Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

How many levels of ******* absurd is it that we wear a red jumper in the scratch match - which nobody watches - because it’s a better clash.

Seriously, this is next level stuff. Wtf is driving this? What is wrong with this AFL?

It’s pretty clear imo - the clubs organise the scratch matches, not the AFL.

How many levels of ******* absurd is it that we wear a red jumper in the scratch match - which nobody watches - because it’s a better clash.

Seriously, this is next level stuff. Wtf is driving this? What is wrong with this AFL?

Can you really blame the AFL when Essendon would have organised this jumper probably pre season?

Now that the traditional reserves teams are playing each other regularly, it adds the absurdity, as the teams don't think twice about wearing the clash in the VFL, even though they won't for a game featuring the same teams on the same weekend in the AFL.

I still feel like it's the clubs demonstrating that they can use common sense in preseason games and at the lower levels and then ironically acting less professionally the higher the standard gets.

But even if I'm right with that, it's still on the AFL. When there isn't a sufficient contrast between the teams the away team wears what the AFL says, or cops a $50,000 fine. Do it again: $100,000. Third time it happens you lose premiership points.

Now that the traditional reserves teams are playing each other regularly, it adds the absurdity, as the teams don't think twice about wearing the clash in the VFL, even though they won't for a game featuring the same teams on the same weekend in the AFL.

I still feel like it's the clubs demonstrating that they can use common sense in preseason games and at the lower levels and then ironically acting less professionally the higher the standard gets.

But even if I'm right with that, it's still on the AFL. When there isn't a sufficient contrast between the teams the away team wears what the AFL says, or cops a $50,000 fine. Do it again: $100,000. Third time it happens you lose premiership points.

It’s not the clubs’ choice. The AFL directs them what to wear. If they wear the wrong thing they’re fined $5k per player.

For example, if Ess rolled out in their red kit against Collingwood, it’d be against AFL direction.

It’s not the clubs’ choice. The AFL directs them what to wear. If they wear the wrong thing they’re fined $5k per player.

For example, if Ess rolled out in their red kit against Collingwood, it’d be against AFL direction.

Fair enough then, I stand corrected. Pretty baffled though why the AFL would be so desperate for Essendon, Carlton and Richmond to continue wearing black/navy jumpers as the away team against Collingwood, instead of their perfectly functional clash jumpers, each of which (in my opinion) looks pretty good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough then, I stand corrected. Pretty baffled though why the AFL would be so desperate for Essendon, Carlton and Richmond to continue wearing black/navy jumpers as the away team against Collingwood, instead of their perfectly functional clash jumpers, each of which (in my opinion) looks pretty good.

Rich influential boomers want it

It woulda been worse if they wore the brown with gold stripes one...it's not as bad as I expected.

I recon with a yoke jumper the back (and the shorts) is better off to match the bottom 3/4 of the front rather than the top. Giants and Sydney do it the wrong way around and Melbourne gets it right. At least the swans wear red shorts which helps.
Giants is a bit of a mess, they should wear a charcoal back ideally or at least orange shorts.

It's at the point now where whoever is organising the uniform policy must be willingly trying to make match-ups look bad. You couldn't get to the point we are at through straight incompetence or lack of care. A number of clash issues that had slowly been sorted out have now gone backwards again in the last few years.

If I turn on a game like this evening and see that garish clash of guernseys, or see a sea of dark guernseys like I do most Friday nights, I just turn off. The spectacle is already ugly enough anyway. I'm sure many do the same. The AFL are sabotaging their product, why would they do this?

I recon with a yoke jumper the back (and the shorts) is better off to match the bottom 3/4 of the front rather than the top. Giants and Sydney do it the wrong way around and Melbourne gets it right. At least the swans wear red shorts which helps.
Giants is a bit of a mess, they should wear a charcoal back ideally or at least orange shorts.

Personally I think GWS should go all in with the orange (a unique colour in the AFL), rather than the mix of colours on the front. But that's really neither here nor there. The problem is that Hawthorn's clash is a joke. It fails the most basic requirement.

The numerous stupid looking white clown suits. The power rangers costume. Hey, at least they provided a distinction when it was required. This is far worse than those.

Personally I think GWS should go all in with the orange (a unique colour in the AFL), rather than the mix of colours on the front. But that's really neither here nor there. The problem is that Hawthorn's clash is a joke. It fails the most basic requirement.

The numerous stupid looking white clown suits. The power rangers costume. Hey, at least they provided a distinction when it was required. This is far worse than those.
I agree about the orange. Maybe orange shorts and swap the charcoal and orange on the front. Then the inverse makes a possible clash strip.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back