Discussion Jumper decisions that have been influenced by on-field results

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 12, 2008
The North of Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This could probably just be moved to the Jumper Ideas thread but seeming it's slightly on topic.

View attachment 1220380 View attachment 1220379

I like this idea. I'm a big fan of the idea of just doing away with white as a feature of their jumpers. it's not necessary, it's not like Carlton who need a second colour for their monogram and numbers, GWS have two unique colours that contrast well.

But I also like the centred G, so could go either way

Gratees

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
GWS seem to be moving away from white in general, The white G this year was made alot smaller on the home jumper and the clash was made mostly orange, Wouldn't be surprised if the never surrender kit becomes the home kit next year, Not that i actually think its that good. The indiginous kit is the only kit with white but that was designed last year? I think 2020

The indiginous kit is the only kit with white but that was designed last year? I think 2020
Yea your right on that, they just changed the G to the middle. But I hope they will adapt on that with a full white and guernsey, orange cuffs and numbers, and a orange G.

Sep 16, 2016
I have no idea
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Quite a few
Bit old but I did this up a couple of years ago:

Greater Western Sydney.png

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
I love the throwback red collar on the Bulldogs strip.

Considering people seem to love the Never Surrender as the Giants home jersey despite the lack of orange, could a classic old school orange collar spice it up a bit? But like... An ACTUAL collar. (Or not an actual one, either/or).

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken

Considering people seem to love the Never Surrender as the Giants home jersey despite the lack of orange, could a classic old school orange collar spice it up a bit? But like... An ACTUAL collar. (Or not an actual one, either/or).
Kind of like the WSW?

Gratees

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond

GWS.png
GWS 2.png

The Adelaide mid-00's red clash has always been associated with floggings

I think it's inherent that most clash jumpers will become associated with losses. Teams generally don't wear clash jumpers at home, and teams are generally worse in away games. Plus being out of the norm, they tend to stick in the mind more.

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
Yea your right on that, they just changed the G to the middle. But I hope they will adapt on that with a full white and guernsey, orange cuffs and numbers, and a orange G.
Is wear they did also change the vividness of the orange as well i think. Footyjumpers doesn't reflect it, but merch does a bit (although this could be just the photos):
eg.

1630379304637.png
1630379311055.png

I tried to find in-game shots from 2019 and this year, but they're not 100% conclusive as i couldn't find exact same lighting conditions etc
2021 vs 2019
1630379579391.png
1630379605378.png

Last edited:
Is wear they did also change the vividness of the orange as well i think. Footyjumpers doesn't reflect it, but merch does a bit (although this could be just the photos):
eg.

View attachment 1222366View attachment 1222367

I tried to find in-game shots from 2019 and this year, but they're not 100% conclusive as i couldn't find exact same lighting conditions etc
2021 vs 2019
View attachment 1222381 View attachment 1222383
It's just the photo, I've got a 2020 jersey and it's a light orange like the 2021 home merch picture

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
Also the charcoal on the old jumper seemed a weird lighter nearly blueish grey unlike the charcoal like the Never Surrender jumper
That'll be more the brand/materials/lighting again, rather than a different shade. Blacks and grays are notoriously annoying to get consistent.

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
I like this idea. I'm a big fan of the idea of just doing away with white as a feature of their jumpers. it's not necessary, it's not like Carlton who need a second colour for their monogram and numbers, GWS have two unique colours that contrast well.

But I also like the centred G, so could go either way
I don't mind the centered G as well if it was slightly larger and more prominent. The only reason I like having the G to the side is because it creates a sort of yoke design, which I'm always a sucker for.

It looks more like a 'German Grey' on TV than the charcoal seen on the GWS store. This would be an issue with the material and lighting.
yea it isn't a true charcoal. Also the side design is nice but the weird side panels make me cry

Last edited:

thequarry

Team Captain
Apr 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Always thought that if the Saints won the '97 flag, they'd still be wearing the Crusader.

This 100%.

It also didn't help that the jumper cuts themselves around the time were quite boxy and made it look pretty clunky pretty quickly (this is from 1999).

gettyimages-1076750-1024x1024.jpeg

I think if the recent 2017-19 clash was filled out with the full design it would look very bold (the proportions for the Riewoldt 300th one-off in 2016 were botched a little by ISC).

As well as being an excellent jumper, the candy stripe design of 2004-06 remains such a favourite for the additional reason that the 2004 and (eventually) the 2005 seasons were so enjoyable.

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
This 100%.

It also didn't help that the jumper cuts themselves around the time were quite boxy and made it look pretty clunky pretty quickly (this is from 1999).

View attachment 1222999

I think if the recent 2017-19 clash was filled out with the full design it would look very bold (the proportions for the Riewoldt 300th one-off in 2016 were botched a little by ISC).

As well as being an excellent jumper, the candy stripe design of 2004-06 remains such a favourite for the additional reason that the 2004 and (eventually) the 2005 seasons were so enjoyable.
Just an idea I had for a black-based Crusader. Probably more suitable as a home kit.

1630487253923.png

Gratees

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Interesting that the Giants are wearing the never surrender guernsey against the cats

Back