Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond in yellow against Essendon. :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:
Chatting with my Tiger supporting mates about this at the match last - we think we actually get more free kicks when we're wearing the yellow then the black. Nothing more than anecdotal, and it would mean we're generally the "away" team and possibly travelling, but the umps seem to notice infringements on our yellow players a little more. There was a run of five free kicks we got at one stage at the start of the third quarter last night, none of which we'd probably normally get. Go figure.

Eddie saying earlier in the week it’s great to see Carlton in the Navy Blue and Collingwood in the stripes. It’s their home game. Yeah you and your club caused a clash, this is how it should always be.
The sad thing is that this kind of old VFL nonsense is exactly why clash jumpers don't get worn when they should, because big Victorian clubs are somehow above that sort of thing. I'm astounded that the AFL go along for the ride

Who is ready for 2019 jumper bullshit again?

53c91aa70f2db2c055db3dc6bd734b03

GettyImages-1172728810-696x476.jpg

I'm willing to give Geelong the benefit of the doubt that it was an isolated act of stupidity and they won't do it again even if it's only to avoid the potential for 'well again Geelong won the battle of the shorts, shame about the actual game though' ridicule if they lose. They didn't do it in 2020 as the higher ranked team.

I'm willing to give Port the Prison Bars/Pylons if they give up the number panel, who is with me?

EDIT: Sit down Collingwood. No one wants to hear it.

View attachment 1462986

View attachment 1462987
These jumpers for Port look great but you've added extra stripes to the Collingwood version, making them more similar to Port. The predominantly black Pies guernsey has a white stripe in the middle and one each to the left and right. The predominantly white version is in the inverse with the black stripe in the centre.

These jumpers for Port look great but you've added extra stripes to the Collingwood version, making them more similar to Port. The predominantly black Pies guernsey has a white stripe in the middle and one each to the left and right. The predominantly white version is in the inverse with the black stripe in the centre.
The Collingwood peeps wanted the stripes like that so that the middle stripe was black on the home.

Personally I think Adidas got the vertical stripe jumpers perfect with just 3 stripes front and back. The Collingwood women's jumper is better than the men's because the stripes aren't stretched out as much leaving the sides the solid base colour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm willing to give Geelong the benefit of the doubt that it was an isolated act of stupidity and they won't do it again even if it's only to avoid the potential for 'well again Geelong won the battle of the shorts, shame about the actual game though' ridicule if they lose. They didn't do it in 2020 as the higher ranked team.

It’s not Geelong’s call, nor is it their fault. The AFL instructs both teams what to wear for every game. Failure by any player to dress as directed earns the club a $5000 fine… so $115k for a matchday squad.

Since that was introduced, no club has ever contravened it. Carlton came close in 2014 when club officials accidentally sent players out to warm up in blue shorts instead of the directed white… they avoided a fine however with a last minute change.

It’s totally the AFL’s call and if there’s a clash it’s the AFL’s fault, not either club. Clubs have never failed to wear what was directed.

It’s not Geelong’s call, nor is it their fault. The AFL instructs both teams what to wear for every game. Failure by any player to dress as directed earns the club a $5000 fine… so $115k for a matchday squad.

Since that was introduced, no club has ever contravened it. Carlton came close in 2014 when club officials accidentally sent players out to warm up in blue shorts instead of the directed white… they avoided a fine however with a last minute change.

It’s totally the AFL’s call and if there’s a clash it’s the AFL’s fault, not either club. Clubs have never failed to wear what was directed.

That makes it sound better for Geelong and we've had this discussion before in this thread, but is there some official document accessible that backs this up?

I'm sure what you're saying is true to an extent, but I just can't see for the life of me why it would have been the AFL back in the 2019 QF that was saying "OK, we're flipping it from what we've been doing consistently for 15+ years: Geelong in home jumper/navy shorts; Pies in home jumper/white shorts". Surely Geelong played a role there?

I can't see what would be in it for the AFL for Essendon and Carlton to consistently wear their clash jumpers in away games against teams like Adelaide and Fremantle, but to never wear their clash jumpers against Collingwood. I see what's in it for those clubs in those situations (stupid as it clearly is) but why the hell would the AFL instigate these obvious inconsistencies with the policy?

My suspicion from what you've said is the process goes something like: AFL asks home club if it wants to wear anything different from its traditional home strip for the game, then asks the away team what it intends to wear and then says 'yes' to both, or 'no' to one or both (generally the away team) with instructions of what it must wear for the game.

And my suspicion is that for some unclear reason the laggers from the 'Big 4' have some strange influence (and I'm sure Collingwood would be every bit as bad if they didn't have the luxury of a pretty effective clash that still looks almost the same as its home kit) over the implementation of this policy.

If the Big 4 just wore their clashes against each other, like they do against, say St Kilda, their supporters would get over it after the first time it happened.

Last edited:
That makes it sound better for Geelong and we've had this discussion before in this thread, but is there some official document accessible that backs this up?

I'm sure what you're saying is true to an extent, but I just can't see for the life of me why it would have been the AFL back in the 2019 QF that was saying "OK, we're flipping it from what we've been doing consistently for 15+ years: Geelong in home jumper/navy shorts; Pies in home jumper/white shorts". Surely Geelong played a role there?

I can't see what would be in it for the AFL for Essendon and Carlton to consistently wear their clash jumpers in away games against teams like Adelaide and Fremantle, but to never wear their clash jumpers against Collingwood. I see what's in it for those clubs in those situations (stupid as it clearly is) but why the hell would the AFL instigate these obvious inconsistencies with the policy?

My suspicion from what you've said is the process goes something like: AFL asks home club if it wants to wear anything different from its traditional home strip for the game, then asks the away team what it intends to wear and then says 'yes' to both, or 'no' to one or both (generally the away team) with instructions of what it must wear for the game.

And my suspicion is that for some unclear reason the laggers from the 'Big 4' have some strange influence (and I'm sure Collingwood would be every bit as bad if they didn't have the luxury of a pretty effective clash that still looks almost the same as its home kit) over the implementation of this policy.

If the Big 4 just wore their clashes against each other, like they do against, say St Kilda, their supporters would get over it after the first time it happened.
To be fair, it's not the big 4 that is generally unreasonable. It's only Collingwood and Essendon. Carlton and Essendon don't strongly clash with Collingwood anyway and Richmond and Carlton have a clash guernsey that is dramatically different from their home one.

Collingwood playing Carlton is the only one I would like to see without a clash jumper as there is so much history in that rivalry that I would not like to see Carlton in white or light blue playing Collingwood. Collingwood should have a proper clash jumper for North Melbourne and Geelong and it already has been worn once, the one they wore in 2011 away to North. Black all over with two white stripes on left and right. They should make those white portions even thinner and then there is no clash with anyone, including Geelong.

To be fair, it's not the big 4 that is generally unreasonable. It's only Collingwood and Essendon. Carlton and Essendon don't strongly clash with Collingwood anyway and Richmond and Carlton have a clash guernsey that is dramatically different from their home one.

Collingwood playing Carlton is the only one I would like to see without a clash jumper as there is so much history in that rivalry that I would not like to see Carlton in white or light blue playing Collingwood. Collingwood should have a proper clash jumper for North Melbourne and Geelong and it already has been worn once, the one they wore in 2011 away to North. Black all over with two white stripes on left and right. They should make those white portions even thinner and then there is no clash with anyone, including Geelong.
Huh?
Collingwood wear a clash in every away game v the Big 4.
Richmond and Essendon wear clashes against each other, and since Collingwood have white in their strip, you could argue they don't clash with either club.

Carlton are the problem. They clash with all 3 clubs, and yet have never been forced to wear a clash strip.

I always thought the process was the clubs says (or lodges whatever) it’s preferred kit and the afl approves or disapproves.

This doesn’t absolve the afl of its role in the clash s**t shows we so often see but it’s also a lot different to the afl actively directing clubs to clash.

And given who made the decision from the AFL in 2019, any attempt to absolve Geelong of blame is full of s**t.

Geelong cracked the shits and the ‘AFL’ bowed down to them because he was a good old Geelong boy and they didn’t want to upset them any further.

Traditional Collingwood v Carlton strips wouldn't clash if Collingwood always wore white shorts and Carlton always wore navy shorts. It becomes one when a mix of white & black plays a mix of navy & white.

If they want tradition, bend a little with who wears what otherwise it becomes a horrible mess.

Geelong wear their white shorts for home games most of the time anyway, it looks better with that kit I assume is the reason. Don't see why they would wanna change just because it's a final.

Collingwood often wear their clash when its required, it might have more to do with the fact that their clash is also still a traditional jumper but they have it and they use it often.

Gotta be honest, the bolded makes most of your point pretty meaningless. Tradition and history have no place in the discussion of clash jumpers, we absolutely need to move past that aspect to make the clash avoidance the priority.
Geelong wear their white shorts for home games most of the time anyway, it looks better with that kit I assume is the reason. Don't see why they would wanna change just because it's a final.
I dont know why they wanted to when they played North and created one of the worst clashes of the year but somehow... here we are.

On the topic, anyone watch the VFL yesterday?

Carlton in home top with white shorts. Collingwood in black with white stripes and black shorts... Absolute s**t show.

I think the only logical solution to Carlton v Collingwood will be Collingwood in the predominantly white jumper, white shorts and white socks and Carlton full navy, regardless of who is home. Any other solution causes issues (i guess Carlton full clash and collingwood in all dark might work too)

On the topic, anyone watch the VFL yesterday?

Carlton in home top with white shorts. Collingwood in black with white stripes and black shorts... Absolute s**t show.

I think the only logical solution to Carlton v Collingwood will be Collingwood in the predominantly white jumper, white shorts and white socks and Carlton full navy, regardless of who is home.
Such a simple solution.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back