's a dangerous game and falls happen all the time.

As some of us said on the day you would see worse many times but it wouldn't get as much press as no horses came down.
It’s really no different to the AFL suspensions. They can manufacture whatever result they want.

their gradings are all subjective, if they want to go hard, they can justify it. If they want to be soft, they can justify it.

Bowman was trying everything possible to win and as a result happened to generate the consequences you describe, perhaps through limited fault of his own.

Not giving a horse every chance is arguably a more serious offence in a sport that largely revolves around wagering.
I’d suggest you hold different values to most.
Other than those who run racing, I don’t think anyone would say tanking is worse than causing serious harm to another person

It’s really no different to the AFL suspensions. They can manufacture whatever result they want.

their gradings are all subjective, if they want to go hard, they can justify it. If they want to be soft, they can justify it.

I’d suggest you hold different values to most.
Other than those who run racing, I don’t think anyone would say tanking is worse than causing serious harm to another person

Tanking in racing is FAR FAR worse than causing accidental harm to another person.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Demontim275

Club Legend
Sep 13, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Tanking in racing is FAR FAR worse than causing accidental harm to another person.
I disagree completely.

As I said, I doubt you’ll find too many people who agree that a rider not taking every chance, is worse than a rider carelessly causing serious injury

Demontim275

Club Legend
Sep 13, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Bingo. Tanking in racing means racing no longer exists.

Not a statement I’ve said many times before...but NSW stewards have got one right.
No one is suggesting that tanking go unpunished.

that’s hyperbole anyway. AFL teams have been investigated and fined for tanking (or not tanking but doing something exactly like tanking that the AFL won’t call tanking) and nothing came of it.

Harness racing is constantly being accused of it.

Demontim275

Club Legend
Sep 13, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Two wrongs don’t make a right. Joke of a decision. Wasn’t “careless” in any way shape or form. Was completely reckless.
Going back a fair way to find a decision to justify it too.

Apparently the locker room wasn’t great towards bowman after. Jockeys are vengeful shits apparently.

Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Everton
No one is suggesting that tanking go unpunished.

that’s hyperbole anyway. AFL teams have been investigated and fined for tanking (or not tanking but doing something exactly like tanking that the AFL won’t call tanking) and nothing came of it.

Harness racing is constantly being accused of it.
AFL teams survive on spectators and tv viewers. Racing survives and exists for one thing, wagering.

Stewards have dished out a punishment in line with exactly what they’ve done in the past. I’m not really sure what people were expecting to happen here.

I disagree completely.

As I said, I doubt you’ll find too many people who agree that a rider not taking every chance, is worse than a rider carelessly causing serious injury

The people making those kind of calls don't understand the game properly.

Two wrongs don’t make a right. Joke of a decision. Wasn’t “careless” in any way shape or form. Was completely reckless.

Well the Stewards obvioiusly disagree - hence the length of the suspension

I wonder if there was a bit of a quid pro quo going on here too. Bowman could have easily come out and said Racing NSW have been preparing unsafe tracks (i.e. exceptionally biased) for months. We all knew the inside was slow and the only way I could give my horse the best possible chance of winning was to look to the outside.

Demontim275

Club Legend
Sep 13, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
AFL teams survive on spectators and tv viewers. Racing survives and exists for one thing, wagering.

Stewards have dished out a punishment in line with exactly what they’ve done in the past. I’m not really sure what people were expecting to happen here.
And AFL had the same things said at the time of the tanking claims
The industries going to shut down! They’ll lose their gaming licence! Betting agencies will sue!

it’s hyperbole.

The people making those kind of calls don't understand the game properly.
Having a different set of morals doesn’t mean they don’t understand “the game”. It just means you value the money of the industry over damage to person. And others don’t.
Well the Stewards obvioiusly disagree - hence the length of the suspension
Appeal to authority fallacy.

And AFL had the same things said at the time of the tanking claims
The industries going to shut down! They’ll lose their gaming licence! Betting agencies will sue!

it’s hyperbole.

Having a different set of morals doesn’t mean they don’t understand “the game”. It just means you value the money of the industry over damage to person. And others don’t.

Appeal to authority fallacy.

The fact you are comparing tanking in the AFL to tanking in horse racing suggests to me you don't understand the latter sufficiently to comment.

IKnowtheDog

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Already been a few July foals, just as well they changed the rules a few years ago otherwise they’d be costly new births

Demontim275

Club Legend
Sep 13, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
The fact you are comparing tanking in the AFL to tanking in horse racing suggests to me you don't understand the latter sufficiently to comment.
I’ve probably had more experience in the industry than you. So don’t be a condescending twat

The exact same s**t was said about the afl (as I’ve said 3 times now). That tanking would kill the sport, it would lose all its gaming income, betting companies would go after it.

it’s trash. Hyperbole from people who speak to extremes.

being some mug punter doesn’t give you authority. And you claiming that you’re right and that everyone else is wrong (on a subjective matter) is laughable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back