Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

Saints will be in black shorts as it's our home game. Plus Hawk Indigenous Guernsey is almost completely yellow front and back, there wont be an issue at all regardless of shorts. The Umpires are more of a concern.
I mean, yellow and yellow...

I dont think it will be bad by any stretch but it could be better.

I mean, yellow and yellow...

I dont think it will be bad by any stretch but it could be better.
It's hardly any yellow and a * tonne of yellow, it's not a problem in the slightest.

It's the ratio and placement that cause issues not just having the same/similar colours.

There both red and white and the shorts are basically identical (white with red piping/sides).

Not sure how thats anything but a mare, the rest of your justification of why they are wearing the kits is completely irrelevant to the whole "clash fail". This ones a shocker

It's the photo example you've selected. I can distinguish which team is which, mainly due to Redcliffe's predominantly red jersey and red socks.

If they did a common dumbarse AFL thing, like Saints in red shorts, Redcliffe in white, and both teams wearing the same socks so they had similar proportions of red and white in their strips, then yes it would've been a mare. This is where the AFL frequently get it very wrong.

But ultimately yes, it could've been better.

the additional info on kits is an explanation, not a justification. Redcliffe wear their traditional uniform at Dolphins Stadium, and their 'NRL' uniform at Lang Park and away. It would be like Port on occasion playing at Alberton (if ground was capable) wearing the bars (if AFL/Collingwood would let them), and the AFL uniform at Adelaide Oval/everywhere else.

Btw, Saints haven't kicked up a stink about Redcliffe being a new team in the comp wearing 'their' red and white. Mind you, they have bigger problems at the moment.

It's hardly any yellow and a * tonne of yellow, it's not a problem in the slightest.

It's the ratio and placement that cause issues not just having the same/similar colours.
You cant think of an existing combination that might be better? No one is saying its an abomination but... it could clearly and easily be better.

I do query why Sir Doug Nicholls round is 2 rounds though...
It's the photo example you've selected. I can distinguish which team is which, mainly due to Redcliffe's predominantly red jersey and red socks.

If they did a common dumbarse AFL thing, like Saints in red shorts, Redcliffe in white, and both teams wearing the same socks so they had similar proportions of red and white in their strips, then yes it would've been a mare. This is where the AFL frequently get it very wrong.

But ultimately yes, it could've been better.

the additional info on kits is an explanation, not a justification. Redcliffe wear their traditional uniform at Dolphins Stadium, and their 'NRL' uniform at Lang Park and away. It would be like Port on occasion playing at Alberton (if ground was capable) wearing the bars (if AFL/Collingwood would let them), and the AFL uniform at Adelaide Oval/everywhere else.

Btw, Saints haven't kicked up a stink about Redcliffe being a new team in the comp wearing 'their' red and white. Mind you, they have bigger problems at the moment.
I mean i can distinguish them too but its not exactly easy. Gotta say im pretty stunned that anyone is trying to argue that game last night wasnt an absolute s**t show when it comes to jumper clashes. You can argue its less of an issue in league, you can argue YOU could tell them apart but its literally two teams in exactly the same colors and even shades with proportions within about 30-40% and the EXACT same shorts.

From a jumper clash POV it is nothing short of a ******* crime.

You cant think of an existing combination that might be better? No one is saying its an abomination but... it could clearly and easily be better.

I do query why Sir Doug Nicholls round is 2 rounds though...

I mean i can distinguish them too but its not exactly easy. Gotta say im pretty stunned that anyone is trying to argue that game last night wasnt an absolute s**t show when it comes to jumper clashes. You can argue its less of an issue in league, you can argue YOU could tell them apart but its literally two teams in exactly the same colors and even shades with proportions within about 30-40% and the EXACT same shorts.

From a jumper clash POV it is nothing short of a ******* crime.

There once was a time where I'd share your thoughts. Perhaps I've finally accepted that despite seeing how well match-day strip principles work overseas, clubs and fans here in Australia are tied inflexibly to their club colours, and won't budge for anything.

Or perhaps I'm just defeated :think:

There once was a time where I'd share your thoughts. Perhaps I've finally accepted that despite seeing how well match-day strip principles work overseas, clubs and fans here in Australia are tied inflexibly to their club colours, and won't budge for anything.

Or perhaps I'm just defeated :think:
Fair enough if you’ve accepted it but I think trying to say it wasn’t a clash is real odd. It’s the sort of s**t this whole thread was invented for.

Fair enough if you’ve accepted it but I think trying to say it wasn’t a clash is real odd. It’s the sort of s**t this whole thread was invented for.
Does Richmond (home) and Hawthorn (home) have a clash issue? Caused that's basically what you are arguing here.

Again It's the ratio and placement that cause issues not just having the same/similar colours.

Hawthorns kit is clearly a light kit and St Kilda's a Dark Kit there is no issue whatsoever. From the nose bleeds at the MCG you can tell them apart with no issue even from the front.

There is massive contrast between the 2 kits and that's it what needed.

St Kilda vs Hawthorn a clash issue? * OFF!

Does Richmond (home) and Hawthorn (home) have a clash issue? Caused that's basically what you are arguing here.

Again It's the ratio and placement that cause issues not just having the same/similar colours.

Hawthorns kit is clearly a light kit and St Kilda's a Dark Kit there is no issue whatsoever. From the nose bleeds at the MCG you can tell them apart with no issue even from the front.

There is massive contrast between the 2 kits and that's it what needed.

St Kilda vs Hawthorn a clash issue? * OFF!
Can only assume youve not realised your quoting the wrong thing.

The quote youve referenced is about the NRL clash.

The Saints Hawks one isnt really an issue, im agreeing, im just pointing out that the saints have a jumper that has absolutely none of the same colors as the hawks jumper, so if we dont wear our indigenous kit (which ******* rules btw) then its "better" but i dont really care about that one.

When you combine the elements of: 'horrific clash', 'the clash is actually created by the alternate colour', 'pissing off your supporter base by messing with tradition' and 'there is absolutely no need to bring different colours into the mix: it's only ever the same two teams playing against each other and their regular colours don't clash any more than black does with white', well it's hard to argue with the NSW State of Origin Big V tribute jersey being immediately inducted as a hall of fame legend of stupid clashes. Wish they'd brought VB back as the sponsor for shits and giggles.

When you combine the elements of: 'horrific clash', 'the clash is actually created by the alternate colour', 'pissing off your supporter base by messing with tradition' and 'there is absolutely no need to bring different colours into the mix: it's only ever the same two teams playing against each other and their regular colours don't clash any more than black does with white', well it's hard to argue with the NSW State of Origin Big V tribute jersey being immediately inducted as a hall of fame legend of stupid clashes. Wish they'd brought VB back as the sponsor for shits and giggles.
Throw in the team capitulating a lead when the opposition were one man down on the field for a cherry on top.

Throw in the team capitulating a lead when the opposition were one man down on the field for a cherry on top.
As opposed to most people down here who tend to go with the maroons because half the origin side during their glory days seemed to be Storm legends, or a bit of Sydney/Melbourne rivalry, I've usually gone the other way and supported the Blues. But when I don't really care about either of the teams (and I don't when it comes to NRL), I'm hoping that the team with the stupid clash-causing uniform loses, preferably by a turnover where they pass it straight to an opponent.

As opposed to most people down here who tend to go with the maroons because half the origin side during their glory days seemed to be Storm legends, or a bit of Sydney/Melbourne rivalry, I've usually gone the other way and supported the Blues. But when I don't really care about either of the teams (and I don't when it comes to NRL), I'm hoping that the team with the stupid clash-causing uniform loses, preferably by a turnover where they pass it straight to an opponent.
Fwiw I was born and raised in my early years in Beenleigh, I also follow the broncos not the storm because of that.
In any event I agree with the sentiment, I also wanna point out I quite like the navy strip but make it a training jumper boys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry, are you suggesting navy blue clashes with maroon?

At no point was there any confusion about who was in what jersey. I get the argument it's not a 'NSW' jersey but last nights game had absolutely zero clash.

I've notice that hawks Brown is clashing with blue.
Went to a vflw game and players from Port and hawks were hitting leads to the opposition. The hawks vs dogs game in the afl hawks were wearing legends jumpers, and quite a few times you saw players looking at the opponent and about to pass to them before realising. It's not an issue during the day, but under lights it reflects similarly

At no point was there any confusion about who was in what jersey. I get the argument it's not a 'NSW' jersey but last nights game had absolutely zero clash.
Theyre both really dark, i cant say i had any issue distinguishing the teams but i also suspect some with minor visual issue might have

Theyre both really dark, i cant say i had any issue distinguishing the teams but i also suspect some with minor visual issue might have
Which might've been a problem in an AFL game but in an NRL game, it's completely fine.

The Dragons/Dolphins one you'd posted previously was far more problematic than last night.

Which might've been a problem in an AFL game but in an NRL game, it's completely fine.

The Dragons/Dolphins one you'd posted previously was far more problematic than last night.
The dragons/dolphins one was awful (although some tried to imply it was fine).

Ultimately the thread is for clashes and last night wasnt a problem per se it just could have been better and the navy didnt seem to be for any particularly good reason.

The dragons/dolphins one was awful (although some tried to imply it was fine).

Ultimately the thread is for clashes and last night wasnt a problem per se it just could have been better and the navy didnt seem to be for any particularly good reason.
Had heard (not sure how true this is) that Tooheys were trying to get them to look more like the colour of their beer can.

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying. It wouldn't make much sense for me to put this in the clash jumpers thread if I didn't. It's why Melbourne and Brisbane wear clash guernseys against each other, even with the other stuff on their jumpers that helps create a distinction.

There were other aspects that probably contributed: no real pattern on either jersey besides the main colour and a night game under lights always makes it a bit trickier with two dark colours.

On the TV last night they looked identical to me, especially on the long shots.

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying. It wouldn't make much sense for me to put this in the clash jumpers thread if I didn't. It's why Melbourne and Brisbane wear clash guernseys against each other, even with the other stuff on their jumpers that helps create a distinction.

There were other aspects that probably contributed: no real pattern on either jersey besides the main colour and a night game under lights always makes it a bit trickier with two dark colours.

On the TV last night they looked identical to me, especially on the long shots.
That's unfortunate for you, you must see clashes in most games if that's the case.

That's unfortunate for you, you must see clashes in most games if that's the case.
Well this is a 230 page thread.

Admittedly, I am colour blind, something I share with 8% of the male population. But one match-up that I don't see a clash with is when NSW wears its regular jersey and Qld wears its regular jersey.

Bit rough.

This is for discussion on clashes and most people have accepted that in modern sport visual impairment should be a consideration.

The continued "i didnt have an issue with it" isnt really helpful in a clash jumper discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back