Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

We are now twenty pages further into the prison bar debate in a thread that has nothing to do with it. Never change BigFooty.
All my fault for asking why Port didn't have a teal strip last week

It's just our history of success which Collingwood is extremely bitter about hence the fight to prevent us from honouring our history. A record 4 champions of Australia titles....that's against all clubs including VFL clubs

Port Store | Official Online Store of the Port Adelaide Football Club - Shopping Cart
Search
Port Adelaide Football Club

Port Adelaide Fibre Of Footy Long Sleeve Prison Bar Jumper​

PlayCorp Pty Ltd

$250.00

Shipping: Calculated at Checkout

Size: RequiredS M L XL 2XL 3XL
Current Stock:
Quantity:
Decrease Quantity: Increase Quantity:

Add to Wish List
Description
Port Adelaide Fibre Of Footy Long Sleeve Prison Bar Jumper
The Vintage Football Jumper Company, in conjunction with Woolmark and the Port Adelaide Football Club, is proud to release a series of retrospective vintage jumpers 'The Heritage Collection'.
This edition is a stunning tribute to Port Adelaide Football Club’s 150-year history, steeped in tradition, success and heritage, the famous retrospective reproduction Port Adelaide woollen jumper worn as early as 1902 is an iconic piece of Port Adelaide Football Club folklore. The famous prison bar depiction is one of the most iconic, recognised and oldest football guernseys in Australia and made famous by club legends such as Ebert, Obst, Motley, Quinn, Williams, Cahill, Wanganeen and Hodges.
The Port Adelaide Football Club is the most successful league football club in Australia. It has won a record four Champions of Australia titles, a record 36 SANFL Premierships and an AFL Premiership. The merino wool in this Guernsey was grown by sheep grazing the Australian landscape, cared for by Australian farmers, and
shorn and manufactured here in Australia.
The jumper features the traditional collar design, carries the synonymous Port Magpies woven badge, a commemorative inner back neckline canvas patch with all club premiership years and is a genuine collectible for all Port Adelaide diehards.
So you count the Premierships won in the SANFL in 1998 & 1999 when Port was in the AFL also? Does that mean the other AFL clubs count reserves premierships, VFA Premierships, Under 19's? Which ones count - or is it only Port that can include Mickey Mouse competition wins?

I do think that for non-Vic team supporters, this prison bars debate is a bit representative of the way in which the AFL's Melbournian origins still prioritise the Melbournian clubs.

Two proud clubs with a proud history? The non-Vic club has to reinvent its whole identity, and must have different colours to the Victorian club (despite this working perfectly well in many other sports around the world). Collingwood's privilege here is being part of the VFL and therefore being allowed to keep a continuous history.

From memory the deal was to not wear the PB jumper in games or on an afl field. Port should just wear it everywhere else until the AFL agrees to vary the agreement and allow them to wear it in games in SA (not against Collingwood).

Wear it for press confrences, training, when arriving for games, shoot, get Wines to wear it under a jacket for the brownlow. Image the carry on as Wines presents the browlow with a PB jumper on under the jacket. Eddies head would explode.

I think the fact this thread exists and is at 180+ pages would indicate that the policy and and it’s enforcement isn’t working all that well, which was my point.
Agree

Our policy is that white shorts is ok to prevent a jumper clash

Even u10s basketball games swap tops if teams are similar.

We need to adopt a policy that suits our competition.

We dont need every club to have a white strip, we dont need 3 or 4 kits.

All we need is each club to have two kits, and the league actually looks at jumpers when assessing a clash. If jumpers clash, the away team must play in the alternate kit.

Agree

Our policy is that white shorts is ok to prevent a jumper clash

Even u10s basketball games swap tops if teams are similar.

We need to adopt a policy that suits our competition.

We dont need every club to have a white strip, we dont need 3 or 4 kits.

All we need is each club to have two kits, and the league actually looks at jumpers when assessing a clash. If jumpers clash, the away team must play in the alternate kit.
I think a dark and white is still the simplest way to do this personally but yeh.

From your own forum:

Toast #bringbackthebars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 2

BBTB_Manifesto_DE2.pdf

What we want 1: We believe that the PAFC has the right to choose to wear a guernsey that is synonymous with its heritage and history in official AFL season games when it sees fit, in accordance with the rules set down by the AFL for team uniforms.

What we want 4: We do not recognise the need for a special case to be made for games against Collingwood at our own home ground.

So clearly it's not just about One heritage round or Two Showdown matches.
The Power want the PB for any AFL match including against Collingwood.
Stop carrying on like you've uncovered some massive conspiracy lol. You're just conflating the stance of supporters/members with that of the club.

Of course Port supporters want the bars to be the main strip. You can't stop us from wanting that, it is the most iconic symbol of Port Adelaide's origins, heritage and unparalleled success. It will never go away, and as I said earlier, the will of the people it matters to most will eventually be heard.

The club on the other hand has to face the realities of the day and work within the parameters of a league that prioritises some club's heritage over others. They are stuck trying to implement the will of the members as best they can, but have to face facts that at present getting a permanent and regular representation of the PBs is the best they can get.

So you count the Premierships won in the SANFL in 1998 & 1999 when Port was in the AFL also? Does that mean the other AFL clubs count reserves premierships, VFA Premierships, Under 19's? Which ones count - or is it only Port that can include Mickey Mouse competition wins?

It's kind of like if you tried to count Germany's gold medal tallies across Olympics-- how do you deal with the East Germans and West Germans during the cold war?

Generally a club will count all premierships won by the first team, regardless of the league won in. For 1998/99 it is complicated, because they were won by the most senior PAMFC side in the SANFL. Once the PAMFC were amalgamated back into PAFC in 2011, their 14 year history had to be recognised as well, so their two flags have been subsumed as PAFC flags.

It's messy and I don't place any great stake in the difference between 34 and 36 SANFL flags, but for some supporters they do mean a lot. Some SANFL port legends were still involved in those PAMFC flags, and they represented a reassuring continuation of local dominance as the bold new world of AFL football became normalised.

They are stuck trying to implement the will of the members as best they can, but have to face facts that at present getting a permanent and regular representation of the PBs is the best they can get.
Tis simple, introduce the PB design with different colours.

That retains the clear link to Port, which lighting bolts and chevrons miss.

The black n white Port magpies aint coming into AFL.

I think a dark and white is still the simplest way to do this personally but yeh.
Tis simple, but then you get into weird space of is red a dark strip etc.

And why force Richmond out of their yellow kit and instead make them play a white kit? The yellow is a perfect alternate to black based.

Every club just needs two kits.

Traditional crap from the 1950s like away white shorts, white number panels etc should be in the bin as they dont solve jumper clashes.

It's kind of like if you tried to count Germany's gold medal tallies across Olympics-- how do you deal with the East Germans and West Germans during the cold war?

Generally a club will count all premierships won by the first team, regardless of the league won in. For 1998/99 it is complicated, because they were won by the most senior PAMFC side in the SANFL. Once the PAMFC were amalgamated back into PAFC in 2011, their 14 year history had to be recognised as well, so their two flags have been subsumed as PAFC flags.

It's messy and I don't place any great stake in the difference between 34 and 36 SANFL flags, but for some supporters they do mean a lot. Some SANFL port legends were still involved in those PAMFC flags, and they represented a reassuring continuation of local dominance as the bold new world of AFL football became normalised.
What a terrible example. Counting East Germany/West Germany would be like counting Brisbane/Fitzroy - two teams that were competing at the top level. Not one team playing for a short time at the top level and a long time at suburban level. What Port are doing is like if Australia counted Olympic medals and Commonwealth Games medals and called them all Olympic medals.

The Commonwealth games has always been a low level completion that very few other countries care about or see as anything more than a glorified club meet that is becoming more irrelevant as time goes on. Similar to the SANFL in the Football world.

If Port Adelaide can count a suburban league Premiership as an AFL premiership - I'm counting my under 10 c grade basketball trophy as a Norm Smith medal.

What a terrible example. Counting East Germany/West Germany would be like counting Brisbane/Fitzroy - two teams that were competing at the top level. Not one team playing for a short time at the top level and a long time at suburban level. What Port are doing is like if Australia counted Olympic medals and Commonwealth Games medals and called them all Olympic medals.

The Commonwealth games has always been a low level completion that very few other countries care about or see as anything more than a glorified club meet that is becoming more irrelevant as time goes on. Similar to the SANFL in the Football world.

If Port Adelaide can count a suburban league Premiership as an AFL premiership - I'm counting my under 10 c grade basketball trophy as a Norm Smith medal.
The Germany example reflects that Port was one, then forcibly split in two, and then reunified. And Port are not claiming them as AFL premierships, they are just counting their club premierships as any club will do. Recording their history because it matters to them, not to you. But thanks for that haughty spiel.

Tis simple, but then you get into weird space of is red a dark strip etc.

And why force Richmond out of their yellow kit and instead make them play a white kit? The yellow is a perfect alternate to black based.

Every club just needs two kits.

Traditional crap from the 1950s like away white shorts, white number panels etc should be in the bin as they dont solve jumper clashes.
If it aint white its dark. Sydney is probably the only confusing one.

Richmond is unlucky, their clash kit works but they are victims of the fact that in spite of having a good clash kit we still seem to have clashes every other week.

Every has their home kit and then a predominantly white one. Again this isnt the only solution, its just the easiest and until the AFL works their s**t out i wont be convinced their is a better way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it aint white its dark. Sydney is probably the only confusing one.

Richmond is unlucky, their clash kit works but they are victims of the fact that in spite of having a good clash kit we still seem to have clashes every other week.

Every has their home kit and then a predominantly white one. Again this isnt the only solution, its just the easiest and until the AFL works their s**t out i wont be convinced their is a better way.
I'm sick of teams that don't have white as one of their colours, having white thrown in (particularly in shorts) and sometimes it happens against teams with white in them

The Germany example reflects that Port was one, then forcibly split in two, and then reunified. And Port are not claiming them as AFL premierships, they are just counting their club premierships as any club will do. Recording their history because it matters to them, not to you. But thanks for that haughty spiel.
Melbourne has
13 AFL Premierships as Melbourne
12 Reserves premierships as Melbourne
4 VFL premierships partnering with Sandringham
5 VFL/VFA Premierships as Springvale/Casey
2AFL night series premierships
1 AFL pre season cup premiership
1 AFLX Premiership.

So Melbourne has won 38 premierships. Does that sound right to Port Adelaide?

Will re-visit this thread in 12 months time when Port Power fans are screaming that they want to wear prison bar jumpers and be called the Magpies and burn any merchandise with teal in it.

Melbourne has
13 AFL Premierships as Melbourne
12 Reserves premierships as Melbourne
4 VFL premierships partnering with Sandringham
5 VFL/VFA Premierships as Springvale/Casey
2AFL night series premierships
1 AFL pre season cup premiership
1 AFLX Premiership.

So Melbourne has won 38 premierships. Does that sound right to Port Adelaide?
Does any reasonable Port fan actually say theyve won 36 (or whatever) AFL premierships?

35 Sanfl and 1 Afl would be equivalent in your comparison to 12 VFL and 1 AFL for them im pretty sure. The rest arent comparable

I'm sick of teams that don't have white as one of their colours, having white thrown in (particularly in shorts) and sometimes it happens against teams with white in them
Not for nothing but for my example, North and Geelong (Collingwood as well) would be a white home jumper and would always have white shorts. Anyone plays them as the away team they are just wearing their regular kit with colored shorts. Their "clash" kit would be dark.

Not for nothing but for my example, North and Geelong (Collingwood as well) would be a white home jumper and would always have white shorts. Anyone plays them as the away team they are just wearing their regular kit with colored shorts. Their "clash" kit would be dark.
100% agree.

Home team picks their home jumper. Shorts match dominant colour of jumper. Away team wears light/dark alternative strip with shorts matching dominant colour of jumper

It is so simple and I can't how the AFL can't sort it out for some stupid reason

100% agree.

Home team picks their home jumper. Shorts match dominant colour of jumper. Away team wears light/dark alternative strip with shorts matching dominant colour of jumper

It is so simple and I can't how the AFL can't sort it out for some stupid reason
Also FWIW im well aware that the White/Colored rule isnt the only solutuon its just the simplest solution in writing and execution. Seeing the AFL seem to not be able to make a policy that doesnt fail at every opportunity im proposing this as a foolproof solution.

Next weekend can't come fast enough so we can talk about how Richmond should wear yellow shorts with their clash strip instead of Port's fake/real history bollocks

Lol

Everything will be back on track come Friday. Collingwood will probably run out in all black against Melbourne's navy.

Lol

Everything will be back on track come Friday. Collingwood will probably run out in all black against Melbourne's navy.
"but they have white shorts!" kill me now

EDIT: I jest but Collingwood are one of the few teams that gets their kits right. It is usually those around them (looking at you Essendon, Geelong in finals and Carlton) that * it up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back