Discussion Jumper decisions that have been influenced by on-field results

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 12, 2008
The North of Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Thought this might be an interesting discussion. I was thinking about how if GWS beat Sydney in the upcoming elimination final, we'll be far more likely to see the "Never Surrender" guernsey adopted as a permanent home jumper than if they lose. It got me thinking about all the other times jumpers have been elevated or canned based on the association between them and on-field results.

One that immediately came to mind was North's argentina strip.
1629884124167.png
This is a perfectly acceptable footy jumper. Unfortunately, it was a clash jumper designed for two specific matchups: Geelong and Collingwood, and was worn from 2009-2011, years in which those two clubs won every flag between them. As a result, it was worn for some truly horrible beatings and became associated with failure.

Here's an example of the opposite:
1629884291544.png
The Saints have worn many different jumpers over the years, but it's unlikely they'll ever permanently change out of the one they won their premiership in. I'm personally not a fan of this jumper, I think the all black back with a red section on only one side makes it unbalanced for clash purposes. From some angles it's red white and black, from others it's mainly just black. Makes it awkward for a number of matchups. They've worn some fantastic alternate designs over the years. Almost everything they put out during the heritage rounds was a step up, in my opinion. The crusader is as iconic as it is stylish. Returning to my initial point, had they won the 1997 premiership, it would almost certainly still be their primary home jumper today.

Anyone got some more examples?

I reckon there's a bucket load of clash jumpers that would have survived longer if they'd been worn during a winning era. Premiership points make everything more palatable.
Yeah, you'd think Richmond will keep this clash for a long time seeing as they broke a drought in it.

Part of the Prison Bar jumper's appeal comes from the sheer amount of premierships won in it. It is for this reason that Port fans will not accept an alteration to the design as a compromise, we never won premierships in black and teal bars.

Yeah, you'd think Richmond will keep this clash for a long time seeing as they broke a drought in it.

They've already made it the full time VFL jumper. I'm sure it's also partly because Werribee were in the VFL first, but the fact that it's the premiership jumper helps.

Bombers went the straight inverse strip to not much love, but when the Tigers did it and won a flag, everyone loved it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like the only reason we still wear the pinstripe clash is from it's association with that 2018 season, specifically the prelim final victory.

It was binned last year in favour of a 1990 inspired clash jumper, but seems to have made a return with Nike coming on-board. Personally I feel like it's run its course, bring it back as a throwback in maybe 10 years time but I honestly much prefer the cleaner look without the pinstripes, just my thoughts.

1629938492967.png

I feel like the only reason we still wear the pinstripe clash is from it's association with that 2018 season, specifically the prelim final victory.

It was binned last year in favour of a 1990 inspired clash jumper, but seems to have made a return with Nike coming on-board. Personally I feel like it's run its course, bring it back as a throwback in maybe 10 years time but I honestly much prefer the cleaner look without the pinstripes, just my thoughts.

View attachment 1217114
I love our pin-stripe clash. But part of that reason could because we have had some success in it. I wish they'd move our home jumper to a white base with pinstripes, something similar to our 125th anniversary Guernsey as it is still dark enough. It retains some our history but also looked modern, then we could have a more black clash and a mostly white clash.

Collingwood-125-2017.gif

Melbourne moving away from white (or in 2008, silver) clash guernseys, they never made a finals series while wearing whites apart from their shorts

I'm pretty sure Crows fans are averse to wearing a red clash due to poor performance history in various iterations over the years.

1629966354067.png

Just the one red design I reckon - the one above from 2006-09. Only won 3 of 12 games in it, with one of the losses being the 07 elimination final against Hawthorn were Buddy ran riot. It was widely considered to be "cursed". I'm not sure thats what actually led to the club ditching it, I think it was more the decision to move to the white jumper that saw its demise, but fair to say most Crows fans were happy to see the back of it. Interestingly among collectors its now become a bit of a cult classic.

The 2016-17 gold jumper was an interesting one. Seemed to be either loved or despised by large parts of our supporter base. The hate was not so much due to losing because it didn't actually get much of a run and we ended up with a 3-2 record in it. It was more because many people had gotten used to a white jumper (after nearly everyone being dead against it when it was first introduced in 2010) and just didn't like the brighter base. Its usage in the infamous game against North in Hobart where they scored 10 goals to our no score in the first quarter certainly didn't help people warm to it either. Whats interesting is that despite the hate for that one, I feel like the current gold clash has actually had a lot more support. Maybe the design being closer to the home jumper is all that they needed to feel better about it.

The Lions moved back to the post-merge Lion in an attempt to refresh the brand, thankfully the silly paddlepop design had only lasted about 6 years. The paddlepop left more ceremoniously than it arrived, fans voted it out.

Edit: I should add that we were current Suns-level placing like 5 years in a row.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back