Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

1679782120128.png
Cut the white hoops off from the back and that does the job I reckon

The blue with a white vee one that North wore as a heritage and briefly repurposed (with the Kangaroo logo at the time) as a clash wouldn't be a bad option, I reckon.

How they don't use the plethora of dark-based jumpers in their history to base a clash/alt strip from is just silly. No need to design a wacky third jumper with an alternate non-club colour when you actually have already made design that is a nod to your past.

Cut the white hoops off from the back and that does the job I reckon

It gets a pass from me, but could be improved I think by being less 'hoopy' on the front. Remove the top and bottom white hoop and it's good to go. Though I'd applaud a bit more progressiveness here if Geelong went more radical with a red, green, or yellow third guernsey for away games against Collingwood and North.

Last edited:

It gets a pass from me, but could be improved I think by being less 'hoopy' on the front. Remove the top and bottom white hoop and it's good to go. Though I'd applaud a bit more progressiveness here if Geelong went more radical with a red, green, or yellow third guernsey for away games against Collingwood and North.
Yeah its definitely getting there. Although I'm of the opinion that if a club doesn't need to go the radical approach and do the red/green/yellow to make a great and effective clash/third, they shouldn't. I think this is the case for all teams, whoever designs their kits are just not imaginative or creative.

Geelong-Clash-2008.gif

Geelong had this way back in 2008. Basically 100% effective against North. Could even just drop the cat and do straight hoops and it'd work.
I mean clubs could spend 10 mins on the FJGD board and see all the incredible, effective and history-respecting third/clash kits some users have designed.

Yeah its definitely getting there. Although I'm of the opinion that if a club doesn't need to go the radical approach and do the red/green/yellow to make a great and effective clash/third, they shouldn't. I think this is the case for all teams, whoever designs their kits are just not imaginative or creative.

Geelong-Clash-2008.gif

Geelong had this way back in 2008. Basically 100% effective against North. Could even just drop the cat and do straight hoops and it'd work.
I mean clubs could spend 10 mins on the FJGD board and see all the incredible, effective and history-respecting third/clash kits some users have designed.

We had the straight hoops (no logo) for a while and narrower hoops with the logo near the collar for a while. Did the job. I'm a bit biased because I don't like that logo at all, just looks pretty childish to me compared to the other options over the past 25 years or so.

I guess I'm just a bit keen for clubs to take off the kiddie gloves and get a bit more radical... have some fun with it.

Simply reversing the colours does a perfect job in many cases, like West Coast, Fremantle, Carlton, Port Adelaide, Richmond... it gets a bit iffier with striped/hooped guernseys and I'd argue it leads to silly situations like Melbourne's current clash, where teams are apparently defaulting to 'how can we make our clash as close to our home guernsey as possible and still get a pass?'

I think there's merit in the idea that if your club couldn't play a scratch match: home strip v clash strip, then it doesn't meet the requirements. And if say St Kilda one year decided to go with a version of its Belgium heritage with a yellow back, or Geelong came out with a green clash with one blue and white hoop in the middle, people would get used to it and get over it pretty quickly, the sky wouldn't fall in. And teams would start looking at their annual clash design as an opportunity to do something creative and actually sell a few of them, not the inconvenience that they currently seem to regard it as.

Geelong-Clash-2008.gif

Geelong could pay tribute to a lower level team like Port do
images (28).jpeg

02WBSt23DB1441.jpg

It was ok against the blue of the Dogs but this strip from the Saints is basically an attempt to clash with everybody, lol.

From the back, the shorts and jumper in totality are a thick strip of black, then red, then white.

The black on the back is bullshit: celebrate your heritage by all means, but with a few tweaks where required (I.e. all red back with white numbers) to bring it into the 21st century.

The black on the back is bullshit: celebrate your heritage by all means, but with a few tweaks where required (I.e. all red back with white numbers) to bring it into the 21st century.

"St Kilda will also wear the red-backed version of the jumper for select matches which present a further clash as required by AFL guidelines."

in case anyone was wondering where I got that info from

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"St Kilda will also wear the red-backed version of the jumper for select matches which present a further clash as required by AFL guidelines."

in case anyone was wondering where I got that info from

Yep good for them, I stand corrected.

Feels like a lot of trouble to go to, but if it works more power to them.

Geelong has a clash jumper and wore it in the away game in 2022 against North. I'd be the first to admit it isn't perfect: still too much white on the front and hooped sleeves on a clash jumper are ridiculous when you think about it. I'd like Geelong to go ultra radical with a clash/third jumper and have a completely different primary colour on it.

View attachment 1640043
I actually wasn't aware Geelong had this. Like you said though, it doesn't solve the problem. What was useful about Collingwood and North's inverse versions is that the sides as well as the back both change colour and it is very distinct from the home version. That Geelong one doesn't even bother to pause the hoops around the sides so from the front the clash is just as bad.

I actually wasn't aware Geelong had this. Like you said though, it doesn't solve the problem. What was useful about Collingwood and North's inverse versions is that the sides as well as the back both change colour and it is very distinct from the home version. That Geelong one doesn't even bother to pause the hoops around the sides so from the front the clash is just as bad.

I said it wasn't perfect, but it's still pretty close to a pass for me, considering some of the other fiascos we're treated to in this area on pretty much a weekly basis.

North don’t have a clash strip

Geelong’s needs to be darker
Geelong's 2012/13 clash strips were close to the mark. The current inverse version simply has too much white on it, if they kept the below or used the current strip but with much thinner evenly spaced white stripes it would do the job.

Geelong-Clash-2013.gif
264fac4b3e99884c380d579786ee0b36

Geelong's 2012/13 clash strips were close to the mark. The current inverse version simply has too much white on it, if they kept the below or used the current strip but with much thinner evenly spaced white stripes it would do the job.

Geelong-Clash-2013.gif
264fac4b3e99884c380d579786ee0b36

Agreed. It irks me that my club is one that's guilty of somehow being less progressive than they were 15+ years ago, especially when the clash jumper is used 0-1 times per season.

This is the sort of thing we were putting out in the mid-late 2000s and I don't remember anyone having a problem with it.

Attachments

• DDH_9110.jpeg
    DDH_9110.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 60
I still dont understand why we don't use the candy stripe. It's the perfect clash against Essendon, Sydney, Carlton etc

Collingwood probably the only clash but that's where the red crusader jumper comes in.

Screen-Shot-2021-07-07-at-2.50.28-pm.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back