Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't really see what would've been the issue with Brisbane wearing their maroon shorts.

But as much as I think white shorts for teams without white should be abolished, there's not really going to be any serious confusion on the weekend with the proposed uniforms. Thankfully (for many reasons) Carlton didn't make it through.

need the opinion of someone who actually plays football: if you're trying to get a ball out of a pack situation, are you looking for jumper colour OR shorts (or both)?
It’s been 10 years since I played but it was usually a bit of both. Scrapping for the footy under a pack sometimes you rely on shorts and socks.

need the opinion of someone who actually plays football: if you're trying to get a ball out of a pack situation, are you looking for jumper colour OR shorts (or both)?

there isn't going to be an issue for the players in this match. it's the presentation of the grand final, a national match. it would be clean and differentiated most effectively with Collingwood in white shorts. The AFL's decision will have both teams with a fair deal of white in their strip.

like I said on the previous page, FIFA & UEFA adjust it based on predominant colours for finals. It works very well.

This isn’t about the weekend cause really there is no combo of jumpers here that is gonna cause any issue but I still don’t get the constant push for Collingwood to wear their designated away strip all the time.

I understand people would prefer they wore the white but their home strip is their choice and frankly the most logical thing to do would be have them, as the higher seed, wear their home strip or their choice of strip and have the opposition, whoever that may be, wear the best contrasting strip.

You push for Collingwood now and it leads to exactly the sort of s**t we keep seeing with Carlton when they play.

I get the argument Collingwood in the white is best for this match up but they’ve done everything right with nominating a home strip, nominating a suitable away strip and wearing it when needed. It’s not their issue the afl is ******* obsessed with white shorts for the away team and it’s not their issue the AFLs policy is dumb and poorly implemented.

I mean, it’s not the worst clash, but they’ve basically just gone the worst possible combo for this game.

Collingwood in all black

Brisbane in the darkest of their two jumpers (against black)

Brisbane in white shorts (one of Collingwood’s colours)

I’ve said it before, it is like they try to make it as bad as possible.

I am okay with the Lions wearing their normal jumper. If anything, I’d prefer if Collingwood went back to a white jumper with black stripes as their primary kit
- that’s the one that has the most history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also how much do sponsors have to do with it… I wonder if any of the clubs have it written into their contracts should they make a GF.

Sponsors (breast / under number) are generally reversed on away jumpers and I believe this is the case with both Coll and Bris.

Collingwood are Nike and it’s virtually impossible for them to get new designs printed quickly - it could impact what gets directed for a GF.

Also how much do sponsors have to do with it… I wonder if any of the clubs have it written into their contracts should they make a GF.

Sponsors (breast / under number) are generally reversed on away jumpers and I believe this is the case with both Coll and Bris.

Collingwood are Nike and it’s virtually impossible for them to get new designs printed quickly - it could impact what gets directed for a GF.
I stand to be corrected but I couldn’t imagine there would be any way the sponsors and clubs could have an agreement in place for this given they wouldn’t know if they’d make finals, let alone a grand final and then be dictated to regarding a clash jumper.

I stand to be corrected but I couldn’t imagine there would be any way the sponsors and clubs could have an agreement in place for this given they wouldn’t know if they’d make finals, let alone a grand final and then be dictated to regarding a clash jumper.

On Planet Earth, yes. This is Planet AFL.

I understand people would prefer they (Collingwood) wore the white but their home strip is their choice and frankly the most logical thing to do would be have them, as the higher seed, wear their home strip or their choice of strip and have the opposition, whoever that may be, wear the best contrasting strip.

I agree with what you say about Collingwood's home and alternate uniforms. However, despite the jibes from most of us interstate supporters, this isn't Collingwood's home match whether it's at their home ground, using their home ponsford stand sheds, or as the 'highest ranked' team.

It's a Grand Final. Both clubs should be equal as to their status on the day. The AFL should attempt to accommodate both clubs in their main singlet as much as possible. There are recent match-ups, such as 2017 & 2019 GFs where main singlets don't provide a great differentiation so one team was required to where a change uniform. In this case, though, both clubs can wear their main singlets, and then the AFL can further improve differentiation and presentation with the allocation of shorts/socks (although AFL clubs don't really do alternate socks), as they have done in the past with Geelong Grand Finals prior to last year, and the 2018 GF for Collingwood. The most effective combo is for Saturday's match is Collingwood in white shorts, and Brisbane Lions in maroon.

I agree with what you say about Collingwood's home and alternate uniforms. However, despite the jibes from most of us interstate supporters, this isn't Collingwood's home match whether it's at their home ground, using their home ponsford stand sheds, or as the 'highest ranked' team.

It's a Grand Final. Both clubs should be equal as to their status on the day. The AFL should attempt to accommodate both clubs in their main singlet as much as possible. There are recent match-ups, such as 2017 & 2019 GFs where main singlets don't provide a great differentiation so one team was required to where a change uniform. In this case, though, both clubs can wear their main singlets, and then the AFL can further improve differentiation and presentation with the allocation of shorts/socks (although AFL clubs don't really do alternate socks), as they have done in the past with Geelong Grand Finals prior to last year, and the 2018 GF for Collingwood. The most effective combo is for Saturday's match is Collingwood in white shorts, and Brisbane Lions in maroon.
I’d argue the “most” effective is Collingwood in full clash (white jumper and white shorts). Also if its not their home game then who calls the toss? Ultimately it is their home game as per precedent and higher finish.

Is it fair that happens? I’d say it’s not given they finished first and under any system this is would be designated their home game.

To be clear I’m not a Collingwood supporter, nor am I a fan but if you’re gonna have this policy then the only reasonable way to apply it is to note that one of these teams is designated “home”. Logic and precedent says that in this game it would be collingwood and bear in mind my team played in a grand final, against Collingwood, as the “away” team and wore its clash jumper and I thought that made complete sense. In that same game it could easily have been argued that saints in their home jumper against collingwood in white would have worked for “tradition” but frankly if you want a tradition convo, start a tradition thread. This is the clash thread.

Last edited:
It's a Grand Final. Both clubs should be equal as to their status on the day. The AFL should attempt to accommodate both clubs in their main singlet as much as possible.
I suppose fundamentally this is the part of your post that I completely disagree with.

Ultimately the policy and its implementation is just a farce and the AFL really needs to change and simplify it. Now if the AFL decides that “the greatest contrast” supersedes all and we wind up with Collingwood wearing their clash in home games then so be it, at least that’s something. My initial post was just noting that if that’s the way we go you’ll never, ever see Carlton and Richmond and co wearing a clash jumper. I like the saints clash and have no real attachment to this rusted on history man others do so I wouldn’t personally care about it but I also acknowledge that’s not really equitable.

To me the most logical solution (and some might not agree with me) is that every game has a home and an away team, including the grand final (which is dictated by the higher finishing team).

Home team either wears home kit in all instances OR is allowed to chose.

Away team is then directed by the AFL what they wear to ensure the greatest difference between the two teams.

Now I would personally go a step further and say the away team should always be in their clash jumper (and I’ve noted before that all teams should have a predominantly white clash and a third strip of a different color for when they play a team with a white home jumper but that’s just my personal thing cause the AFL is so inept and so many fans refuse clash jumpers) but I also realize that’s not required if the policy was just properly applied.

Again, I don’t think this weekend will be an issue even with the screengrab above (make any image small enough and it’s gonna look like a clash) I just don’t agree with the sheer volume of people that want Collingwood forever in their clash because it’s more traditional and it means other teams don’t have to wear their clash. Collingwood isn’t the issue, they’ve actually got themselves a clash jumper that is effective and everyone likes, the AFLs idiotic policy and lack of desire to implement it is the issue.

I mean, it’s not the worst clash, but they’ve basically just gone the worst possible combo for this game.

Collingwood in all black

Brisbane in the darkest of their two jumpers (against black)

Brisbane in white shorts (one of Collingwood’s colours)

I’ve said it before, it is like they try to make it as bad as possible.

Yep. It's completely ridiculous. White shorts for a team that has no white in their uniform. Who makes these decisions?

If they went for the same uniforms as in the 2002-2003 Grand Finals there would be no clash. I was at both those games and in terms of distinguishing between the two sides it was fine.

By using Geelong you’re ignoring one simple fact, Geelongs home jumper is predominantly white so white shorts is the default option for that jumper

Collingwood’s home jumper is predominately black so black shorts is the default option

We wore white in 2018 because we were the away team.

Another factor, this is a terrible precedent.

Brisbane and Collingwood wear a clash strip whenever each play each other. But for the Grand Final, they don't. Now, you could successfully argue that they dont heavily clash in the first place or any clash can be worked out with CORRECT usage of different colored shorts. but still......Just think this is 2016 Grand Final match up and next year it is Adelaide v Richmond. I think you would find it a lot harder to get Richmond into a clash.

The same rules need to be applied to grand finals and the regular season.

I am thankful that both Carlton and Collingwood did not make it. otherwise, we would have had "that mess"

Another factor, this is a terrible precedent.

Brisbane and Collingwood wear a clash strip whenever each play each other. But for the Grand Final, they don't. Now, you could successfully argue that they dont heavily clash in the first place or any clash can be worked out with CORRECT usage of different colored shorts. but still......Just think this is 2016 Grand Final match up and next year it is Adelaide v Richmond. I think you would find it a lot harder to get Richmond into a clash.

The same rules need to be applied to grand finals and the regular season.

I am thankful that both Carlton and Collingwood did not make it. otherwise, we would have had "that mess"
Whilst i completely agree with you the AFL dont give a s**t about precedent or logic in any way shape or form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back