Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

The good news is that Collingwood should wear their white-based jumper in the grand final if they and Richmond make it. They are the lower-ranked team out of the 2.

surely they will......right?

Who am I kidding? The AFL will make up something up on the spot and we will end up with Richmond in white shorts somehow.

What the 'open your eyes, there's no jumper clash' brigade fail to understand is how aesthetically pleasing it is to watch two teams in clearly distinguishable colours, especially when you're not particularly invested in the outcome. It makes it easier to create interest in the outcome as I'm more likely to become invested. I reckon I could watch a North vs Collingwood final on a black and white TV and have no issues, but, it's not about me, or about the supporters who would watch anywhere, anytime.

Tonight's game is so much easier to watch. Last night's was okay, but with WCE in white shorts, there was the minutest confusion, and last weeks? Well, I gave up and half-watched because I couldn't be bothered.

I don’t understand how people can’t get their heads around this

The home team has a home kit
The away team needs an alternate kit if it clashes

Why can every other sport understand this
The argument comes down to the definition of kit. Does it include shorts?

A lot of other sports around the world don't include shorts. i.e. home teams often change shorts to avoid clashes.

A lot of other sports around the world don't include shorts. i.e. home teams often change shorts to avoid clashes.

I think it has to, for a game where the players are on the ground contesting after the ball for significant proportions of the game.

The whole dark shorts at home thing is a relic of a bygone era that should be shelved.

Geelong should wear white shorts against Collingwood, who should wear their dark strip. Collingwood should wear their light strip and white shorts against Carlton, Richmond, Essendon etc.

Seriously not that hard.

If kit does include shorts should the AFL introduce a rule where dark kits have to have dark shorts and light kits have to have light shorts?

As far as Geelong and Collingwood goes, the problem is defining a dark and light kit in the first place. In my humble, the core of problem is that each jumper is a sort of 60/40 split between light and dark, because they insist on using stripes of equal width, and the AFL pretend that this an adequate distinction. I reckon for a dark or light kit it should be something like 80/20 each way, using thin and thick alternating stripes rather than equal width. I could handle an 80/20 split with shorts in the 80 colour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But it is satisfactory. They wear it against those teams that you mentioned, when they are the designated away team.

View attachment 746024View attachment 746025

Agree and against Carlton also.
5681d2f73bb8e8f6ff84a66e67f78f1c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's not even an argument. It just requires the AFL to make a sensible decision and be consistent about it. I doubt anyone would give a s**t if the AFL stated categorically that they will decide what colour shorts a team wears having total regard for ensuring clear differentiation between the teams.

Im happy Geelong are finally wearing navy again
Been a bugbear for ages

Away team finds an alternative

Soccer do this perfectly

Or we just do what’s been done for 160 years

So if Collingwood play Geelong in a home game and decide, for arguments sake, to wear white shorts as it's their home game and they can wear what they want. What would Geelong wear? They dont have an adequate clash strip for that situation. Would Geelong fans be happy to wear an alternative colour and create a new strip for that one game?

So if Collingwood play Geelong in a home game and decide, for arguments sake, to wear white shorts as it's their home game and they can wear what they want. What would Geelong wear? They dont have an adequate clash strip for that situation. Would Geelong fans be happy to wear an alternative colour and create a new strip for that one game?

Yes. But you would prefer if they just sat down over a beer and came to a pragmatic compromise. Something that would serve well in both home and away scenarios for both sides.

But you would prefer if they just sat down over a beer and came to a pragmatic compromise. Something that would serve well in both home and away scenarios for both sides.
Eddie McGuire and Frank Costa already did this 20 years ago. Not sure why all that went out the window last weekend.

Yes. But you would prefer if they just sat down over a beer and came to a pragmatic compromise. Something that would serve well in both home and away scenarios for both sides.

Or we could get a central body to run the league, give them hundreds of millions of dollars a year and hundreds of employees in a nice big head office, and task them with coming up with a solution.

Dang, they can’t do it.

The whole dark shorts at home thing is a relic of a bygone era that should be shelved.

Geelong should wear white shorts against Collingwood, who should wear their dark strip. Collingwood should wear their light strip and white shorts against Carlton, Richmond, Essendon etc.

Seriously not that hard.
In your opinion.

I disagree.

In the modern era, clubs can afford more than two pairs of shorts
In your opinion.

I disagree.

In the modern era, clubs can afford more than two pairs of shorts, so let's not cling onto something for no reason. I'm as nostalgic as the next bloke (and would love to go back to the VFL), but the game has changed to be unrecognisable. We might as well be able to tell the teams apart

Remove this Banner Ad

Back