Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

will be interesting to see what Hawks wear against the Crows in Rnd 1 next year in Adelaide

If they are Gold & Brown, well I damn sure want to see the home jumper on the Crows the next time we play them in Melbourne

Hawks' gold jumper will look fine against Adelaide.
And against GWS will be just like...didn't Brisbane wear clash vs the Giants this year? And it was better contrast than expected.

Adelaide vs Hawks was never an issue until some idiot decided they clashed despite the fact for the first 10 years of the Crows existence, such Clash never existed.

Hawks in home jumper / white shorts for Crows home games isn't an issue. Crows usually wear their clash vs Hawks by choice (or because afformentioned idiot is still employed by AFL house) and that isn't an issue either. Looks better than Crows wearing white shorts with their home kit.

only see that in showdowns these days (which annoys me Crows and Port should definitely wear their clash strips against each other)

Yeah this is annoying. Can't imagine it's great for people sitting at top of the grand stands. Would really feel like a home game for the home supporters too with the other side in white.

Adelaide vs Hawks was never an issue until some idiot decided they clashed despite the fact for the first 10 years of the Crows existence, such Clash never existed.

Hawks in home jumper / white shorts for Crows home games isn't an issue. Crows usually wear their clash vs Hawks by choice (or because afformentioned idiot is still employed by AFL house) and that isn't an issue either. Looks better than Crows wearing white shorts with their home kit.

AFL dictates Adelaide wear clash away vs Hawthorn. Last time Adelaide wore its home jumper with white shorts away vs Hawthorn was in 2008, still don’t see the clash. Rather wear the home jumper away any chance we get!
0336fb65b23ce4828bf5814ef69c36b9.png

Last time Hawthorn wore their home jumper away vs Adelaide was in 2007.
f1d57c8e2580b794a078e016743a05a5.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
There was a time we never wore white shorts either

I’m going with the brown and gold, with two versions of the indigenous design, one on gold and one on brown.

Should cover off all requirements

I recently saw a Youtube video of part of a 1989 match at Carrara between the Brisbane Bears and Hawthorn, and the Bears were wearing their gold jumper with the maroon BB insignia, number and trimmings, and Hawthorn their yellow jumper with brown stripes and number.

Aside from the Hawks' yellow socks and the Bears' maroon socks, this was one of the worst jumper clashes ever.
This the one?

Edit: sorry, just realised this was at VFL Park. Still a pretty bad clash.

Didn't Hawthorn make some sort of deal with the VFL that they could always wear brown shorts, but in return they had to have yellow socks (no brown hoops) and no brown stripes on the back of the guernsey? Hawks fans?

Yes. Chicken legs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This the one?

Edit: sorry, just realised this was at VFL Park. Still a pretty bad clash.

That game played in Melbourne is a shocker for clashing jumpers, but in the return match late in the season at Carrara both the Bears and Hawks are wearing primarily gold jumpers. It didn't seem to bother the Bears, who upset the Hawks for only one of three Brisbane victories over Hawthorn in the Bears' decade-long tenure.

Why did it never seem a problem watching North v Collingwood on black & white tellys playing in the mud at Arden St & Vic Park in the 1960's early 70's?
It never seemed a problem not being able to pay for things without physial cash back then either, then we found a better way.

Why did it never seem a problem watching North v Collingwood on black & white tellys playing in the mud at Arden St & Vic Park in the 1960's early 70's?

People were less demanding then?
north.jpg

Shorts would be the only way you could tell the teams apart, using one of the smallest areas of the playing uniform to differentiate isn't the best way to go about it.

This was the days before sponsor logos as well.

The old woolen jumpers (when not covered in mud) were easier to tell apart than the new polyester ones because they aren't as shiny.

The worst thing about clash jumpers is that for an 18 team comp there are probably 40 or 50 jumper designs floating around and we're not really any better off than if every club just had one.

back then hardly any games were televised so only the crowds at the grounds themselves watched (and that would have been what, 15-35k at most outside of finals).
and I bet there would have been some mutterings from the crowd saying "by golly I do find it hard to tell who is who when we play this mob"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back