Jumper clash fails

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It is easily distinguishable - that pic is misleading, and does not show one has a black back the other white.

The issue is Geelong have a white top, dark bottoms. Pick one or the other. If u want a white top, wear white shorts. If you want dark shorts - wear a dark top.

Too me shorts are secondary, and the cats and roos should have embraced white shorts. Previously the cats have - and the roos made the decision to change there top to embrace coloured shorts.
Perfect sense. Home team only gets the right to have their home jumper not full kit, especially if full kit is is confusing like Geelong’s. Then common sense, not ego, dictates all the other components from both teams. Home team should be happy because they get their home jumper.

Jul 16, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
MUFC, Storm, Rebels
Ah yeah, fair enough... hadn't thought of it like that. Though I thought it was the higher team in a GF. Dunno.
Replying to an old message, but I think the answer is, the AFL make it up as they go.

Look at the 2014 and 2015 final series. Both contradict each other with how they work out the home team in the GF.

Edit - Add in 2016 too, and it's confusing.

10571z

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2006
Christmas Hills
AFL Club
Collingwood
Cats jumper is predominately white

Pies is predominately black

Logic says we follow that with shorts.

We are required to have a predominately white clash outfit that we do have. Unfortunately it’s useless for games like this.

There is no scenario where cats should have worn dark shorts.

Pies either go full black and it clashes horribly or go full white and just as bad.

CollarJazzKnee

All Australian
Mar 17, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Funny how collingwoods jumper was like geelongs (white top, dark shorts) for about 80 years then Eddy decided to change it (thought it was sacrosanct?) based on a sponsorship with adidas and now they clash with heaps more teams than what they did.

10571z

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2006
Christmas Hills
AFL Club
Collingwood
Funny how collingwoods jumper was like geelongs (white top, dark shorts) for about 80 years then Eddy decided to change it (thought it was sacrosanct?) based on a sponsorship with adidas and now they clash with heaps more teams than what they did.
? We have 2 jumpers.

One black and one white.

Neither work with Geelong without Geelong wearing white shorts.

It’s kids stuff really to make this work

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
No, the white based Collingwood jumper was a nightmare against the cats, and Roos, whilst I was growing up watching those three teams play through the 70’s-90’s. I used to ask my dad in the seventies why they didn’t have alternative jumpers. Collingwood’s full dark v Geelong’s full light is great. If Geelong want to be the dark team, they can, but they can’t be half way.

CollarJazzKnee

All Australian
Mar 17, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
No, the white based Collingwood jumper was a nightmare against the cats, and Roos, whilst I was growing up watching those three teams play through the 70’s-90’s. I used to ask my dad in the seventies why they didn’t have alternative jumpers. Collingwood’s full dark v Geelong’s full light is great. If Geelong want to be the dark team, they can, but they can’t be half way.

yes and now the pies clash with- carlton (never used to), st kilda (ditto), melbourne, essendon, fremantle

StillAtLarge

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Every team should have a light jumper, a dark jumper and a 3rd strip of a completely different colour for when they clash regardless of light & dark (pies/north/cats)
(hawks/richmond) (melb/bulldogs) etc.
When someone as experienced as Selwood spots up a Collingwood player with a perfect disposal you know it's become a farce.

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
yes and now the pies clash with- carlton (never used to), st kilda (ditto), melbourne, essendon, fremantle

So we wear the white jumper when away too them...If we hadn’t changed, we’d be causing issues like the Cats did on Friday night!

One day Cats fans will understand that the stupidity of the situation is caused by them having a white jumper with dark shorts...

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Colin Carter is where this is coming from. He has a massive chip on his shoulder about VFA records, home finals etc. And through Steve Hocking, his puppet this year Geelong has gone back to dark shorts at home most weeks. He is off his head about the home final thing. Today on SEN Frank Costa said “of course last Friday’s final should have been at the MCG”. Colin Carter is so small minded and insular. His ego is dented.

Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
So we wear the white jumper when away too them...If we hadn’t changed, we’d be causing issues like the Cats did on Friday night!

One day Cats fans will understand that the stupidity of the situation is caused by them having a white jumper with dark shorts...
No it is caused by the away team refusing to.have a proper clash jumper, simple

Dc9798

Club Legend
Dec 25, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Juventus FC
Geelong were happy to wear white shorts against Carlton at GMHBA.

We can argue all day but we all know it was just a sook up against the fact they played the MCG.

Their is zero logic in anything but pies black shorts and Geelong white.

If my club had a white/light based home jumper, it would not bother me at all if we had to wear white shorts at home as long as we're in our home jumper.
If the home shorts bother Geelong that much, reverse the colour scheme on the home jumper like North Melbourne did.
I love how some hark up over clash jumpers (which have been in the AFL for approx. 20 years) & home and away shorts!

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
If my club had a white/light based home jumper, it would not bother me at all if we had to wear white shorts at home as long as we're in our home jumper.
If the home shorts bother Geelong that much, reverse the colour scheme on the home jumper like North Melbourne did.
I love how some hark up over clash jumpers (which have been in the AFL for approx. 20 years) & home and away shorts!

This!!! How is it such a difficult concept for so many to grasp? In modern day footy with clash strips, it’s a simple case of light or dark uniforms, how can a team create a clash strip to play against a club who wears a mishmash of light and dark? And no telling Collingwood to wear bright yellow or something stupid is not an effective solution!!!!

Dec 2, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Geelong have been wearing blue shorts at home for the better part of 45 years. Would’ve thought they are entitled to wear whatever they like in home games.

do they do it and want it because it is the way it's done in Australian football? does the 80 yo equipment steward insist that it be done the same way it was done in the 1960s? Is there a stigma towards white shorts at home in this sport? there seems to be.

and I don't understand the automatic selection of white shorts for a club because it is an away game.

i know American sports in particular have a standard - 31 of 32 clubs in the NFL for example will choose their coloured jersey for most (some choose white in early season summer outdoor day games) home games. The only team that chooses a white jersey for all home games is Dallas Cowboys - back in the 60s their owner wanted the fans to see visiting clubs in their main colours. they've stuck with white ever since and only pull out their navy (very rare) away when their opposition choose white at home in summer as i alluded to above. Doing things differently to everyone else, is probably an indicator as to why they're also the most valuable sports franchise on the planet.

I really would've thought that Geelong would embrace going all-white as their main kit. It's looks a shitload more classier in their full kit to me, and it was standard in finals for them during their most successful period. As the only white-coloured club left in the comp - North & Collingwood have opted to make their other colour as the primary colour in their kits - they are in an enviable position of never having to change their uniform against any other opponent......EVER!

And before the introduction of black shorts home / white shorts away for the first time in the VFL in 1924, Geelong wore white shorts. As did Essendon. It was actually a sign of prestige back in those days (before apparel provider contracts) that they could actually afford to kit out the team in white - the fabric was more expensive than the darker variety.

Last Friday night was pure pettiness. And given some of their players struggled to pick out teammates, a bit of comeuppance for the club.

Jul 1, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Wildcats, Subiaco Lions, Bulls
No it is caused by the away team refusing to.have a proper clash jumper, simple
The Pies do have a proper clash jumper. They have a light jumper, and a dark jumper. And matching shorts for each.

Geelong shorts not matching the jumper is the issue, and is easily fixed.

Back