Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

Except for the multiple times per year that they don't.

All grey is no more our club's identity than bright green or yellow. It is equally unacceptable.
We have had acceptable clash kits in the past that have prevented these issues while retaining black and white (as mentioned previously, our 2012-13 clash kit against North Melbourne)
Also Premier League clubs have been known to change shorts at home to avoid clashes with the away team's home kit (see for example Man United vs. Swansea City).

A third colour is not needed, now or at any other time.
I mean that's a one-off though. I haven't seen that happen in any other fixture, or if I have I didn't take note of it. I mean I've seen teams wear similar coloured shorts, but for the most part, the FA tries to get every team to wear different coloured shorts, shirts and socks in each fixture; with away team changing to suit. It's the easiest system to enforce because then literally no one can complain about certain clubs being given a leg-up all the time.

Fix is easy...

Team’s “home” shorts have to match the majority colour of their jumper.

If Geelong wear this jumper then they wear white shorts.

North made this sensible change - blue jumper with blue shorts now. Same with Collingwood - black jumper with black shorts.

Actually north wanted to keep their white kit as their home jumper, but with white shorts. AFL wouldn't allow it, hence the switch

AFL is stubborn as * on "home shorts must be dark" and then has isolated and inconsistent allowances around it.

As you said, not ******* hard. If you have dark top, then dark shorts. Home or away. Vice versa when you have light

And here I thought the 2017 grand final would've fixed everything.
If a proud club like Richmond would tolerate the change, win and celebrate the victory in their clash guernsey, making it part of the clubs identity.
Youd think other clubs would have no issue.

I flicked on the game and watched maybe 20 seconds on Friday night. My first thought was this thread will be blowing up right now. Geelong wear their white shorts. Collingwood wear their black shorts. Such a simple fix.

Also, what were peoples thoughts with the other qualifying final. On the contrast factor which is common sense, it was tolerable. However, based on the AFL's 'light/dark' crap they spouted in the past. Both were dark. Letting Richmond wear their home kit contradicted their past stance.

Actually north wanted to keep their white kit as their home jumper, but with white shorts. AFL wouldn't allow it, hence the switch

AFL is stubborn as fu** on "home shorts must be dark" and then has isolated and inconsistent allowances around it.

As you said, not ******* hard. If you have dark top, then dark shorts. Home or away. Vice versa when you have light

It’s basically all the AFL’s fault. They’re to blame for not putting in place what should be a fairly straightforward process.

Every club nominates their 11 home jumpers

AFL tells them which shorts they’re wearing

AFL tells the away team what they’re wearing.

End of

And here I thought the 2017 grand final would've fixed everything.
If a proud club like Richmond would tolerate the change, win and celebrate the victory in their clash guernsey, making it part of the clubs identity.
Youd think other clubs would have no issue.

I flicked on the game and watched maybe 20 seconds on Friday night. My first thought was this thread will be blowing up right now. Geelong wear their white shorts. Collingwood wear their black shorts. Such a simple fix.

Also, what were peoples thoughts with the other qualifying final. On the contrast factor which is common sense, it was tolerable. However, based on the AFL's 'light/dark' crap they spouted in the past. Both were dark. Letting Richmond wear their home kit contradicted their past stance.
Clubs should be allowed to wear their home jumper as a priority, as long as there is sufficient contrast. If this is the case, a la Richmond and Brisbane, then I'm ok with it, even if Richmond's clash top would have provided maximum contrast.

It’s basically all the AFL’s fault. They’re to blame for not putting in place what should be a fairly straightforward process.

End of

Agree. We all love to blame the clubs on this, but the AFL has been at the core of the major cases of stupidity around their inflexibility and inconsistency

End of
What you say should be correct. Except there is now a Geelong stooge as the ‘football ops manager’ Steve Hocking. And since he’s been in this year Geelong have gone back 20 years to blue shorts. He is the one in charge.

Hopefully, real change about jumper clashes can finally happen after that crapshot last night.

There are so many inconsistencies with its enforcement, mainly caused by Richmond, Essendon, Carlton and, of course, Collingwood. Especially when they play against each other. How hard is it to get a team to nominate its FULL home strip for every team, every year, and then tell the away team to get a FULL away strip which doesn't clash with them. If there are "gentleman's agreements", then it is up to the home team to nominate that at the beginning of the year and wear it year-round. But it must not clash. It is no good for Collingwood to tell the away team(Essendon and Richmond nowadays), that they don't mind the clash, so wear the home top anyway. A clash is a clash.

AND DO AWAY WITH THE STUPID WHITE SHORTS POLICY!!!!!!!

Richmond wore a highlighter yellow clash in a grand final ffs. What part of us not coming to the party are we not doing?

We have stated our preference is to wear our traditional top as much as possible. We don't when the AFL tell us they need greater contrast, and we wear yellow.

You can bash us for a lot of s**t, but this is just stupid

do they do it and want it because it is the way it's done in Australian football? does the 80 yo equipment steward insist that it be done the same way it was done in the 1960s? Is there a stigma towards white shorts at home in this sport? there seems to be.

and I don't understand the automatic selection of white shorts for a club because it is an away game.

i know American sports in particular have a standard - 31 of 32 clubs in the NFL for example will choose their coloured jersey for most (some choose white in early season summer outdoor day games) home games. The only team that chooses a white jersey for all home games is Dallas Cowboys - back in the 60s their owner wanted the fans to see visiting clubs in their main colours. they've stuck with white ever since and only pull out their navy (very rare) away when their opposition choose white at home in summer as i alluded to above. Doing things differently to everyone else, is probably an indicator as to why they're also the most valuable sports franchise on the planet.

I really would've thought that Geelong would embrace going all-white as their main kit. It's looks a s**tload more classier in their full kit to me, and it was standard in finals for them during their most successful period. As the only white-coloured club left in the comp - North & Collingwood have opted to make their other colour as the primary colour in their kits - they are in an enviable position of never having to change their uniform against any other opponent......EVER!

And before the introduction of black shorts home / white shorts away for the first time in the VFL in 1924, Geelong wore white shorts. As did Essendon. It was actually a sign of prestige back in those days (before apparel provider contracts) that they could actually afford to kit out the team in white - the fabric was more expensive than the darker variety.

Last Friday night was pure pettiness. And given some of their players struggled to pick out teammates, a bit of comeuppance for the club.
Great post!

It is easily distinguishable - that pic is misleading, and does not show one has a black back the other white.

The issue is Geelong have a white top, dark bottoms. Pick one or the other. If u want a white top, wear white shorts. If you want dark shorts - wear a dark top.

Too me shorts are secondary, and the cats and roos should have embraced white shorts. Previously the cats have - and the roos made the decision to change there top to embrace coloured shorts.
Completely agree with you. I was making jest of the person I was replying to in their obviously ridiculous statement that our home/clash kits are "almost indistinguisble".

AFL is stubborn as fu** on "home shorts must be dark" and then has isolated and inconsistent allowances around it.

Wait what?
The AFL stopped North Melbourne from using common sense in regards to its home jumper and shorts combination? This league sometimes seriously!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't think people understand this, and it's incredibly simple. Home team nominates a home strip before the season. It is worn in every match at home, and every away match if suitable. If not suitable, for an away match, they have an away strip, and if that isn't suitable, then a clash (third) strip.

Take spurs in the Premier league, who have a similar strip as compared to the cats, albeit with no hoops. Home is white, navy, white. Away is all navy. Neither of these kits are particularly useful against Newcastle away (who like Collingwood, wear black and white stripes and are known as the magpies). Spurs, thus, have a third kit which is light blue (teal). Newcastle's away kit is green, and their third is orange for the corresponding fixture. This system should be used in the AFL as it respects the home team's nominated home strip. Collingwood could wear an all grey kit for saints and cats home games; nothing outrageous imo. North at Geelong should wear full home, but could also have a grey or orange third kit. Sure, you have to pick the right colours, but you don't need bright green or yellow kits. You can retain the club's identity with some proper thought.
Why do all this when you can simply swap the colour shorts? As has been done for well over a decade, looks far better and Geelong themselves have been doing for home games for years now.

No one is asking them to wear a different jumper that isn't their home jumper, their home game is being respected. It's not that sacrosanct now to swap the colour of shorts for the sake of the spectator and players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

End of
As pointed out by Billy ray on the FJGD board, under Section 4.4(b) of the AFL Regulations states that:
The uniform to be worn by a Club during the Finals Series shall be as directed by General Manager - Football Operations or his appointee.

Who might this General Manager of Football Operations be? Dear oh dear... this is SHocking

1567902394024-png.742512

That sounds unlikely given the AFL seems happy for Geelong to wear white shorts at home.

Can any Roos fans shed any light on the matter?

That sounds unlikely given the AFL seems happy for Geelong to wear white shorts at home.

The consensus on the FJGD board has always been that North got sick of being forced into white shorts for home games, that they made the blue-based jumper, which was then their clash, their home guernsey.

The consensus on the FJGD board has always been that North got sick of being forced into white shorts for home games, that they made the blue-based jumper, which was then their clash, their home guernsey.
The clusterf*** we got on Friday night was similar to what happened a few rounds ago when Geelong hosted North at the Cattery. Usually this matchup sees North in their full royal blue kit (shorts and all) with Geelong in full white. For some reason this year Geelong were in navy shorts and North wore their clash outfit, which was MAINLY WHITE!!! The AFL has dropped the ball with clash kits in 2019.

It's case by case, and completely insane

Just like how clubs clash with a jumper one year, next year they don't, and next year it's back on again. Add to that the stupidity like the last minute change of our kit against port in the elimination final. They approved our clash kit, then didn't for two one off occurrences during the season because C7 wanted to optimise the viewing experience, fixed it by having the prison bars dusted off, but ****ed it by keeping us in white shorts.

That's what I always thought.

It's very odd this AFL culture that values dark shorts so much clubs would even prefer to change their home jumper than wear white.

It's similar to how opposition supporters seemed astounded that Freo would choose to wear our white jumpers in the GF once it was mandated we were in the white shorts, as if choosing white over dark was some kind of surrender instead of a perfectly valid version of our kit.

Geelong have been wearing blue shorts at home for the better part of 45 years. Would’ve thought they are entitled to wear whatever they like in home games.

Not for the past few years they haven't, with the exception of Brisbane, Gold Coast and Sydney, Geelong have been wearing white shorts in all matches.

Geelong have been wearing blue shorts at home for the better part of 45 years. Would’ve thought they are entitled to wear whatever they like in home games.

Not for the past few years they haven't, with the exception of Brisbane, Gold Coast and Sydney, Geelong have been wearing white shorts in all matches.

That's what I always thought.

It's very odd this AFL culture that values dark shorts so much clubs would even prefer to change their home jumper than wear white.

It's similar to how oppositions supporters seemed astounded that Freo would choose to wear our white jumpers in the GF once it was mandated we were in the white shorts, as if choosing white over dark was some kind of surrender.

It's because dark is called home, so clubs/supporters who are idiots think they are showing weakness by the away team being treated like the home team.

Remove "home" from the equation and make shorts identical to your jumpers primary colour.

Lol thats not an alternate strip
The Pies do have a proper clash jumper. They have a light jumper, and a dark jumper. And matching shorts for each.

Geelong shorts not matching the jumper is the issue, and is easily fixed.
Thats what Eddie wants people to think Collingwood were the away side so the shorts were correct they need a true clash jumper like we had to wear in the 17 GF.

Eddie can gagf for all I care

For years the AFL has dictated to Geelong that they must wear white shorts at home.
It was the AFLs policy.
Who was at Geelong when they were showing their aggrievance? Steve Hocking.
Now that he’s at the AFL he lifted the rule and made away teams wear white shorts.
That’s why Eddies pissed off. The gentleman’s agreement was broken but not for Collingwoods sake but for Geelongs.
Eddies just the first to kick up a sook cause Eddie.
North didn’t say anything after our game in Geelong because we knew what Hockings response would be.

All this other talk of clash jumpers and whatnot is just bigfooty naivety.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back